British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Commonest (cheapest) Viccy Copper and Bronze Pennies in High Grade

Sorry if this counts as yet another penny thread (which I guess it does), but as a type collector, focussing mainly on milled silver, I also want some examples of other denominations.

So my question is, without relying purely on the price guides such as Spink et al, what years are the best to get a type example of an EF+ copper and a GEF+ bronze Viccy penny (with some/much lustre)? To clarify, I am NOT interested in rare dates or varieties ...

And if anyone is awash with duplicates to sell that fit the grade, are a fair price, and have no problems, please PM me :)

My only example at the moment is a 1901 with some lustre, too embarrassed to show it though :lol:

9 hours ago, Paulus said:

Sorry if this counts as yet another penny thread (which I guess it does), but as a type collector, focussing mainly on milled silver, I also want some examples of other denominations.

So my question is, without relying purely on the price guides such as Spink et al, what years are the best to get a type example of an EF+ copper and a GEF+ bronze Viccy penny (with some/much lustre)? To clarify, I am NOT interested in rare dates or varieties ...

And if anyone is awash with duplicates to sell that fit the grade, are a fair price, and have no problems, please PM me :)

My only example at the moment is a 1901 with some lustre, too embarrassed to show it though :lol:

EF+ Copper, I'd say 1853, 1854 or 1858 - probably £80 or so.

GEF + Bronze Viccy, as you say 1901. But as far as buns are concerned, probably 1890 or 1891. Maybe also 1887, as they don't seem too scarce in high grade. I reckon you could get one for about £100.

• Like 1

Hi paulus i have a spare 1891 CGS 32567  graded 75 would sell for £70 including postage.

Although i may say it myself its nicer than the picture(as you no some are not the best).

Not a problem if no use let me no if you would prefer another date.

Pete.

Also I'd add that the 1901 examples have some of the best strikes on both the rev. and obv. and you can probably pick a nice one up for 20-30 quid without trouble.

I'd agree with Mike about the '90 + '91 and Pete's offer is a very good one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Also I'd add that the 1901 examples have some of the best strikes on both the rev. and obv. and you can probably pick a nice one up for 20-30 quid without trouble.

I'd agree with Mike about the '90 + '91 and Pete's offer is a very good one.

I agree. CGS75 is about MS63 on the Sheldon scale, so nice, and a very reasonable price.   

Just to add, Pete was showing me some slabbed pennies using the UINs and pictures the same as the one's CGS are showing, but when he took pictures for me on his phone it shows how much the CGS pics are letting them down, they look much better in his own close up ones.

Suffice to say, I wouldn't doubt what he says in that it is nicer than the pictures show!

Rob has a pretty nice 1901 £35

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Hi paulus i have a spare 1891 CGS 32567  graded 75 would sell for £70 including postage.

Although i may say it myself its nicer than the picture(as you no some are not the best).

Not a problem if no use let me no if you would prefer another date.

Pete.

Thanks Pete, I'll take you up on that, email sent