British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

terrysoldpennies

1966 missing waves

Hi, only me . This type is listed by David Groom in his book , but I have only ever seen the 1967 coin so after buying this from Canada last week I thought you might like to see the picture   Terry

DSCN1350.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for Sharing Terry, I've only seen this on the 1967 too. Interesting to note it is on a previous year, even though the reverse dies were different.

Nice find. With regards to this possibly being a die-fill, there aren't any intermediate examples are there?

9 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Nice find. With regards to this possibly being a die-fill, there aren't any intermediate examples are there?

Not any known ones, and a few of us have been keeping an eye out the last couple of months at least. It's possible, but innocent until proven guilty I say..

• Like 2

Mr T . I was wondering about how it was caused . when you look extremely  close with a magnifying glass, you can see the minute lines from the grinding of the flat surfaces running right through from the open flat area, into the bare area where the waves should [ I must get myself a close up camera] . I thought that if this was caused by grease or dirt , the complete individual wavy would disappear , and not leave just the points of what on the  normal coin are much larger waves, so I would think it must be the result of the top of that part of the die being ground down lower , and so loosing definition     Terry

• Like 1

I don't quite understand Terry - are there lines running from above the water line into the space where the waves should be?

Mr T.   Difficult to explain, so hence the diagram ,  Looking at normal bright uncirculated pennies of the 60s there is no sign of scratches at all , but on this one the minute scratches run down the right side of the coin , and some also run in a slightly different direction across the exergue. no scratches can be seen on the raised parts , like the lighthouse shield or waves, so it looks as though a engineer has used something like an abrasive paper just on the top left side of the die,    I shall try to get a close up some time      Terry

Ps I am try to add the drawing , bare with me

Amazing picture Terry :D 

Over polished die?

6 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

the picture  Terry

DSCN1359.JPG

I get you now. As Nordle said, die polish lines? Anyone with a 1967 missing waves see anything similar?

On 09/02/2016 at 3:42 PM, terrysoldpennies said:

Hi, only me . This type is listed by David Groom in his book , but I have only ever seen the 1967 coin so after buying this from Canada last week I thought you might like to see the picture   Terry

DSCN1350.JPG

Well spotted

• Like 1

What an unusual variety- I like it

Old thread i know but whilst going through my 1960's pennies looking for wavy exergues I came across this. Not as high grade as Terry's but never mind.

Also found a 1967 missing wave too.

2016-08-02 12.45.25.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jon said:

Old thread i know but whilst going through my 1960's pennies looking for wavy exergues I came across this. Not as high grade as Terry's but never mind.

Also found a 1967 missing wave too.

2016-08-02 12.45.25.jpg

That's lucky of you john , as you say I have a higher grade 66 than you , but have yet to find a 67 .   Terry 

The 67 I found is a little better grade than the 66 but still not as good as your 66

Still better than not having one I suppose :)

Interesting that my own specimen has been struck at a slightly 1967 F257 missing waves rev zoom.JPGdifferent state of die fill.

• Like 1

Having seen yours Richard on your site I wasn't sure if mine were given how much was missing on yours. When I saw Terry's looked very similar to mine I realised what I had.