British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mshef

Need help to ID two cut shortcross halfpennies

Good day, everyone.

I have two cut shortcross halfpennies. One - with mintmaster name Willelm and one - with letters ED . ON (I"m not sure about letter E).

I need help to identify the ruler and, if it possible, mint

I"ll be very grateful for help

Sincerely, mshef6a2a1fe1bfc2.jpg88e3b733b666.jpg

OK! As no-one else has come forward - yet, I'll venture the first one as Henry III class 6x of Canterbury. My reference being Wren "The Short-cross Coinage 1180-1247.  But I stand to be corrected! The second - I have no idea!!!

Thank you! But as I see in Spink's Coins of England and the United kingdom (2002), mintmaster Willelm on Canterbury mint in the time of Henry III struck coins of types 7b-c and 8b-c.

On 1/28/2016 at 5:33 AM, mshef said:

Thank you! But as I see in Spink's Coins of England and the United kingdom (2002), mintmaster Willelm on Canterbury mint in the time of Henry III struck coins of types 7b-c and 8b-c.

I only found this forum today, but I like to try to identify short-cross cut halves, so first post...

Firstly, there were a series of moneyers with the name Willelm operating throughout the short-cross series; some even had a letter after their name to differentiate them (Willelm B, L & T).

From the portrait I'm 99% certain that the first coin is a class 5b or 5c of John, which means that it could have been minted at Chichester, Kings Lynn or London. On closer inspection of the obverse I think it's actually class 5b1).

The second is much more difficult, but the portrait looks like a class 5 or class 6, so the king is either John or Henry III. .The last letter of the moneyer's name is definitely D, so after a quick scan of Wren I think that the possible moneyers are Arnavd (class 5 London and Canterbury), Hernavd (Class 5 Canterbury), Renavd (Class 5 Norwich and York) and  Roberd (Class 5 Northampton), although the other partial letter looks more like a V than an R, so I'd discount Roberd.

I may be able to get a better ID tomorrow when I get a chance to refer to my copy of Mass, which I find essential for IDing short-cross coins.

• Like 3

I'm pretty certain that the first is Class 5b1 and is either WILLELM(.B.ON.LV) or WILLELM(.T.ON.LV), so London mint. They are they only two examples of Willelm in Mass (1432 and1447 respectively) with the obverse lettering HENRICVSRE/X (i.e. with the E before the sceptre).

The first visible letter second one is not a V or R; the only other thing it looks like is an L, which could make it a class 5a2 (RENA)LD.ON.(NOR), so Norwich mint. At least the letters are in the right place with the D in the 6 o'clock position, but that's about all I can say.

• Like 2