British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Yey. Scott's back! Top coin: New to me, but possibly 7 over 0? Would make more sense than 7 over 6.

looks more like the top of the 6 then a zero

1773 halfpenny with OR over O and struck on a spread flan of about 32mm diameter.

095 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

1738 halfpenny with V/S in GEORGIVS. This error is clearly seen in grades down to at least fair. Not common though, as I've only recorded 7 examples in all grades.

039 - Copy (2).JPG

• Like 1

1734/3. Better by a full grade compared to the other two I have seen. RRR in any grade.

038 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

1719, 1st obverse with grained edge.

041 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

And the reverse.

There is a note at the bottom of Norweb 2 lot 520 stating the other known example of this type has the provenance ex Caldecott, ex Dean Rogers, Brand-Lichtenfels Sale (Kreisberg/Schulman, New York 18/3/64 lot 2737) and SNC March 1965 (CC1324). However, the appearance of a rather worn example in Baldwin’s Basement sale suggests that piece was the ex Roger’s example as it was accompanied by a note stating a gift from C W Peck 1951 who noted there were only 2 examples known. As Peck’s piece passed to Norweb when his collection was sold, this would therefore appear to be a third and previously unrecorded third example, but a bit of digging has shown this to be the Caldecott piece, bought by Brand, and sold in the US in 1964 before reappearing in the Circular in 1965. Norweb's went to Nicholson. It was the Rogers piece surfacing that finally resulted in 1 and 1 making 3, because it had been in Baldwin's basement since Rogers' death in 1961 and so could not be either this piece, or Norweb's

042 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

These kind of posts are what keep me inspired to widen my knowledge and collection, thanks yet again Rob, I know I will not be the only one to appreciate you sharing this info and pics! :)  

• Like 1

Don't see too many of these.

109 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

:ph34r:

Shouldn't fool anybody, but you never know. Footnote in Peck applies here.

124 - Copy - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

Last one for tonight, and one that I forgot to put on the revised list of halfpennies - will do for the next edition.

A halfpenny struck on a piece of brass bar when the mint relocated from Tower Hill to Iver during WW2. Used to test the striking pressure as I understand.

012 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Rob
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Rob said:

:ph34r:

Shouldn't fool anybody, but you never know. Footnote in Peck applies here.

124 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Any idea what it was originally?

It's a rev B with the dots on the shield, so restricted to those years. You can't tell which though.

On 28/02/2016 at 0:56 AM, Paulus said:

My only 1861 halfpenny is this pathetic grade Freeman 5+G 1 over higher 1 in date (is the attribution ok?)

1861_hp_01_01_cgs_8_uin_17076_1000.jpg

Looks like a 6+G to me. Having said that, the image quality doesn't help. I've got a 6+G 1 over higher one on the site for comparison if you need it.

https://www.rpcoins.co.uk/collections/half/products/00002572

P2037, decimal pattern halfpenny struck in Cupro-Nickel. Ex Baron Ferrari de la Renotiere 399, (Sotheby 1922), V M Brand & M J Freeman 221. The wax is from the 1922 sale.

c1167 - 1859 Cu-Ni decimal pattern halfpenny P2037.jpg

• Like 1

Another I had not seen before, please excuse the ignorant question, but what relates this to the Victorian decimal 'trial' ?

This is just one of a number of patterns made in the period 1857-9 leading up to the bronze issues. Most of them had the word decimal in the legend, but not all. In fact some only had a number or fraction, or even nothing at all. You also had things like One Dime, One Centum, 10 Centimes etc, so they were clearly influenced by foreign currencies as well as retaining good old British units.

Edited by Rob

Fascinating, so this would have represented 1/200th of a pound, rather than 1/480th?

Anne P724 pattern halfpenny obverse. This is the later obverse die, identifiable by the lack of serif to the base of the right limb of the N.

113 - Copy.JPG