British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Nordle11

2015 Battle of Britain 50p

If anyone has found a few in change and has one spare, let me know :P I need to add one to my collection (the currency piece that is)

I have not seen any Battle of Britain 50p coins in circulation yet. Anyone seen them yet?

I think it is ridiculous that the mint have created 2 different designs for this coin, I suspect it could be the circulating design which ends up as the scarcer variety. 

Ian..

• Like 1

I don't get that privilege anymore :( but there are loads on eBay that have been taken out of change so they're definitely out there somewhere.

Thanks Nordle, I should have looked on eBay before asking a stupid question :(

They don't seem to have hit this area yet at all. I have friends in shops and pubs as well as on the Taxi's and they have all been trying to get one for me. So far no one has had one. Will text my sister in law in Luton. They always seem to get new coin releases before we do!!

If there really is a regional difference, I wonder if this is just down to there are more people in London so more coins get released there, or is there a specific policy for the release of commemoratives? I know the London Underground £2 coins were released by the underground in change, so there must be a mechanism to handle commemoratives differently to standard circulating coins.

Ian..

Yeah not in Manchester either, I took out £30 from the bank, although I did get 5 of the standard shield reverse

I like the idea of releasing the underground £2 coins in the underground. Perhaps the Beatrix Potter designs will be released around London too, or maybe the Lake District?

Looking forward to that design, I like the look of it.

I do like the Beatrix Potter 50p, it's a nice clean design, but as it is part of series I suspect the mint will either not release all of the series into circulation or have a rare one so they can increase sales from their website. Or am I just old and cynical?  

Probably both :D:P 

I hope they do release it though I'd quite like one without having to pay £40 plus postage :angry:

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

I like the idea of releasing the underground £2 coins in the underground. Perhaps the Beatrix Potter designs will be released around London too, or maybe the Lake District?

Looking forward to that design, I like the look of it.

I read somewhere that London Transport are the main users of £2 coins, to give change in their ticket machines

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Probably both :D:P 

You know me too well :)

I haven't yet found any of the 2015 commemoratives (Magna carta, 1st WW or Britannia) in my change - have they all been released ?

My friend just handed me the first Battle of Britain 50p. It is almost mint with only a couple of tiny bag marks. He has been looking for one for me since release. He's a taxi drive and gets loads of 50 pence's every day. First he has seen. So looks like they have just hit our area now!

• Like 2

My local pub gave me one last night, they watch out for me, they had their first two this week. 

Jerry

• Like 1

Still looking :(

2 hours ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

Still looking :(

If I get a second before the meeting its yours, unless you get one before?

1 minute ago, bhx7 said:

If I get a second before the meeting its yours, unless you get one before?

Cheers Brian :) 

• Like 1

Don't forget about me! I can't even find them in change out here :unsure:

• Like 1

Might need a trip to the bank on Saturday for some bags of 50ps 

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I have noticed the mint now charges £10 for a 50p coin , or maybe 50p for the coin and £9.50 for the packing around it

Does not sound like a good deal for anyone apart from the mint to me

I haven't seen the figures, but weren't profits about £11m last year according to someone? If so, the taxpayer should be grateful that they are turning a cost to the public purse into an income stream. £11m is nothing. I would suggest the profit from the UK commemoratives/collectibles is the difference between a profit and a loss. Sure they get some income and profit from foreign contracts, but the UK ecomony is much bigger than those territories which don't have their own mint. If that £11m wasn't made, they would only raise it from somewhere else. In all probability leaving the commemorative trade would result in a deficit which would also have to be raised elsewhere. It's all part of the bigger pot.

17 hours ago, copper123 said:

I have noticed the mint now charges £10 for a 50p coin , or maybe 50p for the coin and £9.50 for the packing around it

But they only charge £100 for a £100 coin and it comes with free packaging. BARGAIN! :ph34r:

15 hours ago, Rob said:

I haven't seen the figures, but weren't profits about £11m last year according to someone? If so, the taxpayer should be grateful that they are turning a cost to the public purse into an income stream. £11m is nothing. I would suggest the profit from the UK commemoratives/collectibles is the difference between a profit and a loss. Sure they get some income and profit from foreign contracts, but the UK ecomony is much bigger than those territories which don't have their own mint. If that £11m wasn't made, they would only raise it from somewhere else. In all probability leaving the commemorative trade would result in a deficit which would also have to be raised elsewhere. It's all part of the bigger pot.

I hope Osborn isn't a member here, giving him the idea of a "commemorative tax" on budget day!

The mint are charged with making a profit but for the business to be stable this should come from its currency production not one off's like commemoratives or the millions it is currently making from copper & nickle recycling, very short term vision. 

The problem for the mint making a profit is that the only customers are going to be countries that are too small to support their own minting facilities. With that comes small production runs. If they were making coins for large countries it would be easier to make money, but when your target customers are from countries with a few million at best, it isn't so easy.

Got one in my change today (Staffordshire ) so spreading north !!