British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul D.

Help with coin identification/dating please

Hello everyone

My partner has just given me some old coins of hers (knowing I am a history lover) that she had found from her youth whilst digging in her garden and other places she has found them e.g. Nottingham. I have identified one as a Tudor era coin (either henry the 7th or 8th) and one mystery coin which seems to be gold plated as the sides have worn off revealing silver. there is a third coin which seems to be very old but the faces have worn off so I cannot identify It at this moment In time, it is currently sitting in a vinegar bath so if any features are revealed I will post it on here later on.

as for the golden coin it seems to have depictions based from the roman catholic church, for example, on one side it seems to have an angel defeating a sea serpent and or mythical creature with tentacles where as on the other side it has a medieval ship sailing on water with what seems to be a knights crest and above that being a crucifix which makes me think it could be from the era of the crusades? also to note the writing seems to read "Richard" or "Rigar 2nd" or "Rigard", some ofit has worn off so it is hard to make out.

any help identifying these two coins would be very much appreciated as I am greatly interested in them.

Pictures in link below  

http://imgur.com/a/ipXmG

Cheers

Paul 

Welcome to the forum Paul!

Regarding the 'gold' coin, what I think that you have there is an Angel (Richard II - 1483-1485), based on the images. I'm not too well versed in hammered coins so someone with a bit more experience will definitely be able to confirm it. I'm looking at images here to try and ascertain what it is. (picture attached)

It's a little strange that it's silver coloured, so not sure about authenticity.

But I hope that gives you a starting point to get researching! ;) 

1.png

Just spotted the tell tale sign..WRL..about 8pm on the Angel side.

This means, unfortunately, that it's a replica! Made by Westair Reproductions Limited.

1.png

Both copies. People often 'find' these on sites when detecting, particularly those who sell on ebay.

You might ask your partner if she is telling porkies about where she found them. ;)

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

I was very sceptical about the Richard coin but I am curious as to how the Henry coin is a fake? Just curious so I can tell a fake coin in future when I see one :)

15 minutes ago, Rob said:

Both copies. People often 'find' these on sites when detecting, particularly those who sell on ebay.

You might ask your partner if she is telling porkies about where she found them. ;)

6 minutes ago, Paul D. said:

I was very sceptical about the Richard coin but I am curious as to how the Henry coin is a fake? Just curious so I can tell a fake coin in future when I see one :)

The same reason as I mentioned about the Angel, you can see WRL stamped into it ;) 

18 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

The same reason as I mentioned about the Angel, you can see WRL stamped into it ;) 

Ah right, i see it now :) these must have been from one of her holidays (a souvenir from a historical land mark or something), thanks for the info mate ^-^