British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Edward II Canterbury Penny Class 11a2

£22 delivered...quite pleased with that, a nice quality flan. I was particularly interested in this one because of the distinctive reverse die (rim fragment punched into die, and interesting O in CANTOR - probably a C punched twice [normally and reversed to form an O of sorts - the C overlies it quite nicely using software]), and also for the possible punctuation mark after HYB? Apparently there is a Canterbury variety that has said punctuation, anyone for a vote on this one? It would've very much looked like it had the coin been slightly more worn, and the mark flattened somewhat????? Clogged, maybe, cruddy die??? In the exploded view it looks a little more shallow, though it's actually only just below the height of the letters. It looks bolder if you look at the full coin image here.

Edward%20II%20Canterbury%20Penny%2011a2_

Contraction%20Mark_zpseerrrzm0.jpg

Edited by Coinery

Nice find! I don't think the 'punctuation mark' is intended. Perhaps a rough made blank before striking?

If you look around your expanded clips you see much evidence for this!

Edited by Geordie582

A lot of the stops/no stops of even modern coinage are spurious it's true...would be interesting to see the coin that Withers used to mark this punctuated Canterbury variety. Makes me wonder whether it might be a flattened example of the raised dot I have in this coin?

I wonder if they used a coin from the North collection for this? Anyone for a quick browse in SCBI 39 for me? He couldn't have had too many Canterbury Class 11s around, maybe I can match dies?

On 22/1/2016 at 11:34 AM, Coinery said:

A lot of the stops/no stops of even modern coinage are spurious it's true...would be interesting to see the coin that Withers used to mark this punctuated Canterbury variety. Makes me wonder whether it might be a flattened example of the raised dot I have in this coin?

I wonder if they used a coin from the North collection for this? Anyone for a quick browse in SCBI 39 for me? He couldn't have had too many Canterbury Class 11s around, maybe I can match dies?

nice penny !! I tried to see if this variety is reported on the SCBI 39 but nothing ... and honestly I don't think it could be considered as a punctuation mark 

I'm thinking the same thing to be honest, but stick to the idea that a more worn example could elude to it!

Many thanks for taking a look in the good book for me. I don't have this one catalogued as punctuated in my own notes...I think I'll be leaving it that way, but would love to see the coin/coins that the variety was/were recorded from! :)