British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
old.currency.exchange@gmai

Help with academic study requested - survey for coin collectors

Hello,

I hope it is ok to post this request here.

I am studying for a post-grad diploma (Masters-level) and part of this requires me to do some original research on my subject audience, i.e. coin collectors.

The survey comprises 10 quick (multiple choice) questions and your response will be 100% anonymous.

It is not being used for commercial purposes, i.e. it is an academic paper.

Please click on the link below and complete the 10 questions 

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/MJLSQGP

I am happy to share my results / findings, should anyone be interested.

Thanking you in advance

James O'Brien

PS - if anyone has any questions, you can contact me at my university email address:      james.obrien86@mail.dcu.ie

• Like 1

Hi James.  Just checking.  This is for all coin collectors? 

Just your website is geared towards Irish currency (nice resource by the way) and I wasn't sure if you wanted collectors from other areas too?

(The survey (which I've completed) is quite general and quick, for anyone interested).

Edited by TomGoodheart

The questionnaire is completely general I think it's for everyone?

Completed by the way, hope it helps and good luck!

James I've removed the duplicate post from the members section, you'll do better in here at garnering results as the members section is not picked up by search engines and guests will not be able to see your post. 

A free sense of philanthropy :P 

Done! :rolleyes:

Also Done!

Done, and I would be interested in seeing the outcome.

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

A free sense of philanthropy :P 

I'm up for a bit of that. Also done.

Likewise?

And again

Done

Done

Did

I see it's geared towards Milled. Or am I reading it wrong?

Done and all the very best.

completed - kindly share outcomes

Completed for you.

Hello and thank you to all those who completed the survey.

I needed 50 replies to each question, in order to have any statistical confidence in the results. This forum membership certainly helped!

The results were formatted in a way more suited to a business paper, as opposed to a numismatic paper. However, I will publish the results and findings for a numismatic audience soon. Some of the findings were very surprising, e.g. there is a huge security issue, with evidence that criminal elements are using digital technologies to map and track collectors/dealers to the homes and, subsequently, raiding their homes while they are there (aggravated burglaries and even several murders in the USA).

Apparently, mobile phones with cameras + the Google Maps app are the culprits here.

I was attempting to estimate the size of the market for Irish coins - both in and outside of Ireland with one survey + assessing what digital technologies are used by coin collectors in general in the other. The latter was easy and I had a good response. Getting in touch with Irish collectors was much more difficult - ironically, particularly in Ireland. They seem to have gone underground !

There's a lot of data, so I'll publish it bit by bit, if that's ok with you guys.

Should I place it here, or put it on my blog?

Which would you prefer?

PS - my blog is a resource that will, hopefully, attract people who are interested in history and encourage them to collect Irish coins. It is also a resource for junior collectors looking for more info on their coins. So please do contact me if you spot any errors.

Post a link and the content itself here I think.