British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

Rare but how actually rare is it?????

Not having a clue about them,was the 50p withdrawn for some reason .

I cant understand why they are so expensive/rare.

8 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Not having a clue about them,was the 50p withdrawn for some reason .

I cant understand why they are so expensive/rare.

Yeah, they decided against the waves going over the face after a few (hundred?) strikes, changed the design to get rid of the waves then recontinued production. 

20 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Is this waves thing documented anywhere ?

I'm pretty sure Chris (Perkins) sold one last year for just under 1000, then included it in that year's edition of Collectors' Coins.

Also the penultimate entry in this RM blog mentions it.

• Like 1

There's also one for sale on eBay right now - I think it's yours John's right? Sorry I can't work it out from the messages!

Anyway, here's a link for those who are interesed - Aquatics 50p

Really for the coins rarity it is overpriced  for instance there are probably less TB-RB 1860 mule farthings hanging around than these 2p coins .

When do you ever really hear of a decimal coin collector? Hardly ever IMO.

At least there are plenty farthing collectors around .

Hyped for its rarity IMO

Not having a clue about rare decimal coins.

Is there a list of ones that are sought after ?.

True, but how many rarities exist in the period around 1860? I can think of more right now that I can count on both of my hand, whereas the rarities of the 'modern era' are far and few between.

While there might be less collectors, there are far less different rare examples to be had. Most of which are not that rare but still fetch a little premium, the undated 20p, kew gardens 50p (which the RM unecessarily blew out of proportion IMO).

Pete, off the top of my head;

- undated 20p

- kew gardens 50p

- 1983 new pence 2p

- Aquatics 50p with waves over the face

- (a little less known) 1992 10p with 1 point to bead (broad rim)

I'm sure there's a couple more

• Like 1

Thank you.

I have heard of the others but the 1992 10p i saw on another thread recently is that rare and how much do they sell for ?.

36 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Really for the coins rarity it is overpriced  for instance there are probably less TB-RB 1860 mule farthings hanging around than these 2p coins .

Hyped for its rarity IMO

Think if you have a good look around now you will find lots of Decimal Coin Collectors. Have a look at Facebook groups and dedicated decimal websites. I collect a bit of everything, main predecimal bronze and copper. Maybe the price is a little high but these prices are being realised so definitely a market for them and therefore a collector base.

I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at either as part of my collection.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

True, but how many rarities exist in the period around 1860? I can think of more right now that I can count on both of my hand, whereas the rarities of the 'modern era' are far and few between.

While there might be less collectors, there are far less different rare examples to be had. Most of which are not that rare but still fetch a little premium, the undated 20p, kew gardens 50p (which the RM unecessarily blew out of proportion IMO).

Pete, off the top of my head;

- undated 20p

- kew gardens 50p

- 1983 new pence 2p

- Aquatics 50p with waves over the face

- (a little less known) 1992 10p with 1 point to bead (broad rim)

I'm sure there's a couple more

I have been trying to get a nice example of the Dot to Dot 1992 10p for a while. The L I and A of ELIZABETH point to a bead and 1 of 1992 also points to a bead. I have all the other 4 variants and 2 light weight 1992 10p's both weighing 6.3g instead of 6.5g.

really not sure about price Pete, haven't managed to find anyone with it for sale yet! I know I will pay £5 for a reasonable one or more for one in pristine condition!

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

There's also one for sale on eBay right now - I think it's yours John's right? Sorry I can't work it out from the messages!

Anyway, here's a link for those who are interesed - Aquatics 50p

That is my listing, but there are a couple more currently listed to choose from, one at £1,995 BIN, another at £3,000 BIN

• Like 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Hyped for its rarity IMO

A lot more than you might think.

• Like 2

Is there a smaller head variety of the 1992 20p or did I just dream that? If so, does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, The Future said:

Is there a smaller head variety of the 1992 20p or did I just dream that? If so, does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks

Yes there is. The small head being the rarer of the two. The small head is the same as the 1991 and the larger becomes the standard for this effigy until it changes.

I have seen the Martini & Heinz sets with this 2p, but was totally unaware that the RM sets included it too. I'm sure I have read a press release from the RM saying the 2p coins were only minted in error for commercial sets they produced after the original run of circulating coins were struck.  

Nutsabout coins is right from what I have heard .

I did read the artical in their numismatic society  about the undated 20p and its wrong , in fact there are three different 2008 20p coins , there is the early design 2008 20p, the mule, and the ordinary dated one

Copper, is the undated 2008 the scarcest one of the three?

5 hours ago, copper123 said:

Nutsabout coins is right from what I have heard .

I did read the artical in their numismatic society  about the undated 20p and its wrong , in fact there are three different 2008 20p coins , there is the early design 2008 20p, the mule, and the ordinary dated one

As you say Copper, along with all the pence coins they were issued in 2008 with their original reverse designs, then later issued with Matthew Dent's shield reverse. The mule being a mixture of the two.

2 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Copper, is the undated 2008 the scarcest one of the three?

Both the 2008 Crowned Rose and Shield reverse 20p are common, but the undated 20 pences were withdrawn by the RM and those that made it into circulation were quickly removed by collectors etc although I believe you can still find them on eBay etc. I haven't seen any minted figures for the mule.  

• Like 1

The 20p undated i have one i bought with a few others a couple of years ago its in a cgs slab but GEF.

They dont interest me and happy to get rid of it.

If anyone wants one PM me £50 inc postage

That was quick haha, but they're 50 quid raw normally, so with a slab it was a good price!

At a quick guess I would say there were around 80,000 undated 20p coins that entered circulation

They were NOT withdrawn from circulation by the royal mint but by people who found them in their pockets, putting them on ebay .

How do you think the royal mint would withdraw them anyway? The only way would be to get banks to take them out of circulation  and as there are about 20 000 000,000 of them in circulation it would cost a fortune to sort every mint bag in every bank , it would also have to be done on an arranged day , the man hours involved would be massive

Do you seriously think the royal mint would do this - no chance - they even said in a press statement that they were "worth face value" no more.(folks on ebay thought differently)

My brother worked for a bank at the time and he never heard of this recall.