British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Nutsaboutcoins

Newcastle Mint

I'm putting a display together for the Tyneside Numismatic Society's 62nd anniversary, but I'm struggling to find information about the Newcastle mint, and it's not my normal area of interest.

I don't need a lot of detailed info but just enough for a few paragraphs, does anyone know of an online resource that will give me some basic facts?

Thanks.

Ian..

Hi Ian ! This is what I found :

this mint was for the first time established during the reign of Stephen and it was also active during the first issue of Henry II. Class 3 of the Long cross coinage where also struck.  During the reign of Edward I where struck : pence , halfpence and Farthings of class 3e. The mint was reopened in the 1300 ca. And continued for the following 2 years ( pence class: 9b , 9c , 10x , 10ab1 , 10ab2 ) . This extended activity was perphaps connected with the Scottish campaigns for wich Newcastle had been used as the financial base. 

List of Newcastle's monneyers :

Sthephen : 

- Ailf

- Ioce

- Willem/Wileln

Henry II :

- Willem

Henry III :

- Adam ( IIIa-c )

- Henri ( IIIa-c )

- Ion ( IIIa-c )

- Roger ( IIIa-c )  

and here various Newcastle's name on coins :

NEVCAS ; NEWCAS ; NEWECAS ; NEVECA ; EVEC ; VILL NOVI CASTRI 

Matteo :) 

Newcastle started striking during the reign of Stephen. These coins are rare. Rather more were produced during the Tealby coinage, but nothing during short cross, and then it reopened during long cross through to Edward I. The easiest of these is the later Edward I coinage, with everything else at least scarce.

There's nothing in the BNJ specific to Newcastle, but Allen's book on the Tealby conage refers to Askew's article in the 1941 Numismatic Chronicle pp.77-87. Sorry, don't have a copy.

During Henry II, the mint was run by William FitzErembald who also ran the mint at Carlisle. He was lessee of the mines at Alston, but eventually got into severe financial difficulties from 1170 onwards and this is the reason for the mint closure by the end of the Tealby coinage. At the end of Henry II's reign in 1189, he owed over £2150 to the crown.

During long cross there were four moneyers at Newcastle - see The Brussels Hoard book pp.164-165

Edward I coins are mentioned in the Galata guides for pennies and small change.

Thank you so much Matteo & Rob.

As usual great information, and plenty for what I need for my display. I'm a little ashamed  knew nothing about my local mint. :(

Ian..

• Like 1