British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mrbadexample

Wreath crown advice please

Evenin' morning all.

I want a wreath crown. No, I need a wreath crown. Even if it's the only one I ever get, I need an example. 

So, I was looking at the 1927, as they have the highest mintage and were proofs so I should be able to get a decent one. I've seen this one on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1927-WREATH-CROWN-GEORGE-V-BRITISH-SILVER-PROOF-COIN-SUPERB-/262204017546?hash=item3d0c93cb8a:g:tvcAAOSw5IJWeWcO which seems ok but as it's a few quid I thought I'd seek advice here first.

Firstly, is the price reasonable? I don't have an up to date price guide at the moment. Secondly, does it look ok? There's a bit of a ding on the rim of the crown plus a couple of small marks on the obverse but apart from that seems reasonable. 

What do you think?

Cheers,

MBE

Morning MBE. Like you, I needed an example of a wreath crown a while back, being a type collector, and the 1927 proof seemed the best route to high grade for my buck.

I think the one in your post looks ok (as in genuine), but it does have slight wear (noticeable on the thistles, for example), and that ding you mention ... you could do a little better for the same money imo, or better still for not a lot more.

If it helps, I went for this from a DNW auction in June 2013 for £250 all in, and I subsequently had it graded as CGS 85 (Choice UNC -BU)

1927_cr_pf_1200x600_cgs.png

Edited by Paulus

Thanks Paulus, that does help. I like yours. I think I might have to sit on my hands for a while and search outside ebay. :unsure:

Hmmm, nice reverse but there are quite a few contact marks on the obverse. I don't know that it's significantly better than the ebay one. It'll be interesting to see how much it goes for. Thanks for looking though - there's another auction site I didn't know existed. :D 

Your getting a bit picky now Jon :D

How things change from buying............RANG TANG ;)

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Your getting a bit picky now Jon :D

How things change from buying............RANG TANG ;)

I'm picky when I'm spending £250 on a coin. I'm less picky with stuff I pick up free. :P

And that 1915 ½d? I've got worse....at least it was flat. :lol:

Anyway, shouldn't you be rummaging through your spares to find something nice for me? I've got very little pre-1900. ;)

On with it .

Put a post on your begging thread.............:D

Whats this rugby you mention on your profile and live in the midlands ...was that a typo ......thats really daft unless you follow that posh game :D.

Be lucky Jon only joking and PM me on your wants.....Just so i can say i dont have them :P

RUOK4AFO2 .......loon :lol:

Perhaps you may consider a 1927 proof set for some where about GBP 800. More expensive but you get the wreath crown, halfcrown, florin, shilling, sixpence and finally threepence

in a presentation case..

A type set for the third George V coinage with the bonus of the rare florin of which only 15000 were minted which was the total number of 1927 florins minted for 1727.

13 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Perhaps you may consider a 1927 proof set for some where about GBP 800. More expensive but you get the wreath crown, halfcrown, florin, shilling, sixpence and finally threepence

in a presentation case..

A type set for the third George V coinage with the bonus of the rare florin of which only 15000 were minted which was the total number of 1927 florins minted for 1727.

That's a good idea Oz, the threepence seems to be in high demand too ...

Well funnily enough I haven't got a 1927 florin. Or threepence. It's a good idea. It also blows the budget a bit.:unsure: Hmmm...there are a few to choose from too. This one seems nice: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-1927-SILVER-PROOF-6-COIN-SET-CROWN-TO-THREEPENCE-IN-HARD-CASE-OF-ISSUE-/201517546371?hash=item2eeb61bb83:g:aH4AAOSwX~dWs3mu

Oh gawd, what have you done to me? :(

But this is where I get all nervous and distrusting - what's to say someone hasn't switched (one or more) of the coins? I don't know that I'm sufficiently clued up to notice. I have no experience of anything at that end of the market. 

Buy from someone reputable jon.

Dont know about the others but the threepence is only proof :)

The florin too.

That crown is a very nice one!

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

That crown is a very nice one!

Don't you start too! I'm having enough trouble sitting on my hands as it is! :P

Anyone used that seller?

Yes Buckscoins is a very good seller, never had trouble from them. If you have doubts you can always get back in touch and return it hassle free as well.

I need to leave this forum. You're all bad people. I come on asking for advice about a £250 coin and together you talk me into spending three times that. Now what am I going to do for beer this week, eh? You should be ashamed of yourselves. I blame the 'stralian, he started it. :rolleyes: 

• Like 2

Mo' money, mo' money!  Welcome to collecting!!!

Seriously though, that is as nice as the crown in my collection that I looked at many pieces to get and the box looks in good nick as well with the gold line inside the box lid preserved and the linen (?) nicely preserved after 90 years.

DO IT!   Ha, ha and LOL...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Looks like you (or someone) has nabbed it @mrbadexample, I hope it was you, you won't regret it! :D

Yes, poor, broke mrbadexample is waiting for the postman. :blink: