British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

A thread for halfpennies, which seem to be the Cinderellas of the bronze series, perhaps because they generally have suffered far more wear than the popular pennies and farthings

Ok - first thread. Any thoughts on this odd 3 (bottom picture) in an 1863. Crap condition so perhaps just wear giving an odd appearance

1863%20different%203s.jpg

Edited by davidrj
  • Like 1

It looks like the same bottom half of the 3 (compared to the second picture) but the top serif is slanting downwards, unlike the second one.

Broken 3 punch? The missing bit added later?

Could be Rob. A curio for now labelled as F.292a :rolleyes:

slowly trying to upgrade the washers I saved from circulation, only 4 short of a basic date set 1860-1970 in clear date,

delighted to get this one from French Ebay a while back for €20.

1871F3087G.jpg

Freeman has this as R13, rarer than both the 1869 or 1871 pennies, shows how inflated penny prices are. So 2016 is going to be the year of the halfpenny for me

Edited by davidrj
  • Like 2

An area I keep finding myself drawn to as well...I must resist!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, davidrj said:

A thread for halfpennies, which seem to be the Cinderellas of the bronze series, perhaps because they generally have suffered far more wear than the popular pennies and farthings

Indeed so, David. They are the Cinderella underdogs to their much bigger cousins, the pennies.

I'm led to understand that during the 1950's and 60's, for example, there were very few really old halfpennies still in circulation, whereas a relatively high number of buns, veiled and Edward VII pennies were obviously still circulating - presumably, as you say, because of the accelerated amount of wear they sustained.      

Here I go,I confess.....I like halfpennies:rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, Peter said:

Here I go,I confess.....I like halfpennies:rolleyes:

So do I!! And pennies (except those silly micro-varieties!) :rolleyes:

I like all the half pennies from Victoria forward, including the varieties! :-)

Bob, I'm sure you could list on the back of a postage stamp the coins you dislike.;)

• Like 1

I remember i had a 1865/3 halfpenny clear as a bell overdate - got sold years ago and the money reinvested in my collection , farthings probably

Was a lovely coin in fine or so grade and very rare and underated it often goes six or eight months before one appears on ebay

As copper halfpenny and farthing varieties have always been an interest of mine this would be a thread I'd happily follow and contribute to.

So, for the sake of showing a bit of willing here's one from me which, although originally posted a couple of years ago, might be of interest here to anyone who hasn't seen it. A 1718 halfpenny with the first N of Britannia over an A. An extremely rare and unlisted variety but lower grade and less obvious examples do appear in the Dr. Nicholson and Joe Lee collections. 

2016-02-19 10.55.48.jpg

2016-02-19 10.51.19.jpg

1718-N:A.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Bob, I'm sure you could list on the back of a postage stamp the coins you dislike.;)

I think you are on to something there Peter! Ha,Ha...:)

5 hours ago, copper123 said:

I remember i had a 1865/3 halfpenny clear as a bell overdate - got sold years ago and the money reinvested in my collection , farthings probably

Was a lovely coin in fine or so grade and very rare and underated it often goes six or eight months before one appears on ebay

Copper,

I have a 1865/3 that has a really clogged top half of the 5, but is still a clear 5 over 3. I'll try to find it and display a pic.

Here you go Coppers.........

1865 over 3-2.jpg

1865 over 3.jpg

1865 over 3-3.jpg

• Like 4

WWWWWWWWooooooo    just like miy old one that one - same grade as well - you did not happen to buy it in 2007 did you?

• Like 1

I bought it from Bob Reis, a mail order dealer here in the USA. I've had it a long time, but don't recall how long it has been. It is for sale on my website...10% off to Forum members.

http://shop.rlccoins.com/1865-3-Half-Penny-184.htm

Edited by RLC35
  • Like 1

Is Bob Reis still selling? I've bought some strange and wonderful stuff from him years ago.

He still is selling, but seldom has anything of interest for me. He used to carry some pretty good stuff, but not so much anymore. I haven't purchased anything off of him in years.

Well i sold my  coin in 2007 for around £25 and yours is for sale for around £42 so i think it is priced about right , it should not sell too fast but it also should not "stick" at that price .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RLC35 said:

I bought it from Bob Reis, a mail order dealer here in the USA. I've had it a long time, but don't recall how long it has been. It is for sale on my website...10% off to Forum members.

http://shop.rlccoins.com/1865-3-Half-Penny-184.htm

Coin is SOLD!.......

• Like 1

Another to share from me…..

Not a rare coin but harder to find than the 1806, particularly in higher grades. Nice too that it has some original lustre remaining.

2016-02-21 10.20.20.jpg

2016-02-21 10.21.36.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Is that little letter to the left of the shield standard ??

Yeah they all have the K on the design. It's the initial of the designer - Conrad Heinrich Kuchler