British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr T

forum unusable of an evening

A couple of times this week the forum hasn't loaded at all of an evening (in Australia - I think that equates to late morning in the UK). On Wednesday night the site didn't load at all and on Friday night it worked for a while but eventually it didn't load at all.

It's not an Internet issue your side? As in, did other sites load ok and just predecimal wasn't working?

And was it phone/tablet or computer?

Everything else seemed to be working but predecimal.com was timing out.

Desktop computer.

Edited by Mr T

Strange, I usually have it open at work from 9 (8 UK time) in the morning at work during the week and haven't had any problems. If it keeps happening put up another post I'll have a look and see if I can find what's causing it.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2016 at 8:21 PM, Mr T said:

A couple of times this week the forum hasn't loaded at all of an evening (in Australia - I think that equates to late morning in the UK). On Wednesday night the site didn't load at all and on Friday night it worked for a while but eventually it didn't load at all.

Sometimes heavy user activity will degrade the performance of certain websites for some curious reason. The fact that it's happening in the evening, your time, and especially on a Friday, might suggest that this is the case. Are you working from a connected ISP router?    

Edited by 1949threepence

23 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Sometimes heavy user activity will degrade the performance of certain websites for some curious reason. The fact that it's happening in the evening, your time, and especially on a Friday, might suggest that this is the case. Are you working from a connected ISP router?    

Not sure what you mean by connected ISP router.

Anyway, I tried to access the site again three times during the week at around the same time - each time it wouldn't load but everything else was working fine. I'm posting this now early on Saturday morning and it's fine.

21 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Not sure what you mean by connected ISP router.

Anyway, I tried to access the site again three times during the week at around the same time - each time it wouldn't load but everything else was working fine. I'm posting this now early on Saturday morning and it's fine.

I meant one connected by cable from a recognised internet service provider, as opposed to 3 or 4G from a phone or non wifi tablet.

As your the only one that seems to be getting the issue at the moment, it suggests that it could be a problem your side of things? I would try clearing your cache and cookies and see if that helps it at all.

Next time you have the issue, see if you can ping the forum from CMD ok. If that just sounds like jargon, sorry, I can elaborate if you need help with doing that.

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I meant one connected by cable from a recognised internet service provider, as opposed to 3 or 4G from a phone or non wifi tablet.

Oh right - yes, it's a wired connection, not 3G or anything like that.

20 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

As your the only one that seems to be getting the issue at the moment, it suggests that it could be a problem your side of things? I would try clearing your cache and cookies and see if that helps it at all.

Next time you have the issue, see if you can ping the forum from CMD ok. If that just sounds like jargon, sorry, I can elaborate if you need help with doing that.

I clear my cache whenever I turn off my computer (daily) and I think I tried pinging predecimal.com during the week when I couldn't access it but I think I got no response.

18 hours ago, Mr T said:

Oh right - yes, it's a wired connection, not 3G or anything like that.

I clear my cache whenever I turn off my computer (daily) and I think I tried pinging predecimal.com during the week when I couldn't access it but I think I got no response.

Most probably it's simply down to the quantity of traffic somewhere on the routes between Oz and wherever the predecimal.com server(s) is. Although there are huge pipes to take the digital traffic they are finite and it only takes high demand on the internet routes say out of Australia for the net to slow down and the connections to be difficult to make. Or it may be pressure of demand on one or more of the routers on the network.  

Happened again this week (Wednesday night I think).

Here's the result of pinging the site.

Pinging predecimal.com [109.74.245.158] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 109.74.245.158:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),