British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Oli

Most valuable coin you own.....

To sum it all up:

1. It is an outstanding coin.

2. You have the ability to buy it if you want.

3. You may never be able to acquire a better specimin.

4. It may not 'fit in' to your present collection.

5. IT IS YOUR CHOICE AND YOURS ALONE.

presicely :)

... perhaps it could even be my 1927 halfpenny struck shilling size with a milled edge!  Who knows.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Chris...any explanation for the existence of a 1927 halfpenny struck shilling size with a milled edge?

Ummm, what book do you have that explains what an "even collection" is?? To begin with, equally good does not necessarily mean equally expensive.

I don't have a book; I never said I had a book which explains what I meant. Where ytou got this idea from I have no clue. I know equally does not necessarily mean equally expensive, but it follows that the bteeter something is, the more expensive it is.

Oh and JMD, don't do all the quotes in line, it's just plain annoying.

Exactly, buying this one beautiful coin would look out of place in a collection with lesser specimens. The price of the higher grade, older coins prohibits most people from purchasing them.

That's what i do Oli, i buy coins that i really have to save for... I can sustain the collection at present but in 2 years time when i've left uni and more important things will come into play, and lack of student loan means my active collecting days of these high floating coins will grind to a halt.

But at least i will have been there and bought the t-shirt, and i'm sure it'll take me seven times as long to get just one in future but if i can knock the most expensive ones off now whilst i'm in a position to do so i'll make it easier on myself in future.

If he wants to buy just one expensive one now i say go for it. My motto is start with the hard ones and work your way through them, and save the easy ones till last.

Remember the number one rule in numismatics, Quality not quantity!

Think;

1) Which coin is most likely to maintain its value with little effort, (in case you need to sell in future), note i said maintain its value, not appreciate in value, getting your money back is the key not a profit. A profit is a bonus.

2) Which coin will maintain popularity in future?

3) Which do you prefer?

My method of collecting differs from Oli's, Oli's approach is to buy coins that are managebly within his budget with a view to completing a series.

My view is to collect a small amount of the highest quality coins i can afford that i find eye appealing, whether they fit in or not. So a Queen Mary Groat does not fit in with my sixpence collection but i like the coin, i like it's history, i find it eye appealing, it is in a decent grade and thus i bought it, even if it might look out of place.

Numismatics is all about approach, i find the best approach is your own approach, and the more experience you get the more you adapt it and wisen up about what's the right thing to do, you never know until you try, but it can be fun.

I don't collect copper coins and they'd look totally out of place in my collection but if i saw a full lustred extremely high grade Victoria Farthing that caught my attention enough, i may just buy it.

I nearly bought a high grade Vicky Shield reverse sovereign the other day, just as an example of one (cos i love em!), that wouldn't fit either but so what? :rolleyes:

(And to be honest if i had stuck to collecting shield reverse sovereigns i would have had half a collection by now! and it would have been cheaper than these EM sixpences!)

Master JMD,

The whole point of numismatics is to enjoy coins and to enjoy your collection, so if you think that that coin will make you happy, then you should buy it! :)

Master JMD,

The whole point of numismatics is to enjoy coins and to enjoy your collection, so if you think that that coin will make you happy, then you should buy it! :)

:blink: what have i done? :huh::blink:

LOOK BACK AT THE BLOODY TOPIC

LOOK BACK AT THE BLOODY TOPIC

ah right :) , it was just that sylvester was saying about you Oli...

I was talking about the fact that you wanted to buy that BU penny from Colin Cooke. ;)

... perhaps it could even be my 1927 halfpenny struck shilling size with a milled edge!  Who knows.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Chris...any explanation for the existence of a 1927 halfpenny struck shilling size with a milled edge?

Sorry, I completely missed your question Coppers.

I heard once that the mint workers back then used to sometimes muck around just for the fun of it, the milled edge half penny that's shilling size but bronze could be as a result of that.

It is also possible (although unlikely because it is definitely small) that it could have been a normal halfpenny that had a milled edge rolled onto it by a machine in later life.