British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mick_sovereign

1918 India Gold Sovereign, real or fake? Please help

Hi all!

I am new to the forum and new to coin collecting, I am collecting gold sovereigns and I need a bit of help for a sovereign I have just bought. 

Its a 1918 George V India mint full gold sovereign. Like I said I am new to collecting and would like to get a second opinion to wether it is genuine or not? 

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Thanks in advance!

Michael. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Micheal and welcome !!

First of all when you don't know if the coin is good you have to check the weight and diameter ;) 

Matteo 

Definitely great advice from Matteo, it should weigh 7.98 grams and have a diameter of 22m. Depends how good your scales are of course!

??Real but polished, esp. the obverse.

Hi all,

Thanks for your welcome and your replys! 

I don't have the coin yet as I have just won the auction today from eBay. The seller states that is weights 7.9g, I have looked at the photos of original ones and it looks ok, but like I said I would just like to get a second opinion from a trained eye. 

Any more ore help will be much appreciated! 

Michael

Hi vickysilver,

Thanks for your reply! With it being polished would that effect the value of the coin ?

thanks in advance

micky

Edited by Mick_sovereign

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Definitely great advice from Matteo, it should weigh 7.98 grams and have a diameter of 22m. Depends how good your scales are of course!

*cough* That's a VERY thin coin. :blink:

• Like 1

I should think that would be of value at bullion....Not that scarce. Still if good gold, you can't argue with that!

9 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

*cough* That's a VERY thin coin. :blink:

Whoops :D That should of course be 22mm.

Looks genuine but sovereigns are the coin of choice for counterfeiters. Take it to a pawn shop, if they'll take it then you know the coin is at least worth its weight in gold :ph34r:

Edited by jacinbox

17 hours ago, Mick_sovereign said:

Hi all!

I am new to the forum and new to coin collecting, I am collecting gold sovereigns and I need a bit of help for a sovereign I have just bought. 

Its a 1918 George V India mint full gold sovereign. Like I said I am new to collecting and would like to get a second opinion to wether it is genuine or not? 

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Thanks in advance!

Michael. 

This is a risky way of collecting, which will come back to bite you at some point. The price difference between a gold sovereign and a plated copy is approaching a couple hundred quid. The best advice would be to buy books and read up before potentially wasting a lot of money. By all means ask questions, but before the event and not after.

• Like 2

Hi and thanks for your reply,

I have got a few books which I have read but I am still new to collecting so my eye won't be as good as someone who has been collecting for years. I have had a good look at it and it does look genuine to me, but I could of missed something and like I said, wanted a second opinion. 

Thanks

michael. 

20 hours ago, Mick_sovereign said:

Hi and thanks for your reply,

I have got a few books which I have read but I am still new to collecting so my eye won't be as good as someone who has been collecting for years. I have had a good look at it and it does look genuine to me, but I could of missed something and like I said, wanted a second opinion. 

Thanks

michael. 

Golden rule: If in doubt, leave it out. You can't go wrong then.

• Like 2