British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Martymart

HELP, IM STUMPED

Hello,

Im looking at an 1877 British Penny. To the left of Britannia is a lighthouse, to the right of Britannia there is a ship. Google may be good but it cannot answer this question. What is the significance of the lighthouse and the ship on British coins?

Any clues or pointers on this quest would be most appreciated

"Britannia rules the waves" - in the Victorian era the British empire was truly at its height, and we actually did "rule the waves". The reverse design of the bun penny features Britannia seated and the accompanying ship and lighthouse reflect the ruling the waves sentiment (fact as well).

That would be my theory at any rate, although I must confess I can't find too much written down about it. 

• Like 1

Just as a rider to the above.

In his book "The Bronze coinage of Great Britain", Michael Freeman says that the lighthouse is believed to represent the Eddystone Lighthouse (which is about 12 miles SSW of Plymouth Sound), and the ship is thought to represent "The Golden Hind" (Drake's 16th century ship which circumnavigated the globe).    

Edited by 1949threepence
typos
  • Like 2

On 2/1/2016 at 3:52 AM, 1949threepence said:

"Britannia rules the waves" - in the Victorian era the British empire was truly at its height, and we actually did "rule the waves". The reverse design of the bun penny features Britannia seated and the accompanying ship and lighthouse reflect the ruling the waves sentiment (fact as well).

That would be my theory at any rate, although I must confess I can't find too much written down about it. 

I would concur with this assessment.....

• Like 2

Maybe the lighthouse signifies the fact we are an island nation allbeit in a very different form.