British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mrbadexample

Sorting my stuff, and an introduction

1 hour ago, TomGoodheart said:

...or are bothered by the aesthetics of little coins in larger recesses...

This! This bothers me - it's not right and gets on my OCD nerves! ?

And Gary, that is one lovely bit of kit. I covet it. Nice to hear that Peter will make / modify to your specifications.

33 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

It's the eternal dilemma - more coins or something to put them in. ?

By the way, I have been admiring your rapid work so far - some very nice half crowns you've got there. ?

Thanks :) it is slowly getting there. I need to upgrade a few and I want some other examples in there but I am happy with my collection so far.

I needed another cabinet and had a couple dozen trays lying around, so my eldest made one from from scratch to use the trays. Brownie points were earned by him from me, and by me from the wife for clearing the pile of trays off the floor. :)

http://001_zpsvi0cw3a6.jpg

And the internal view. He wanted to put a map of England on the top with the Saxon mints, but this was impractical.

http://002_zpsfhy6monh.jpg

• Like 3

Gosh!  Very talented Rob.  Is it a profession for him or just a hobby?  Either way it looks very nice.

(Had you thought of adding a cabinet making service to the dealing?)  :P

1 minute ago, TomGoodheart said:

Gosh!  Very talented Rob.  Is it a profession for him or just a hobby?  Either way it looks very nice.

(Had you thought of adding a cabinet making service to the dealing?)  :P

No, first one he has made. It took him a while, but I think he made a good job of it.

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

This! This bothers me - it's not right and gets on my OCD nerves! ?

This you mean?  (From Clive's post a while back)

Trays.jpg

Sorry!  :P

Edited by TomGoodheart
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Well, most of my collection is in 13 Lindner trays, which I can always buy more of. I do like it for the farthings because it's a nice snug fit. It's the early dates, about 1860-1874 that are in the plastic wallets, plus the overspill of other denominations. Certainly, a few more trays would be a cheaper option.

Are you saying you use the albums with the pocketed sleeves, into which you insert a paper envelope? If so, how do you see them? I like to have a nose at mine...

Lower grade examples are in flips, and then higher grade are in envelopes and then top grade earn a home made slab. I have to admit I look at them in the flesh less than I used to, I tend to use images now...quite sad really :(

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

No, first one he has made. It took him a while, but I think he made a good job of it.

Yes.  And the detailing on the doors makes it unique.  Well done him!

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

Yes its spot on.

Can we have a picture of what is inside it Rob......;)

6 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes its spot on.

Can we have a picture of what is inside it Rob......;)

Nothing at the moment. I've got a box of goodies waiting to be arranged.

52 minutes ago, Rob said:

And the internal view. He wanted to put a map of England on the top with the Saxon mints, but this was impractical.

That's a great job. Even looks to have aligned the screw heads too which shows it's a proper job. Although I prefer them horizontal myself. :P

22 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

This you mean?  (From Clive's post a while back)

Sorry!  :P

Yup. That. Where's the dislike button? :(

37 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Yup. That. Where's the dislike button? :(

Ah, well I shan't post a pic of my hammered shillings then. 

They are all sorts of odd shapes and sizes making it impossible to choose a tray that is ideal for all of them.

And just when I thought I'd got the best compromise, a friend gave me one on such a large flan I had to enlarge the recess to get it in at all!

However, with milled coinage, you could choose capsules that just fit the tray recesses and then buy spacing rings to hold the smaller coins centrally to the capsule ...

:D

Edited by TomGoodheart

Had the same problem when I bought a broadstruck error, ended up buying a set of 10 larger lighthouse capsules just to accommodate the one coin! :D 

13 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

And just when I thought I'd got the best compromise, a friend gave me one on such a large flan I had to enlarge the recess to get it in at all!

And you weren't tempted to get the tin snips out and make it fit :ph34r:

1 hour ago, TomGoodheart said:

Ah, well I shan't post a pic of my hammered shillings then. 

However, with milled coinage, you could choose capsules that just fit the tray recesses and then buy spacing rings to hold the smaller coins centrally to the capsule ...

:D

Just put them on the table to take the photo, that'll be fine. 

But spacing rings...now you're talking! :D

I won9'mt be able to typ7e muc8hn t8hnis weekend because I9'mve 7gbot all excited about t8hne 6 Nations and sp7illed c8hnamp7a7gbne on my keyboard. :(

I'd heard about the Midland coin fair at the Birmingham Motorcycle Museum, and was quite looking forward to going. But it's on Valentine's Day so I won't be able to make it. :( I'm taking the missus to Rome for a romantic weekend which is nothing to do with Italy v England in the 6 Nations so I'll have to make my first visit in March. I understand that's a bigger fair anyway?

Correct, bigger every 3 months and March is the first big one of the year. You'll enjoy it, it's a great fair with many friendly people and you'll meet a few of the members on here at that fair too. Have fun in Rome also! :) 

I hope to be there but due to it being on the 14th I may struggle this month!

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Have fun in Rome also! :) 

I do hope to. I've not been before, but they've got a bit of history by all accounts. :)

Enjoy yourself and have a good time.

If i had to decide on the midland coin fair or Rome.........Well:)

I am hoping to be at the March fair as well