British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Oli

Most valuable coin you own.....

I was just wondering what the best (i.e Most valuable) coin is that people in this forum owned. Mine would be an 1833 Sovereign in VF - £325 (according to Spink 2004) :)

Good idea.

Probably one of the ancient Greek coins I have which if I can confirm it's authenticity should be worth about GBP15,000! It looks very real, and my friend at www.coinsforsale.co.uk who has been an ancient coin dealer for 40 years also says it looks very real.

Next time in in the UK i'll pick it up and take it to the British Museum for verification.

If it isn't that one it could be another Greek Decadrachm I also need to get verified.

If both of those were made by the same bloke that seems to be producing all the dodgy pound coins these days then it's probably my 1937 Proof Sovereign (Spink 2004 GBP750.00). I have seen them sell for GBP1000.00

Or perhaps it could even be my 1927 halfpenny struck shilling size with a milled edge! Who knows.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Ah here is a question one of which i have two (and a half)answers to, because i'm awkward (sorry but it's in my nature)...

The most valuable coin in my collection going on the catalogue prices would be my 1688 James II Half Guinea in F condition, (incidentally it's the only James II coin i have), and the 2003 Spinks catalogue price was £300 i believe (although i bought it last year for £225 first time i've actually made a profit on a coin there! And first time i broke the £200 boundary) I'm not sure what the 2004 price is though.

The second most valuble (which is the coin i have paid most for to date) would be the US Gold Double Eagle which pricewise would be about £275 (they cost more here than they do in the US due to supply being lower...most that go on EBay go for about £320 in EF, despite being not worth that in the catalogue.

Mine is a 1894 GEF specimen, i still reckon it would fetch about £275 on a good day...i paid quite a bit more for it though, (£329 to be precise) but i knew i was paying more than it was worth, but what can i say i wanted one! And i had to fight to get it, so i wasn't the only one that though it was worth it.

Recently i've seen a more common dated 1904 specimen in VF condition (if that) go for about £279 so i'm not far off then.

The most valuable coin i own (sentimentally) would be my 1674 sixpence, (yes pictured in the avatar), i think this coin set me back about £125.

Sylvester.

Currently saving up for some more coins...

Mine is a 1894 GEF specimen, i still reckon it would fetch about £275 on a good day...

Here's a link to a picture of that Double Eagle...amongst some other coins in my gallery on another group i regularly frequent.

http://www.coinpeople.com/forums/album_per....php?user_id=36

Sylvester.

Very pretty coin, that Double Eagle.

I also had a look around that almost entirely US forum and was shocked at some of the grades given to the 1917 US Cent! Did someone really give it an MS63!!!!

Even anything AU is pushing the boat out!

Hope this link works:

http://www.coinpeople.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1452

Chris

Very pretty coin, that Double Eagle.

I also had a look around that almost entirely US forum and was shocked at some of the grades given to the 1917 US Cent! Did someone really give it an MS63!!!!

Even anything AU is pushing the boat out!

Hope this link works:

http://www.coinpeople.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1452

Chris

Yes i'm afraid they did, MS63 and i shook my head when i saw that!

I think i gave it VF35 tops, might have been lower though. It's definately not EF in my opinion, but then again it's not my field of speciality and i hate grading cents so i avoid them wherever possible.

Sylvester.

Sadly it is US dominated, but it's helped me gain some info on the US stuff so i'm indebted to it on that front, and i get on well with all the regulars on there.

Sadly most things on the internet are US biased, that's why i try and brighten up their little lives with a few shillings and such...

Actually someone's voted MS66! WHAT!!! CAPITAL LETTERS CAN'T DESCRIBE WHAT I'M THINKING NOW...

Sylvester.

It must have been a joke, or perhaps it's that same person that has the braille Guineas!

Chris

Guest Eliza

Since I don't go for really pricey coins, my collection (such as it is) is pretty humble. But all things being relative, I'd say it's a toss up between my AU 1900 Crown or my VF-EF 1663 shilling.

What I WANT (no sense looking in the Xmas stocking, though) is a Wm & Mary half-crown or shilling with the "WMs" interlocked on the back. But it'll be a year of skipping the morning coffee and biscotti to save up for that.

Eliza

Did you see my W+M Half Crown with the obvious overstruck 'M'. I think ESC lists that variety as rare.

http://www.predecimal.com/forsale/williamandmaryhc.jpg

The page it's on:

http://www.predecimal.com/new_early_milled.htm

Special price to you!

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest Eliza

Chris, you're a gentleman and a scholar to make such an offer. I just can't at this moment. I'll keep my eye on it, though. We'll see what January brings.

Eliza

Guest Dan

I've got a number of VIP proofs: 1947 halfcrown aFDC; 1947 scot. shilling aFDC; 1954 eng. shilling aFDC; 1958 brass threepence, toned aFDC.

Super, how did you come by those?

Chris

Super, how did you come by those?

Chris

Yes how!!! I surprised you can get them at all...very rare you see them. I've never seen one of the less well know proofs for sale!

Syl.

I think I may have an 1895 Proof Farthing, either that or it was the first off the run with the bran new die.

Chris

Guest Dan

I got them through various auctions and coin fairs. I've also got a very prooflike 1895 farthing. It's a currency piece as only the reverse has the mirror finish. Rare proofs could be obtained quite easily up to the 1980s as many dealers didn't know what they were selling (I managed to get an 1888 proof sixpence that way) but now they have got wise, thanks to the Coincraft catalogue, and the proofs don't turn up so much. The first catalogue that listed the rare proofs was the small "Collectors' Coins" booklet. It was (I think) Keith Bayford (KB Coins) that started the interest in rare proofs. Some of mine have come from him, and he once told me that he owns a 1954 proof set - minus penny of course. According the "Collectors' Coins", the British Museum has a complete proof run of brass threepences, 1937-67 (except 1947).

and he once told me that he owns a 1954 proof set - minus penny of course. According the "Collectors' Coins", the British Museum has a complete proof run of brass threepences, 1937-67 (except 1947).

I was going to say, that 1954 penny would be a killer in any collection.

I once tried to collect Brass Threepences, but i was amazed at how expensive the BU ones could get. (High for the series that is, it's nothing in comparison to what i'm on now) You know the rounded corners varities and the 1950 and 1951 specimens, going for £60+ upto £200. And many dealers don't distinguish which variety they are selling, round corners or sharp corners, and the difference is astounding in prices for some dates, 1946 *cough*.

Only proofs i see come up regularly are the 1887, 1893, 1902 (where the proofs are sometimes cheaper!) 1911, 1927? was it '27 or '28? 1937, 1953 and everyone's favourite 1970.

There are some other years i've forgotten, 1853? and the preceeding coronation years. Forgive me but i've been out of Modern Milled for a year or two.

Guest Dan

Early proof sets:

George IV: 1826: Gold, silver, copper

William IV: 1831: Gold (no £5) silver, copper

Victoria: 1839: Gold (inc Una and the Lion) silver, copper

1853: Sovereign to quarter farthing

Colin Cooke had put an 1831 set on Ebay at £21,000 last week. Don't know if he sold it.

Colin Cooke had put an 1831 set on Ebay at £21,000 last week. Don't know if he sold it.

That must be one of the most seldom seen proof sets. Other than 1746 of course.

1746!? It doesn't even

list
that in Spink! Do you know how many were made and do you have a picture perhaps?

Thanks

p.s it may list it but i don't remember seeing it

1746!? It doesn't even
list
that in Spink! Do you know how many were made and do you have a picture perhaps?

Thanks

p.s it may list it but i don't remember seeing it

They were issued in wedge shaped cases. Four coins in total Crown, Halfcrown, Shilling, Sixpence.

Price in Coincraft's 2000 Catalogue is £10 000

Ref Coincraft 2000, p.651.

Wow I'd love to get my hands on those! Anyone have any mintage figures? I also messed up the quote jiggers in my last post :P

Wow I'd love to get my hands on those! Anyone have any mintage figures? I also messed up the quote jiggers in my last post :P

Nope no mintage figures that i can get my hands on. Eliza and I have been discussing this mintage figures problem at great length in the Early Milled discussion.

I'll keep my eyes out though.

Guest Dan

Just acquired an 1860 beaded border pattern/proof penny aFDC bronzed, Freeman760

Guest custard1966

you're making me drool Dan...

my most expensive to buy is a Moore Pattern 1860 Penny

but probably my most valuable at present is either my 1839 proof penny or my 1856 plain trident (GEF or better)

sadly, the two 1860 copper pennies on e-bay at present are out of my range :(