British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
IanB

Handheld magnifying glass

I noticed there is a topic on USB magnifiers but I would like some advice on general handheld magnifiers.

currently I have a cheap 4 X flip out magnifier and a 10 X loupe. I would like to replace the 4 X flip out, 

I want something that I can see the whole coin with at a decent magnification, also what are the thought on them having a built in light or should I rely on daylight?

I have a spare loupe that has a built in light. I do not use it as a general rule, where there is adequate lighting, but once in a while it is really handy to have it available at coin shows, flea markets, etc where lighting is a issue. The loupe is a 40x. so you cannot see a whole coin with it, it is too strong, but for looking for varieties, it is great.

Wow, 40 X magnification. I did not know they went that high. Does it have a manufacturers name so I can do a search?

18 minutes ago, IanB said:

I noticed there is a topic on USB magnifiers but I would like some advice on general handheld magnifiers.

currently I have a cheap 4 X flip out magnifier and a 10 X loupe. I would like to replace the 4 X flip out, 

I want something that I can see the whole coin with at a decent magnification, also what are the thought on them having a built in light or should I rely on daylight?

The one i mentioned at the start of the thread is spot on ,i have one i paid considerably more for.

The one i mentioned was for my grandaughter as she now insists on using mine all the time (she is only three) and is perfect for a full coin and you dont need to use the light switch for it to work.

The light is just an option.

Sorry Ian for any confussion.

The thread i started last night i assumed was the same one as this :D

The one i mentioned is a hand held magnifier for viewing a full coin.

Thank you Pete, I should have read that topic a bit slower and noticed you were talking about a hand held.

I have had a look on various site and there are a lot to choose from and various prices. What I was wary of was buying a shiny all singing and dancing one only to find out I should have gone for a different model.

That one is spot on for looking at a full coin and for £10 not worth messing around.

You can buy all sorts but for at home perfect.

You would however look a bit of a NOODLE carrying one round at a coin fair as quite big :D

Just bought one. If in the future you spot someone at a coin fair using one then you will recognise me as that noodle :blink:

:D

Wish i had found the same one a few years ago for £10.

Also Ian worth looking at the coin for grade then switching the light on as will show any marks better.

Pete.

Nice tip, cheers

2 hours ago, IanB said:

Wow, 40 X magnification. I did not know they went that high. Does it have a manufacturers name so I can do a search?

Here you go Ian...

http://www.amazon.com/Neon-MG21011-Illuminated-Magnifier-Magnifying/dp/B00X7IUHV4/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1455992250&sr=8-13&keywords=illuminated+loupe+40x

Thank you Bob I will be ordering one today

• Like 1

LOL  The advantage of hammered coinage is that I can get away with just using one of these.  Never felt the need to look much closer than identifying a mint mark:

mag.jpg