British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hello dear readers,

I would be very grateful if somebody could offer some kind of grading for my coin or whether it looks like it would only be worth Gold scrap value? I know its hard to judge from photo's but any feedback would be a great The coin is  1879 Victoria Young Head St George Gold Sovereign - London Mint. If it does appear to be of an acceptable standard to sell would it be worth having it officially graded to maximize the selling potential or just sell it as it is? Thank you kindly for any help.

regards

coin5.jpg

Coin6.jpg

I'd say near VF. There's a lot of contact marks on the obverse, and on the whole it doesn't look that brilliant. You might get a collector who'd want it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Really, I think bullion value only would be a realistic way of looking at it.     

I'd agree it's not in good condition at all. You may realise more by selling it through one of Facebook sovereign / bullion groups. You should get more than the jewellers and bullion dealers pay and there's no fees as there is with ebay etc. On the plus side, gold prices have increased well over the last few weeks from five year lows.

Today around £178 to £180 with the big bullion dealers.

You will achieve more via ebay, but you have the fees on top, which I think are 10% from memory.

I'd say aVF too. Not sure if there any varieties off the top of my head but it's worth checking before selling it for bullion value,

Hmm, PM me for a better offer. LOL, but true. OK, the obverse on this coin (date) comes absolutely terrible, so just a bit of wear on a bad strike/worn die is gonna drop it in grade. I might even go gVF as a grade because of this particular coin and its traits - that would be more of a technical grade in terms of actual wear.

Hi just looking at this coin if it is a London 1879 it would be a R4 with about 20000 minted,the B of B.P. also looks to be missing,however can't tell from the pictures.

The coin looks to have been removed from a ring at some stage,which would hinder the price.

One sold Baldwins Auction 88 Lot 2065. (can't find the sale Sheet for the Auction)

London coins Auction 149 Lot 2494.     

Hi, thanks for all of your swift and helpful replies. Looking at the Coin Yearbook 2013 it gives the price guide\Mintage for the coin I posted as:

Mintage 20013

F £500, VF £1100 and EF £4000

As "Benny who" stated in his post one sold at Baldwins for £840 (Condition Cleaned, scuffed with surface marks and hairlines, otherwise good fine and very rare)  in the link below:

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=716&lot=2065 

I think I will hang fire on the melting down route until I do some more investigating.

Once again thanks for your assistance it was much appreciated.

rgds 

I would grade your sovereign at NVF with surface digs on the obverse side located on the chin and neck of the queen. Spink Coins of England 2016 catalogs your coin at F 600 VF 1300 & EF 4750 GBP. Probably worth hanging on to.

at a quick look obverse nvf reverse gvf

21 hours ago, Mynki said:

No varieties according to Marsh.

There may be medium or long tail varieties for the 1879 (there are for Melbourne anyway).

So, just missed out on this beauty....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281919190826?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I did win a very nice half sovereign at a good price, but not much compensation really! :D

It sat at £760 up until 12 seconds before the auction end, then a flurry of bids all came in right at the end. I'll not post my exact words...

Cheers mynki for the link it looked a nice one. Gives me some idea as to what they can go for and with the number of bids there must be some demand for that coin. That is another option me putting it on ebay. i was considering other coin auctions http://www.baldwin.co.uk/ and www.londoncoins.co.uk Hopefully you have more luck bidding next time those last second snipers can be a real pain in the derrier!

cheers

Don't forget that the difference between grades for this type of year can mean a big chunk of money. But if you're looking for another sale, there's one coming up in March at LCA;

3rd from the bottom

NEF/EF (as graded by them) so a bit better than yours, but it gives you an idea at least.

9 hours ago, silkysmoothsmoocher said:

Cheers mynki for the link it looked a nice one. Gives me some idea as to what they can go for and with the number of bids there must be some demand for that coin. That is another option me putting it on ebay. i was considering other coin auctions http://www.baldwin.co.uk/ and www.londoncoins.co.uk Hopefully you have more luck bidding next time those last second snipers can be a real pain in the derrier!

cheers

The real problem was that the other snipers had much deeper pockets than me! :lol:

The seller is a guy called Ezen, he has a huge gold coin collection featuring some exceptional examples. He owns numerous 'best known' coins graded by PCGS. This was one of his cast offs along with almost 30 other coins. He auctions them through ebay regularly with 99p starting bids. I'm sure some of his would do better at Baldwins and DNW etc, but it must work for him...

It was quite a nice example that he sold. His pictures on Facebook of said coin are better than those on ebay but you need to be a member of his private group to view.

9 hours ago, silkysmoothsmoocher said: