British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Peter Nichols cabinets

11 hours ago, azda said:

Very nice that Gary, did it come in the silver case?

No just the two slotted sides, the case is for storing LP's I'm sure the olds on here remember them, which I got from ebay.

I've just had delivery of a cabinet from Smokerings from Ebay.I can tell you top notch quality...well chuffed.It is the dogs b******.

Busy over Xmas in moving coins about.:)

43 minutes ago, Peter said:

I've just had delivery of a cabinet from Smokerings from Ebay.I can tell you top notch quality...well chuffed.It is the dogs b******.

Busy over Xmas in moving coins about.:)

Do you have a pic Peter?

28 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Do you have a pic Peter?

28 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Do you have a pic Peter?

See my previous post Nords. I can vouch for Kevin (smokerings) He is a quality chap.My Grandfather was a cabinet maker.He would of tickled his bollocks on this.Can't get better.

5 hours ago, Peter said:

See my previous post Nords. I can vouch for Kevin (smokerings) He is a quality chap.My Grandfather was a cabinet maker.He would of tickled his bollocks on this.Can't get better.

I've heard this name before, but I can't find him. All I get for smokerings on e bay is this and when I put "coin cabinets" in the search, I just get this and I can't see a mention of smokerings. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Do you have a link, as I'd be really interested in viewing his work? Cheers :)   

5 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I've heard this name before, but I can't find him. All I get for smokerings on e bay is this and when I put "coin cabinets" in the search, I just get this and I can't see a mention of smokerings. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Do you have a link, as I'd be really interested in viewing his work? Cheers :)   

See my link on page 1 of this thread.The quality is outstanding.A craftsman without doubt.

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

See my link on page 1 of this thread.The quality is outstanding.A craftsman without doubt.

Thanks. Extremely nice & exquisite craftsmanship. 

My cabinet is superb ....if Peter Nichols cabinets are better I doff my hat.Every thing about my cabinet ticks every box.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

My cabinet is superb ....if Peter Nichols cabinets are better I doff my hat.Every thing about my cabinet ticks every box.

Well if nothing else, this thread has at least raised awareness of a couple of different high quality cabinet makers. Smokerings and the Italian supplier, Alberto Zecchi.

Talking of cabinets, I have a spare here, a Nichols Pheon, lockable with space for 504 coins on 14 trays if anyone is interested. All the trays have been pierced to facilitate coin removal.

6 off 34 dia x 30

2 off 32 dia x 36

6 off 28 dia x 42

Some minor surface hairs that would easily touch up, otherwise in good condition. I would guess at about 25 years old based on former owner. £120.00 delivered.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Talking of cabinets, I have a spare here, a Nichols Pheon, lockable with space for 504 coins on 14 trays if anyone is interested. All the trays have been pierced to facilitate coin removal.

6 off 34 dia x 30

2 off 32 dia x 36

6 off 28 dia x 42

Some minor surface hairs that would easily touch up, otherwise in good condition. I would guess at about 25 years old based on former owner. £120.00 delivered.

i will take that Rob.I have so many coins that need a place to rest.

Hi All,

I'm a new member here. I've been casually collecting on and off for 40yrs. I bought a Nichols Crozier cabinet back in 1992 and still have it. His cabinet is most charming and made with conservation in mind for the coins. There are many antique cabinets that are perhaps more elaborately crafted but these are almost always has harmful side effect on the coins because of materials used.

I only just found out about this thread and Peter's retirement which prompt me to join.

The new craftsman at Nichols Cabinets from what I saw in their facebook is still making great quality cabinets.  It hard to judge if the present cabinets is better than when Peter is making them. I would say visually the current ones has finer attention to the trays which conseals the tray holder on the side. This might also partly attribute to the price increase? However I get a buzz with the older cabinets that Peter made himself purely because he is the original maker and being original there is an aesthetic to it. That said I also think the current maker benefitted from the information age and got their work out there a lot more and innovate from feedbacks that are readily available for all to see.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Taikonaut

The new makers are good.  I asked for a custom made drawer for my PN cabinet and they did a very decent job, even though it turned out to be a more complicated a task than I first imagined!  Plus they use rather more environmentally friendly stains and varnish than in Peter's day.  :D 

About 12 years ago I posted images of my Peter Nichols cabinet on an American coin forum which became a sticky. The reaction from collectors across the pond was mostly well recieved to my surprise. I had people asking me were they can buy a Nichols cabinet believing it will take off. Collectors over there slab there more valueble coins but this did'nt stop them enquiring, obviously cabinets can be made to house slabbed coins too. I notice on Nichols Cabinet facebook they had orders from America. It does make me wonder how much businesses I had brought them from the States directly or indirectly because of my post:D

Owning an English made coin cabinet endorsed by the British Museum I guess is pretty irresistible.

Yep :) I now have a proper Nichols (thanks Rob) ,a Smokerings cabinet :) and one from Declans mate :) (Forestgold).All 3 cabinets are portable and superb.Easily stashed and a pleasure for 351 days of the year. My Daawg is the chief of security  :).Coin cabinets have been around before US history and certainly not suited to bloody US die crack/doubled letters/artificial toned coins which our buddies across the pond lap up.Show me pre 19C in coins in MS69/70 and my view may change.

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

....Coin cabinets have been around before US history and certainly not suited to bloody US die crack/doubled letters/artificial toned coins which our buddies across the pond lap up...

I;d take offense at that remark -- if it weren't true ;)

• Like 1

Unlike the current maker, the trays on Peter's cabinet has exposed tray holders with visible gaps between. I always wonder if this was a design oversight as it does not look flush and pleasing compare to other cabinets. Since Peter has been making them for decades I also wonder if that is done deliberately for ventilation purpose? The last thing anyone want is your coins suffer discolouration because gas being trapped.

14 hours ago, Peter said:

Yep :) I now have a proper Nichols (thanks Rob) ,a Smokerings cabinet :) and one from Declans mate :) (Forestgold).All 3 cabinets are portable and superb.Easily stashed and a pleasure for 351 days of the year. My Daawg is the chief of security  :).Coin cabinets have been around before US history and certainly not suited to bloody US die crack/doubled letters/artificial toned coins which our buddies across the pond lap up.Show me pre 19C in coins in MS69/70 and my view may change.

What about the remaining 14 days? :ph34r:

Peter, LOL on that commentary. However, before lobbing a stone too far in the glass house, please check in with those infernal "hypervarietal" penny boys in goode olde UK!

I like these cabinets as well, but don't know where I'd put one....

When I bought my Nichols cabinet 25yrs ago it had a care instruction note from Peter about how to take care of it by regular use of bees wax on the cabinet (not the trays) ideally with the finest wire wool. It took another 10yrs until I actually followed through that advise and turned the rough original varnish into a smooth surface. I used wire wool twice and no more as I feel it is not necessary to wear down the surface. Only waxed it once every 5 years since.

How do you take care of your cabinet?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

When I bought my Nichols cabinet 25yrs ago it had a care instruction note from Peter about how to take care of it by regular use of bees wax on the cabinet (not the trays) ideally with the finest wire wool. It took another 10yrs until I actually followed through that advise and turned the rough original varnish into a smooth surface. I used wire wool twice and no more as I feel it is not necessary to wear down the surface. Only waxed it once every 5 years since.

Well, to be honest, I just spray some Pledge wood polish on it every now and then, and buff with a duster.

I never received any care instructions with mine. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

No wire wool but the bees wax is the only treatment the cabinets get.

• Like 1