British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mrbadexample

Sorting my stuff, and an introduction

Greetings all.

I'm new to this forum but not to coins - I've been collecting them since I dug up a 1954 half crown with a metal detector as a teenager, 30+ (gulp) years ago. Actually, that's a lie, I used a trowel. Not long after I got the bug, my late Great Uncle Albert, gawd rest his soul, took me down the local coin shop and shelled out a few bob for a few bob to get me started. 

I've been collecting, off and on, ever since. It's one interest that's waxed and waned over the years, but never gone away. After trying to collect everything going (as you do), I eventually settled on British milled silver and bronze coins from 1860-1970. Let's not pretend I can afford the shiny yellow ones. What I'm looking for is one of each date minted. I will collect some varieties e.g. high tide / low tide, but I'm not too worried about every tiny little variation going. Lord knows those Victorian pennies give me a headache just thinking about them. I try to buy the best condition I can afford, but again I don't have to go mad. A good solid VF will do nicely if I can't afford better. If I have a favourite, I'd have to say I do have a penchant for a nice farthing.

So, as I get older and find myself with a little more disposable income, I'm feeling the urge to step things up a bit. Which leads me to look at my collection and think "bloody hell, that lot needs a sort out sharpish". Most of my collection is in Lindner coin trays, but I have a fair few in the dreaded plastic wallets, some of which are going green from many years of internment. I know, I should know better. :(

To be honest, I know I've got a fair bit to learn even though I've been collecting for years. Some of the fakes I've seen mentioned on here have made me think I probably wouldn't spot them. Same with cleaning / dipping - I need to brush up my skills on spotting this.

So let's start at the beginning - how should I best store my coins, and is there an acknowledged best practice for removing the green? 

I look forward to draining the knowledge from your collective heads. :D

Cheers,

MBE

Welcome MBE, I'm sure some of the collective knowledge will be along soon :)

Most of my coins too are in plastic wallets, they can get a sweaty, but don't know the best way to store either.

Ian..

So, as I get older and find myself with a little more disposable income, I'm feeling the urge to step things up a bit. Which leads me to look at my collection and think "bloody hell, that lot needs a sort out sharpish". Most of my collection is in Lindner coin trays, but I have a fair few in the dreaded plastic wallets, some of which are going green from many years of internment. I know, I should know better. 

Emboldened bit made me cringe MBE. I'd seriously consider getting a decent cabinet for your coins -  Try Peter Nichols  they are the best available in my opinion.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

Emboldened bit made me cringe MBE. I'd seriously consider getting a decent cabinet for your coins -  Try Peter Nichols  they are the best available in my opinion.  

I know, I know. I've just been reading the thread on cleaning decontaminating with acetone. Anyone know if it works on what I assume is some sort of chlorine residue? To be fair, I don't think any of the good stuff is affected as they're more recent purchases. Mostly the stuff I've had for 30 years or more, but I need to think about offloading some to free up funds for better specimens.

The mahogany cabinets are beautiful. But do you know how many farthings I can buy for those prices? :blink: I'm not sure I can justify that as I don't have that many really high grade specimens. 

I can't stop looking at that Crozier cabinet now. :rolleyes:

One reservation I have is the size of holes in the trays - 22mm being the smallest. For the silver 3d at 16.5mm, that's quite a lot of scope for movement. But apart from that, the 28 trays a Crozier holds would accommodate my completed (as if!) collection nicely, making it a one time investment. 

Anyone else want to help me talk myself into it? 

49 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I know, I know. I've just been reading the thread on cleaning decontaminating with acetone. Anyone know if it works on what I assume is some sort of chlorine residue? To be fair, I don't think any of the good stuff is affected as they're more recent purchases. Mostly the stuff I've had for 30 years or more, but I need to think about offloading some to free up funds for better specimens.

The mahogany cabinets are beautiful. But do you know how many farthings I can buy for those prices? :blink: I'm not sure I can justify that as I don't have that many really high grade specimens. 

That's exactly what I thought before I bought mine (except in my case it was pennies rather than Farthings), but I've never once regretted it since, and my coins are perfectly preserved in there. It's a one off, once and for all cost you won't regret - trust me.     

41 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I can't stop looking at that Crozier cabinet now. :rolleyes:

Go on, buy it - you know you want to, and you know it makes sense B) 

Just wanted to say hello to a fellow farthing fanatic.....I understand why many people recommend cabinets and they do look very nice, but I have never used one:P. I have my collection split between albums, and my own slabs. I use the Lighthouse Optima albums with pages that hold coin envelopes/2" x 2" flips

Acetone will normally work on removing the green residue if it is PVC, but not a great substance to have sloshing about, and definitely trial it on a few of your less favourable bits to ensure you are happy with the results first

Edited by Colin G.
  • Like 1

As far as the green stuff - verdigris, you could perhaps take a look at the tips in this thread

Like Colin, I use Lighthouse albums with 2x2 adhesive flips, together with a small percentage that are slabbed and in slab boxes holding 20 slabs.

These can be locked away in my safe, and it is partly for this reason that I haven't gone for a cabinet (security). I like quality wooden furniture and I have plenty of room for a cabinet.

If you are happy with the security aspect regarding your collection, I would go ahead with this one-off purchase - you can also get trays custom made with holes of the diameter you might prefer :)

40 minutes ago, Colin G. said:

Just wanted to say hello to a fellow farthing fanatic.....I understand why many people recommend cabinets and they do look very nice, but I have never used one:P. I have my collection split between albums, and my own slabs. I use the Lighthouse Optima albums with pages that hold coin envelopes/2" x 2" flips

Well, most of my collection is in 13 Lindner trays, which I can always buy more of. I do like it for the farthings because it's a nice snug fit. It's the early dates, about 1860-1874 that are in the plastic wallets, plus the overspill of other denominations. Certainly, a few more trays would be a cheaper option.

Are you saying you use the albums with the pocketed sleeves, into which you insert a paper envelope? If so, how do you see them? I like to have a nose at mine...

DSCF7298.JPG

47 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

As far as the green stuff - verdigris, you could perhaps take a look at the tips in this thread

I didn't think the green from a PCV wallet or album was the same as verdigris? I thought it was due to the chlorine leaching out from the PVC over a number of years?

34 minutes ago, Paulus said:

If you are happy with the security aspect regarding your collection

Errr...not entirely. As in I haven't really got any. The trays are on top of the bookcase. :unsure:

9 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

One reservation I have is the size of holes in the trays - 22mm being the smallest. For the silver 3d at 16.5mm, that's quite a lot of scope for movement. But apart from that, the 28 trays a Crozier holds would accommodate my completed (as if!) collection nicely, making it a one time investment. 

Anyone else want to help me talk myself into it? 

You could always buy some lighthouse capsules that fit the 22mm tray holes, then the farthings can be housed in them. Everytime people start talking about Peter's cabinets though I get very tempted... VERY tempted.

36 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

You could always buy some lighthouse capsules that fit the 22mm tray holes, then the farthings can be housed in them. Everytime people start talking about Peter's cabinets though I get very tempted... VERY tempted.

That's not as easy as you make it sound. Internal diameter 20mm has an outside diameter of 26mm. Although I'm being a bit of a pedant - your point is that there would be some sort of acceptable workaround. Having said that, I can't see any spec on the depth of a capsule, and the drawers have a 6mm capacity which I suspect may not be deep enough.

No I don't mean that they will be snug in the capsule, I just mean they won't fall out of the trays as easy because the capsule will hold them in place. More of a compromise than anything.

Not sure on the depth either because on the most part they only list the depth in terms of the internal measurement, but they seem to go from about 4mm upwards.

• Like 1

I tend to use the Quadrum capsules for storage as they are relatively cheap, allow access to the coin for photos, and are a bit more sturdy that a cardboard flip. They also provide a few nice storage options for these that fit nicely into secure storage. I would love a traditional coin cabinet but my budget doesnt allow me to stretch that far just yet.

s6-cargo-coin-case-with-6-12-x-50-mm-blunobile-quadrum-square-coin-capsules-storquadrum38.jpg

11 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I didn't think the green from a PCV wallet or album was the same as verdigris? I thought it was due to the chlorine leaching out from the PVC over a number of years?

I don't think it is. The PVC slime can be removed with acetone I believe but it may need more than one dip and applying a bit of force to shift it will probably help.

Re storage, I use 2x2s made from polyethylene teraphthelate (PET) which is apparently inert.

Not being one to miss an opportunity. I have the trays custom made to fit the different denominations, including the maundy sets.cabinet002.thumb.jpg.1b991d74e3ec6c8a4a2cabinet001.thumb.jpg.2a9ba1681e985d9950e

• Like 3

Oh wow I pictured them being much smaller than that! It's good to see one in action, looks great!

That really is a beautiful cabinet Gary 

3 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

No I don't mean that they will be snug in the capsule, I just mean they won't fall out of the trays as easy because the capsule will hold them in place. More of a compromise than anything.

Not sure on the depth either because on the most part they only list the depth in terms of the internal measurement, but they seem to go from about 4mm upwards.

Not sure where it is as I'm on my phone but I remember Clive, who collects hammered pennies, showing a tray where his coins are in capsules and it looked very nice indeed.

Of course it depends how much you worry about small coins moving around on the felt pads... or are bothered by the aesthetics of little coins in larger recesses...

6 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

Not sure where it is as I'm on my phone but I remember Clive, who collects hammered pennies, showing a tray where his coins are in capsules and it looked very nice indeed.

Of course it depends how much you worry about small coins moving around on the felt pads... or are bothered by the aesthetics of little coins in larger recesses...

At the time Peter made up the trays with a range of hole sizes so I've got the appropiate size hole to suit the coin. The smaller coins have a small hole underneath so that they can be lifted with something like a cocktail stick, saves using a screwdriver down the edge to lever then out. I also have mixed trays so that say where the pennies end the half pennies start, otherwise I'd need too many trays to fit the cabinet. I've taken the two medal tray out as it is and replaced them with coin trays. As my collection has changed I've also had new trays made to suit. I also asked Peter to make the stand at the same time. I think I paid £500 in all about 7-8 years ago.

5 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

I would love a traditional coin cabinet but my budget doesnt allow me to stretch that far just yet.

It's the eternal dilemma - more coins or something to put them in. ?

By the way, I have been admiring your rapid work so far - some very nice half crowns you've got there. ?