British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Robert

George III Half Guinea

Hi,

Rooting through an attic and have come across this. Almost certain it is a George III half guinea and have no wish to sell it. The last I on George III seems to be slightly hidden by the kings head which seems to be slightly different to other pictures I have seen.

Robert

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

I believe it is a brass gaming token.

A half guinea should weigh approx 4g if gold.A gaming token will weigh approx 2g.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. I just weighed it and it is 8 grms and 24mm across. Would that make it a guinea?

Robert

7 hours ago, Robert said:

Excellent, well that is the first coin in my collection then.Thank you.

Robert

A very nice first coin :) Good find too, most finds like this turn out to be tokens, as Peter said.

14 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

A very nice first coin :) Good find too, most finds like this turn out to be tokens, as Peter said.

Seconded

Nice :) Just check the rims for signs of solder or any mounting marks....cracking 1st coin.

When I first saw your id of it I thought you were wrong and knew it was a guinea not a half, looks like its been in the ground going by the red earth in some of the letters nice find :)