British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

1819 Shilling - 9 over 9??

Would people agree that this is 9 over 9 (Davies 89), not listed in Spink or (old) ESC?

1819_sh_02_9_over_9_01_1300.jpg

1819_sh_02_9_over_9_obv02.png

1 minute ago, Coinery said:

Beyond a shadow of a doubt for me!

Thanks Stu, just wanted to give you something other than pennies to look at! Not 9 over inverted 6 then? :P

6?

i'd say not, on a couple of points!

primarily that the underlying digit looks tilted to me, which has the back arch of the upper loop sloping rightward, explaining the bottom 'bobble' of the under-letter appearing to sit inward of the top loop (does that make sense?).

secondly, it's unlikely a six punch was to hand at a time there was a perfectly decent 9 punch in service?

I totally agree - I asked half-jokingly because there was a post quite recently of a TPG assigning 'something over inverted 6' when the known variety was 'over 9' - from memory I think most agreed it was almost certainly a straight forward 'over 9', as I believe this one to be.

Can anyone tell me if this variety is now in the new ESC?

Yes it is, but I'm not sure why Bull (or Davies or anyone else) considers a pair of misaligned correct digits to be worthy of it's own variety number. Surely this is just crap workmanship as opposed to a genuine error or overstruck date to extend the die's life? All it does is beg the inevitable question as to the displacement required to make it an 'official' error. I can see that 'over an inverted' is also a bad day at the office, but at least it is unambiguous.

Most definitely - one of the most obvious examples I have seen.

A rather nice example!

18 hours ago, Paulus said:

Thanks Stu, just wanted to give you something other than pennies to look at! Not 9 over inverted 6 then? :P

Much appreciated! I was thinking I might have to acquire a few pennies just to participate in the forum. :P

• Like 1

That looks familiar....;)

• Like 1