British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

Henry VII Tentative issues

I have read up on the appropriate BNJ articles and all I can find on-line. Just dipping my toe in the water on these, before even thinking about purchasing, I just have a question about these 'tentative' issues ... were they circulation coins or 'patterns', it is an important distinction to me (for reasons I cannot explain as yet)

Have to be circulation pieces as they often appear well worn.

Thanks Rob, guess I am just hung up on the word 'tentative' at the moment! They are not at all scarce it seems ...

Edited by Paulus

They aren't that common. Certainly not in desirable condition.

Henry vii Tentative issue groats are all rare according to North.The  'Septim' variety has only two examples known and  of the 'Tressure of arches on obverse' type only four are believed to exist.The 'regular' issue,with the triple band to the crown is the most often seen.

2 hours ago, kal said:

Henry vii Tentative issue groats are all rare according to North.The  'Septim' variety has only two examples known and  of the 'Tressure of arches on obverse' type only four are believed to exist.The 'regular' issue,with the triple band to the crown is the most often seen.

Thanks for that Rob and Kal, I am only just starting to research Henry VII, hadn't realised what a fascinating king he was until recently!

During my first hour of on-line initial research I saw tentative issues mentioned, wondered what the term meant, saw some for auction, and formed a very possibly inaccurate early conclusion that they can't be that rare.

Here is one described as 'tentative' sold at St James earlier this month, is it correctly attributed?

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/st-jamess-auctions-knightsbridge-coins/catalogue-id-srstja10011/lot-c933c260-56ec-45eb-bb31-a58500bb7471

Edited by Paulus

Nope. Tentative has two bands to the crown, this has three.

Spink number is correct for the regular type, and the estimate is in the right ballpark too for this. Have to assume that somebody looked at the groats and took them all to be tentative issue pieces, despite S2258 having the word 'regular' in its description.

Paulus, The Frank Brady collection, Spink, Oct, 2011, is a good reference for this series.  Both issues are well illustrated.  Besides the number of bands, the King's portrait is noticeably different.  This  King's "regular" profile continues in use during the Henry VIII first coinage, 1509 -1526.