British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mrbadexample

1860 farthing - obverse 2 or 3?

Happy with that Colin - I can't see it and it was only the thickness of the bar that made me think it was a possibility, compared to my 1872 and some of the pictures on your site.

Ok, more confident with this one! Large 9, A/A in VICTORIA which would correspond to the die pairings 2+C recorded on your site.

1879(2).jpg

1879.jpg

Edited by mrbadexample

Looks like you have transmogrified into mrGOODexample! :D

It's a slow and painful process. I'll mess it up again in a bit. :P 

8 hours ago, Colin G. said:

Now this is where they grey gets really grey, I will not even consider a recut letter/digit, unless it is obvious to the naked eye or again an indisputable/obvious recut.

Colin,

Here's one you can see good with the naked eye...1851 D over sideways D Farthing. I sold this one a few months ago. If anyone has one they want to sell, let me know, I would like to buy another one.

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3640.JPG

Good luck with the hunt Bob...they are not an easy type to find!!!:)

Ok Colin, hope you're still tuned in! I'm having a spot of trouble with the 1911 - hollow neck or flat neck? I think this is flat, but depending upon what angle the photo's taken from, I could be persuaded of either.

1911a.jpg

1911b.jpg

That is not the hollow neck type, see the attached photo which should help

CG1911-G5-1A-Obv.jpg

Thanks again Colin. Another variation I need to add to my list of wants. :D

Colin, you'll be glad to know I've gone through up to 1956, and the only thing I've found that might be noteworthy is some extra metal on the base of the neck on my 1941. Have a look and see what you make of it - seen anything like it before? 

So you're off the hook now, you'll be glad to know. Who's the resident halfpenny expert I need to pester now then? :lol:

1941.jpg

1941b.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Who's the resident halfpenny expert I need to pester now then? 

Rob!

Here's to a long and happy new numismatic friendship! :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob said:

What have I done to deserve this? :ph34r:

You've been volunteered! One volunteer is worth 10 pressed men. :D

You'll be pleased to know I've got far fewer halfpennies than farthings.

Firstly Rob, can you direct me to your website where you've listed and photographed virtually every variety of halfpenny?

I've never compiled a list and image of every halfpenny as I used to use Nicholson's collection images if I needed an in the flesh example so to speak. The halfpennies I have listed are here https://www.rpcoins.co.uk/collections/half

I have other obverses and reverses as part of my collection records.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I've never compiled a list and image of every halfpenny as I used to use Nicholson's collection images if I needed an in the flesh example so to speak. The halfpennies I have listed are here https://www.rpcoins.co.uk/collections/half

I have other obverses and reverses as part of my collection records.

I was just kidding mate; I think I've been spoiled by Colin's extensive work on farthings. :) 

Edited by mrbadexample

Colin, sorry I'm still here! :D I'd value your opinion on this 1865 if you'd be so kind. I think the 6 is over another 6? Seems to be something there to me. What do you think?

1865.jpg

Sorry to hijack the the thread, but Colin if you are here, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the 1865 I posted here

17 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Colin, sorry I'm still here! :D I'd value your opinion on this 1865 if you'd be so kind. I think the 6 is over another 6? Seems to be something there to me. What do you think?

Yes the 6 has been recut in that example, but this occurs on a frequent basis with digits with tails, where a slight rotation becomes easily noticeable, therefore it is not something I would include on the website at present.

Thanks for the second opinion Colin. I'd get it on ebay as a rare, scarce, unlisted variety :rolleyes: except it's my only fat 8. :)

Got the hollow neck. Quite please with this punt on ebay, photos weren't great but at £2.16 delivered not much to lose. :)

1911 Hollow neck.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work Jon, so what's the indicator on this one, besides the hollow neck, or is it not as easy as the penny's I in BRITT to tooth?