British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

A considerable period of time must have elapsed between the early strikings and the later ones on account of the rusted reverses seen. This P724 (dies 2+A*) has large areas of rust, seen in front of Britannia. ex Hazlitt 1142, Sotheby 1909 & Foster 45, Glens 1953

114 - Copy.JPG

Nothing like as interesting or impressive as Rob's, but acquired today (low tide)

1902_hp_low_tide_01_cgs_60_uin_36786_650

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Nothing like as interesting or impressive as Rob's, but acquired today (low tide)

Good one Paulus, The Half Penny (LT) is much scarcer than the Penny (LT).

1024204.jpg

almost forgot about this one 1772/1

58 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Nice one Paulus. 

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

I like that. What grade would you say that is, GEF?

It's slabbed by CGS as 60 (EF) - I would go aEF but I am getting more and more strict as the years roll on!

Edited by Paulus

Jealous. Haven't got one of those in any grade. :(

Snaffled it at a bargain price on a Facebook Group auction :)

Worth joining some if bargain hunting, time consuming though and as much tat as eBay!

Just now, Paulus said:

Snaffled it at a bargain price on a Facebook Group auction :)

More jealous! :lol: I draw the line at Faceache groups, but that makes me think twice. It's better than my high tide. :(

• Like 1

They are often 5% proper collectors and dealers and 95% change decimal collectors who have little clue or serious interest in pre-decimal.

Our very own Chris is a member of many of them (in fact I bought something off him the other day via Facebook),as are many other members on here.

The best one is probably "English coins for sale and wanted" but as I say there are many posts about decimals and territories and non-coin stuff so it takes some time, and unlike this forum it is difficult to search or use as a resource.

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

They aren't the easiest thing to get hold of. I got mine about 10 years ago in a CGS 80 slab, but I'm sure there are a few better pieces out there.

I'll try that group but predict it will irritate the hell out of me. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

They aren't the easiest thing to get hold of. I got mine about 10 years ago in a CGS 80 slab, but I'm sure there are a few better pieces out there.

I wasn't looking for one but at the price it was just too good to pass on. Delighted to have won it now and will be keeping it!

1 minute ago, mrbadexample said:

I'll try that group but predict it will irritate the hell out of me. :rolleyes:

It will! Without doubt!

9 minutes ago, Rob said:

CGS 85 is the highest grade in their population report at the moment (for what it's worth)

Edited by Paulus

7 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I wasn't looking for one but at the price it was just too good to pass on. Delighted to have won it now and will be keeping it!

Of course. If you were looking for one you'd have found it in about Fine and bought a sixpence instead. :lol:

6 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Of course. If you were looking for one you'd have found it in about Fine and bought a sixpence instead. :lol:

So very true! Many times offers come up for coins outside my main interest at very good prices which I might buy to sell on, or expand my collecting interest.

Just another avenue, along with dealers' sites, personal contacts, traditional auction houses, coin fairs, internet only auction sites (check Catawiki once a week), general auctions via The Saleroom et al, and so on

It's totally buyer beware if buying over Facebook, unless paying by Paypal G&S or high value by credit card (rarely offered)

Edited by Paulus

The 1902 HP LT was offered for auction on the Facebook group at 99p start by a VERY well known dealer - but I cannot mention his name on here!

25 minutes ago, Paulus said:

CGS 85 is the highest grade in their population report at the moment (for what it's worth)

Just rummaging through my tickets and it appears that it was the one thousand and first coin they slabbed if the number 0001001 at the beginning means that. I've assumed so because the other info is definitely coin descriptive.

FWIW, I have seen very few Ed.7 halfpennies with well struck up finger detail despite being unc. I suspect that the design was too fine to avoid blocking at this point.

Edited by Rob

1 minute ago, Rob said:

Just rummaging through my tickets and it appears that it was the one thousand and first coin they slabbed if the number 0001001 at the beginning means that. I've assumed so because the other info is definitely coin descriptive.

Yes that's exactly what the UIN number means ... funnily enough the highest known in their pop report is 0001002, this has no relation to the grade, but does mean that the higher grade coin was either submitted by the same owner in the same batch, or is a total coincidence!

Alex might have got hold of a batch of them. There has been a number of 20-50 lots of 100 year old coins touted around over the past few years. 50 mint state 1905 sixpences spring to mind

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Alex might have got hold of a batch of them. There has been a number of 20-50 lots of 100 year old coins touted around over the past few years. 50 mint state 1905 sixpences spring to mind

That would make sense. Batches submitted (in my experience) always have consecutive UIN numbers. The numbers 1001 and 1002 also coincide with about 10 years ago, soon after CGS first started.

On 03/03/2016 at 0:13 PM, Rob said:

he mint relocated from Tower Hill to Iver during WW2

Did it?

8 hours ago, Paulus said:

Very nice Paul.So much for common dates/varieties.:)