British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Peter Nichols cabinets

35 minutes ago, Andrew W said:

Custom tray.

IMG_1637.JPG

Looks absolutely superb, Andrew. 

(meaning the cabinet as a whole, not just the custom tray)

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Looks absolutely superb, Andrew. 

(meaning the cabinet as a whole, not just the custom tray)

Thanks, 1949threepence. I'm chuffed to bits with it much prefer it to my old Lighthouse trays. Incidentally, if anyone is interested in any Lighthouse trays, message me.

2 hours ago, Andrew W said:

Thanks, 1949threepence. I'm chuffed to bits with it much prefer it to my old Lighthouse trays. Incidentally, if anyone is interested in any Lighthouse trays, message me.

Ever thought of being a  salesman? :lol: 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Ever thought of being a  salesman? :lol: 

Perhaps it wasn't the best time to mention I have some trays for sale :-)

I'm fast running out of space for pennies in my current Nichols cabinet, and am thinking of, buying another cabinet, and splitting my collection into two. It's either that or buy a much larger cabinet to house my entire collection, and with space to expand in the future. Thus rendering my existing cabinet redundant.  

Two things I'd be grateful for observations on:-

1/ Next year I'm going to Madeira for two weeks and need to ensure my collection is secure, as, apart from a cat sitter for part of the day, the house will be unoccupied for that period. What steps do others take to safeguard their collections while they are away, eg: safes, bank vaults etc?

2/ Has anybody bought a Rob Davis cabinet? They look really good and seem marginally less expensive than the Nicholls ones. Here's an example of one:-

Rob Davis cabinet.jpg

On 12/7/2018 at 9:20 AM, 1949threepence said:

I'm fast running out of space for pennies in my current Nichols cabinet, and am thinking of, buying another cabinet, and splitting my collection into two. It's either that or buy a much larger cabinet to house my entire collection, and with space to expand in the future. Thus rendering my existing cabinet redundant.  

1/ Next year I'm going to Madeira for two weeks and need to ensure my collection is secure, as, apart from a cat sitter for part of the day, the house will be unoccupied for that period. What steps do others take to safeguard their collections while they are away, eg: safes, bank vaults etc?

If there is a secure place at work it might be useful to leave your collection there. Our university has a museum that might come in handy for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taikonaut said:

If there is a secure place at work it might be useful to leave your collection there. Our university has a museum that might come in handy for me.

Neat idea, and one I will consider.

If I am going to be away for a few days I arrange to leave the key parts of the collection with a close friend or relative. The bulk of the valuable stuff will fit in one small crate in the albums - heavy but manageable.

11 hours ago, Paddy said:

If I am going to be away for a few days I arrange to leave the key parts of the collection with a close friend or relative. The bulk of the valuable stuff will fit in one small crate in the albums - heavy but manageable.

That again is a good option worthy of strong consideration. 

Edited by 1949threepence

I recommend a good heavy strong safe.

Personally I would not consider leaving my collection either at work or with a friend/neighbour due to potential insurance issues in the case of a fire or theft at their premises.

Edited by Coys55
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Coys55 said:

I have a very heavy (it would take about three people to lift it) safe which is bolted to a concrete floor. I bought it to hold other valuables and important documents, but also sized it to hold the trays of my Peter Nichols Pheon cabinet when I'm away.

Personally I would not consider leaving my collection either at work or with a friend/neighbour due to potential insurance issues in the case of a fire or theft at their premises.

Indeed. The friend/neighbour option I'd already discounted, as it's not fair on them. 

The work one is still a possibility.

However, getting a safe is actually a very sound idea. Either that or finding such a clever place to hide them, no intruders would ever guess where they were. Easier said than done.

I did contact the bank about whether I could deposit the coins there, and they said they couldn't - which surprised me. Especially as I was quite prepared to pay.       

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Indeed. The friend/neighbour option I'd already discounted, as it's not fair on them. 

The work one is still a possibility.

However, getting a safe is actually a very sound idea. Either that or finding such a clever place to hide them, no intruders would ever guess where they were. Easier said than done.

I did contact the bank about whether I could deposit the coins there, and they said they couldn't - which surprised me. Especially as I was quite prepared to pay.       

Reconditioned safes are not too expensive.

Regarding hiding them, if it's a clever hiding place I'm pretty sure a burglar would think of it too.

14 minutes ago, Coys55 said:

Reconditioned safes are not too expensive.

Regarding hiding them, if it's a clever hiding place I'm pretty sure a burglar would think of it too.

That's what I thought too.

I might start making some enquiries about a safe. I think it may well be the most effective way forward. I can't see any burglars being so desperate that they'd attach explosive to it, and blow the door off. Far more likely they'd give up and clear off.      

Edited by 1949threepence

A lot (all?) of the High St banks have stopped offering a safe deposit facility, which given most branches are still open seems a rather strange business decision. A clearly defined area of a building occupied by little boxes that people were quite happy to pay rent for in my mind is a no brainer. It has recurring profits year on year written in big letters. All the overheads are known, so matching these costs to the available space and renting it out allowing for a predefined profit margin isn't rocket science. It's essentially a utility.

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

A lot (all?) of the High St banks have stopped offering a safe deposit facility, which given most branches are still open seems a rather strange business decision. A clearly defined area of a building occupied by little boxes that people were quite happy to pay rent for in my mind is a no brainer. It has recurring profits year on year written in big letters. All the overheads are known, so matching these costs to the available space and renting it out allowing for a predefined profit margin isn't rocket science. It's essentially a utility.

Absolutely. I did go into the branch in person to ask, as other forms of communication are a dead loss. When I asked what the reason was for not being able to deposit my coins there, all the guy on the counter was able to tell me is that it was a "policy decision", which doesn't really tell me a lot as to the true reasons. 

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I might well start making some enquiries about a safe. I think it may well be the most effective way forward. I can't see any burglars being so desperate that they'd attach explosive to it, and blow the door off. Far more likely they'd give up and clear off.      

Make sure it's securly bolted to the floor or concreted in. As a teenager I can remember the place where my mum worked being burgled and the safe, about two foot high and almost as deep, was found out in the carpark some 150 meters away. While they didn't get in it the last thing you want is your collection rattling around inside if they do try to move it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, will1976 said:

Make sure it's securly bolted to the floor or concreted in. As a teenager I can remember the place where my mum worked being burgled and the safe, about two foot high and almost as deep, was found out in the carpark some 150 meters away. While they didn't get in it the last thing you want is your collection rattling around inside if they do try to move it

Good thinking. I note @Coys55 says his safe is also bolted to the floor. 

One other thing to watch out for with the safe option: do your research on any company you plan to buy from or do the installation. I fear that many security companies also leak information to the criminal fraternity.

20 years ago or so, when I was married, we decided to get security lighting etc installed on an outside stable block in which we stored horse tack. Within a week of it being installed it was raided and all the tack stolen when we had never had any burglary before. (They also nearly burnt the stable down with the horses still inside by throwing a blanket over the hot lighting.) Since then I have been somewhat distrusting of security companies as I can see no other way that the burglars suddenly decided to target us.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Absolutely. I did go into the branch in person to ask, as other forms of communication are a dead loss. When I asked what the reason was for not being able to deposit my coins there, all the guy on the counter was able to tell me is that it was a "policy decision", which doesn't really tell me a lot as to the true reasons. 

I wonder how many banks amended their policies after Hatton Garden.

People keeping undisclosed amounts in a "secure" environment which can't be verified probably leads to massive implications when it comes to insurance payout for loss.

23 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

People keeping undisclosed amounts in a "secure" environment which can't be verified probably leads to massive implications when it comes to insurance payout for loss.

Even when kept in a bank, it is up to the depositor to insure their own goods unless specifically insured under the T&Cs of the bank. I suspect a good number of deposited items are not insured for whatever reason.

On 1/10/2019 at 11:58 AM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I see your point, but a Hatton Garden event is an extremely unlikely occurrence in a small town provincial bank. 

To my mind the coins, or indeed any valuables, would be at far greater risk in an unoccupied house. 

2/ Has anybody bought a Rob Davis cabinet? They look really good and seem marginally less expensive than the Nicholls ones. Here's an example of one:-

So anyway I did decide to order a new cabinet from Rob Davis. I ordered a single door cherry wood version with small trays. Rob actually delivered it in person today. I have to say I'm really pleased with it, and it immediately solves an increasing space problem. Somewhat irritatingly, I've misplaced a coin I bought recently - the 1913 F174. Christ knows where that's got to.

Anyway, here are pictures:-

cabinet 1.jpg

cabinet 2.jpg

cabinet 3.jpg

• Like 5

I do like the thickness of the wooden frame. Quality.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sword said:

I do like the thickness of the wooden frame. Quality.

Pure quality. I would 100% recommend him - and he's not as expensive as the people who took over from Peter Nichols.

He's not quick. I ordered my cabinet on 12th January, so it took him over 2 months. But well worth the wait. 

3 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Pure quality. I would 100% recommend him - and he's not as expensive as the people who took over from Peter Nichols.

He's not quick. I ordered my cabinet on 12th January, so it took him over 2 months. But well worth the wait. 

2 months is not a long time to wait for a decent piece of handmade furniture.

LCGS can take more than 3 months to grade a coin... 🙂