British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Peter Nichols cabinets

The instruction came in an envelope along with the Chrozier. I no longer have it but it mention about how the finish was achieved through a number of process and then sealed with varnish. In giving the advice of treating it with bees wax with wire wool overtime will bring out the lustre, I got the impression Peter is saying the finish is not there yet and you need to put in some elbow grease to get that high end furniture look. And he was right. The crude varnish surface was completely taken care of. It came out with a surface smooth to the touch and look great.

I originally use Briwax but it leaves residue and you need to remove all of it otherwise it hardens and becomes difficult. Recently I discovered Antiquax Brown which are silicone free and has dark wood staining quality which works a treat. Mahogany that are stained, such as these cabinets, becomes lighter when exposed to frequent daylights so this wax help restore its original shade and irmprove it.

Lovely - thanks for the info @Taikonaut I may well try some of that. 

As I will soon be branching out into the earlier Victorian and possibly George IV pennies. I'm soon going to need another cabinet anyway, as the recesses in my current one, aren't quite big enough to take them. 

Will be considering the best one to get. 

Even though I keep my cabinet away from direct sunlights in the last 25 years when I compare the shade from inside and outside the door I can see how much the wood has lightened over time.

A collection of old pennies can be pretty heavy. Are you having a pair of brass handles fitted? I wonder how much they charge for that?

Edited by Taikonaut

55 minutes ago, Taikonaut said:

Even though I keep my cabinet away from direct sunlights in the last 25 years when I compare the shade from inside and outside the door I can see how much the wood has lightened over time.

A collection of old pennies can be pretty heavy. Are you having a pair of brass handles fitted? I wonder how much they charge for that?

Don't know yet. Will be considering options.

I have 2 Peter Nichols cabinets and the second was bought second hand at a London Coins auction - some of the drawers didn't have the size of recess that I wanted but I sent one off to Peter Nichols and they made me half a dozen of the same size with the recesses that I wanted that fitted exactly. It's not a bad way of getting a quality cabinet designed to your particular reqts.

4 hours ago, secret santa said:

I have 2 Peter Nichols cabinets and the second was bought second hand at a London Coins auction - some of the drawers didn't have the size of recess that I wanted but I sent one off to Peter Nichols and they made me half a dozen of the same size with the recesses that I wanted that fitted exactly. It's not a bad way of getting a quality cabinet designed to your particular reqts.

Ah, not a bad idea, Richard. I have several redundant drawers, so I might give them a ring. 

Save me buying a new one. Thanks :) 

Don't blame you for wanting to save money from buying a new one.

Prices have risen substantially over the past 12 months

If you have a lot of spare trays then make your own cabinet. That's what my son did for me. Killed two birds with one stone. It did something with the pile of trays that were always being moved and dumped somewhere else, and from his perspective solved the perennial problem of what to give me for Christmas. :)

It has been posted before, but here it is again. For anyone thinking of carving the front panel of a hardwood cabinet, I have been assured that it seemed like a good idea at the time. ;)

cabinet.jpg

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

I have a double garage but full of a MG,peddle bikes and fishing stuff.I wish I had more space.My grandfather was a cabinet maker.He gave me my first 1694 farthing plus my 1st George 11 halfpenny.....drugs dealers eat your heart out.

I've been fortunate enough to be blessed with a Peter Nichols 'Mascle' classic cabinet for my birthday.

Although as I'm primarily a shilling collector I've realised I would require 10 trays with 28mm recesses to fit my shilling collection within 10 trays. As for the last 4 trays I'm hoping to get a custom arrangement which would roughly equate to a type/year set for each monarch of the modern milled pre-decimal eras. Here are my mock ups, be gentle chaps.

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

One consideration when choosing tray sizes is the question of tickets. It is always useful to retain old tickets from a historical perspective as it is often the only connection you can make for a provenance. These are invariably bigger than the hole size required for small coins,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

One consideration when choosing tray sizes is the question of tickets. It is always useful to retain old tickets from a historical perspective as it is often the only connection you can make for a provenance. These are invariably bigger than the hole size required for small coins,

Thanks Rob  

I guessed I'd have to keep them separate as the odd coin would have to be repatriated from a slab here and there, or kept elsewhere. Annoyingly this is a problem which I'm going to have to deal with but I love the cabinet set up, it feels very natural to me. I do catalogue my collection in MyCollection software which in my humble opinion is very useful. 

PS. Are you Rob Pearce with the lovely 1834 EF shilling that is obviously a higher grade than the 1834 aBU example on CC, although both priced similarly.  Either way I appreciate your input massively and may be a future customer of your lovely shillings.

Kind regards

Andrew W

1 hour ago, Andrew W said:

Thanks Rob  

I guessed I'd have to keep them separate as the odd coin would have to be repatriated from a slab here and there, or kept elsewhere. Annoyingly this is a problem which I'm going to have to deal with but I love the cabinet set up, it feels very natural to me. I do catalogue my collection in MyCollection software which in my humble opinion is very useful. 

PS. Are you Rob Pearce with the lovely 1834 EF shilling that is obviously a higher grade than the 1834 aBU example on CC, although both priced similarly.  Either way I appreciate your input massively and may be a future customer of your lovely shillings.

Kind regards

Andrew W

Yes

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrew W said:

I've been fortunate enough to be blessed with a Peter Nichols 'Mascle' classic cabinet for my birthday.

Although as I'm primarily a shilling collector I've realised I would require 10 trays with 28mm recesses to fit my shilling collection within 10 trays. As for the last 4 trays I'm hoping to get a custom arrangement which would roughly equate to a type/year set for each monarch of the modern milled pre-decimal eras. Here are my mock ups, be gentle chaps.

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

Great idea Andrew.We probably all collect differently but obtaining trays like that won't be cheap.The setting out would be a mare and production labour intensive.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 8:21 AM, Rob said:

I've finally gone ahead and ordered the cabinet with a few customisations. First of all I had three of the remaining four trays made up like the above example with a couple of modifications to allow more room around a couple of coins. As for the last draw I went for one with 14 holes that are 35mm wide to allow one hole for each of the above 13 trays to house tickets that may not fit in the other trays and any odd coins that don't belong elsewhere. So thanks for making that point Rob.

On 5/16/2017 at 5:14 PM, Peter said:

Great idea Andrew.We probably all collect differently but obtaining trays like that won't be cheap.The setting out would be a mare and production labour intensive.

At £6 per drawer extra It really was rather reasonable the cost of modifying the drawers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew W said:

I've finally gone ahead and ordered the cabinet with a few customisations. First of all I had three of the remaining four trays made up like the above example with a couple of modifications to allow more room around a couple of coins. As for the last draw I went for one with 14 holes that are 35mm wide to allow one hole for each of the above 13 trays to house tickets that may not fit in the other trays and any odd coins that don't belong elsewhere. So thanks for making that point Rob.

At £6 per drawer extra It really was rather reasonable the cost of modifying the drawers. 

Hat off to the cabinet makers.:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Hat off to the cabinet makers.:)

Yes, fabulous!! :):)

• Like 1

On 03/12/2016 at 0:00 AM, 1949threepence said:

I've no idea if he's still alive, but I'd say it's more probable than not that he is still alive. I can say with certainty that he retired in October 2010, and passed the concern on. There is reference to his work in the 2017 Coin Yearbook, which I downloaded. I was going to do a screenshot for you, but it appears you can copy and paste the text, which surprised me. So I hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws by reproducing this small extract for your information. It's from an article on coin storage.

I had an email reply from Peter yesterday. He just to say that he has already retired and no longer involve in the cabinet making business even though they still uses his name.  Peter still runs a coin dealership from the same premises at St Leonard were he use to make his cabinets.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

I had an email reply from Peter yesterday. He just to say that he has already retired and no longer involve in the cabinet making business even though they still uses his name.  Peter still runs a coin dealership from the same premises at St Leonard were he use to make his cabinets.

Thanks for that. I remember he sold a very nice 1871 penny a couple or three years back, on e bay, for a fair price. I'd have bought it myself if I hadn't already got one. 

He doesn't seem to have a separate website for the concern, but "Peter Nichols Stamp and Coin shop", still at the Norman Road St Leonards on Sea premises, is shown as having the telephone Number (01424) 436682. That's for the benefit of the guest user Dr Dwarf on page 1, if he ever looks in again.   

Glad to hear he's OK. 

27 minutes ago, Taikonaut said:

Do you know what his ebay account name is?

I don't Simon, unfortunately. Of course, you could ring and ask him :)

Interesting that whenever dnw offer up a Peter Nichols cabinet for auction, they now refer to it as "by St Leonards" as opposed to "by Peter Nichols". Whether this is to distinguish it from those now produced by the new makers, I don't know.

link to example in the June 2018 auction

It took about 6 months to arrive but here it is 'Mascle' with custom panelled doors and 3 custom trays.

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

• Like 3

Custom tray.

IMG_1637.JPG

• Like 2