British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

mike

Anybody with SPINK 2016 laying around?

Hi all,

If anyone had a moment would they be able to get me the latest Spink prices for the following coins please? S.3888 and 3889 (YH Victorian Halfcrowns):

1841 in EF/UNC

1840 UNC

1843 UNC

1849 small date UNC

1875 UNC

1876 UNC

1879 UNC

1882 UNC

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!

Mike

10 hours ago, mike said:

Hi all,

If anyone had a moment would they be able to get me the latest Spink prices for the following coins please? S.3888 and 3889 (YH Victorian Halfcrowns):

1841 in EF/UNC

1840 UNC

1843 UNC

1849 small date UNC

1875 UNC

1876 UNC

1879 UNC

1882 UNC

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!

Mike

1841 in EF/UNC - £5250 / £8750

1840 UNC - £2500

1843 UNC - £4000

1849 small date UNC - £2750

1875 UNC - £1100

1876 UNC - £1150

1879 UNC - £1150

1882 UNC £1150

I would take these coin prices with a pinch of salt, best checking realised prices from auctions. A UNC 1875 sold for £380 at Londoncoins last year, these are overpriced in Spink

1875 UNC - £1100

1876 UNC - £1150

1879 UNC - £1150

1882 UNC £1150

7 minutes ago, azda said:

I would take these coin prices with a pinch of salt, best checking realised prices from auctions. A UNC 1875 sold for £380 at Londoncoins last year, these are overpriced in Spink

1875 UNC - £1100

1876 UNC - £1150

1879 UNC - £1150

1882 UNC £1150

That's more like what I'm used to seeing, some invaluable knowledge that the books can't teach you :) You're a marmite character Dave...you know the saying :P and sorry for the rant, bad morning.

Lol marmite, I think being blunt and straight to the point is more useful than pampering someones ego, it's not too everyones taste but I'm not here to please anyone, I'm here too learn as much as the next man....

• Like 1

;) Likewise, and I've learnt a lot from yourself among many others. No hard feelings!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

;) Likewise, and I've learnt a lot from yourself among many others. No hard feelings!

None taken, but I'm not sure what we're actually talking about lmfao

56 minutes ago, azda said:

Lol marmite, I think being blunt and straight to the point is more useful than pampering someones ego, it's not too everyones taste but I'm not here to please anyone, I'm here too learn as much as the next man....

1 hour ago, azda said:

1875 UNC - £1100

1876 UNC - £1150

1879 UNC - £1150

1882 UNC £1150

I am well aware of it.

It also depends on your grading standards. The coin you've mentioned (CGS75) is not choice UNC in my eyes. It is very unlikely that the coin would sell for £ 440,- (£380,- + BP) if it was graded 80 or above. For example check realised prices for Gothic florins – in grades 75-78 they sell for around £400,- but 1853 in CGS82 sold for 1110, - (Spink 2015 £875,-) and 1876 in CGS80 for £935,- (Spink 2015 £850,-).

IMO Spink UNC prices are for choice UNC coins and yes, they are generally overpriced. I am more interested in trend and the coin you've mentioned in grade 75 sold before for £225,- + BP and now for £380,- + BP which is in keeping with trend in Spink.

PS: unfortunatelly I do not own 1875 Halfcrown (as far as „pampering someones ego“ is concerned)

2 hours ago, Phil said:

1841 in EF/UNC - £5250 / £8750

1840 UNC - £2500

1843 UNC - £4000

1849 small date UNC - £2750

1875 UNC - £1100

1876 UNC - £1150

1879 UNC - £1150

1882 UNC £1150

Thank you very much, Phil. Much appreciated! Mike

• Like 1

You are most welcome Mike, no trouble at all.

Best wishes, Phil

1 hour ago, mike said:

I am well aware of it.

It also depends on your grading standards. The coin you've mentioned (CGS75) is not choice UNC in my eyes. It is very unlikely that the coin would sell for £ 440,- (£380,- + BP) if it was graded 80 or above. For example check realised prices for Gothic florins – in grades 75-78 they sell for around £400,- but 1853 in CGS82 sold for 1110, - (Spink 2015 £875,-) and 1876 in CGS80 for £935,- (Spink 2015 £850,-).

IMO Spink UNC prices are for choice UNC coins and yes, they are generally overpriced. I am more interested in trend and the coin you've mentioned in grade 75 sold before for £225,- + BP and now for £380,- + BP which is in keeping with trend in Spink.

PS: unfortunatelly I do not own 1875 Halfcrown (as far as „pampering someones ego“ is concerned)

You asked a question then disagree with the answer which doesn't suit you, so why ask in the First place. I didn't realise we were asking about CGS graded coins as you only asked about a Spink UNC and a UNC is UNC without involving a CGS grade, of which a 2 point gap makes no damn odds to me or any other collector of a coin and not a number on a slab.

Soink 2014 was £900 in UNC

Soink 2015 was £975 in UNC

CCGB 2015 States £350 in UNC/BU, so now what say You? Is this Book wrong? Tony Claytons website states £550, is this also wrong? Just because 1 auction throws a curveball price doesn't mean it's the given price, Show me the same year/grade coin in 5 BRITISH auctions from Last year at the price you've quoted and then i'll believe Spink

So so if we go back now to 2014 and check those prices WITHOUT slabs then we can compare

Edited by azda

Same graded coin 2 yearly later and a £60 Price difference, still nothing at £1100

01/03/2015
Auction 148Certified CoinsLot
2631Halfcrown 1875 ESC 696 UNC or near so and lustrous with some light flecks of golden toning, slabbed and graded CGS 75 (UIN 14915) 

this halfpenny is the finest known for the variety, an 82, CGS value £575, See how many You can find selling for that price.

image.jpeg

34 minutes ago, azda said:

You asked a question then disagree with the answer which doesn't suit you, so why ask in the First place. I didn't realise we were asking about CGS graded coins as you only asked about a Spink UNC and a UNC is UNC without involving a CGS grade, of which a 2 point gap makes no damn odds to me or any other collector of a coin and not a number on a slab.

Soink 2014 was £900 in UNC

Soink 2015 was £975 in UNC

CCGB 2015 States £350 in UNC/BU, so now what say You? Is this Book wrong? Tony Claytons website states £550, is this also wrong? Just because 1 auction throws a curveball price doesn't mean it's the given price, Show me the same year/grade coin in 5 BRITISH auctions from Last year at the price you've quoted and then i'll believe Spink

So so if we go back now to 2014 and check those prices WITHOUT slabs then we can compare

My question was „If anyone had a moment would they be able to get me the latest Spink prices for the following coins please?“ and I got no nosense answer from Phil. Simple.

And yes, CCGB 2015 is wrong, if you asking. Absolutely ridiculous. BU 1875 Halfcrown for £350,-??? Please send me one. KB coins have NUNC for 600,-, on ebay is one (NGC 64)offered for £1050,-, that's all i can find. Saltford coins have 1877 Halfcrown described as UNC for £800,-,

I should get in touch with these dealers and offer them £350,- as per CCGB 2015 :-).

Just out of interest, is there any dealer on this forum, whou would sell BU 1875 Halcrown for £350,- ??? If yes, please add me on your want list.

The owner of the forum also writes and publishes the CCGB book. Now, as we all know a dealer will ALWAYS quote a Spink price when selling, so how come he NEVER buys in said same price?

If you want to part with silly money for a coin then go right ahead, as I said, same coin in LCs sold 2 years apart same grade at a £60 increase, which in anyones book is a £30 a year increase and nowhere near an £1100 price tag. As for the eBay slabbed coin, well everyone will chance their arm and wait for an idiot to part with their cash, there will always be one.

What I would also like to add is, if all these dealers coins are the same grade then why are'nt they all the same price? Lol

Edited by azda

34 minutes ago, azda said:

Same graded coin 2 yearly later and a £60 Price difference, still nothing at £1100

01/03/2015
Auction 148Certified CoinsLot
2631Halfcrown 1875 ESC 696 UNC or near so and lustrous with some light flecks of golden toning, slabbed and graded CGS 75 (UIN 14915) 

This is NOT BU coin (but still sold for much more than CCGB 2015 price).

Anyway, once again, my question was "If anyone had a moment would they be able to get me the latest Spink prices for the following coins please?" - that's all, everything else in this thread are your assumptions. I do NOT have this coin, so if you think that I want to pay someone 1100,- because of Spink,  your completely wrong. It is excellent news that I can buy one for £350,-. Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, mike said:

This is NOT BU coin (but still sold for much more than CCGB 2015 price).

But did it sell for £1100 as Spink suggests it should? in fact have you seen ANY sell for a Spink quoted price, this was where I jumped in at stating that SPINK BOOK PRICE IS A GUIDE and not what should be used as advice for a bid OR MARKETING TREND

11 minutes ago, azda said:

The owner of the forum also writes and publishes the CCGB book. Now, as we all know a dealer will ALWAYS quote a Spink price when selling, so how come he NEVER buys in said same price?

If you want to part with silly money for a coin then go right ahead, as I said, same coin in LCs sold 2 years apart same grade at a £60 increase, which in anyones book is a £30 a year increase and nowhere near an £1100 price tag. As for the eBay slabbed coin, well everyone will chance their arm and wait for an idiot to part with their cash, there will always be one.

1)Because he needs to make a profit.

2) In my experience, if the coin is choice UNC,  the dealers will offer buying price quite close to Spink as they know they will be able to sell it for even more. It all comes down to grade.  AMR coins  sold in December 1936 nice choice UNC Crown for £1150,- (more than Spink price at that time). I personally would not call the buyer "idiot", it is probably difficult to find this coin in choice grade, without "almost unc, nearly unc" , "spots that barely distract" etc. There can be a big difference between UNC and UNC. None of the Halfcrowns you've mentioned from LC sales are  BU, IMO.

20 minutes ago, azda said:

But did it sell for £1100 as Spink suggests it should? in fact have you seen ANY sell for a Spink quoted price, this was where I jumped in at stating that SPINK BOOK PRICE IS A GUIDE and not what should be used as advice for a bid OR MARKETING TREND

Now we are finally in full agreement!!!

If the coin was already choice why would'nt it have already sold for near Spink? Geez

16 minutes ago, mike said:

None of the Halfcrowns you've mentioned from LC sales are  BU, IMO.

One mans grade may not be anothers. A 2 point difference on a TPG slab would NOT encourage me to part with an extra £700, check the TPG threads if you require grading arguments. As I stated, if a coin was BU and a dealer was selling for near Spinks book then why would it not have sold in auction for said same price? 

Or the other end of the scale, why should a dealer pay 50% for it to be able to push it out at Spink book?

Edited by azda

I just bought an upgrade MS64 1882 for about 500 pounds, and it was a nice specimen...

Anyway, the later Young Head 2/6 are overpriced IMO in Spink (1874-1887), even for nicer specimens; sometimes I think they just put an automatic ratchet on the prices of certain cons.

Anyway, Let Peace Reign gentleman.

Arnt spink prices for unc actually unc with 100% lustre. That would command a premium which is where people fall down with there prices. 

And this lovely specimen from Goldbergs graded as MS63 which is 1 point less than the eBay coin you mentioned Mike, which is for sale at over £1000 i might add, And so the MS63 sold for $525, which does add much kudos to my point of why would I pay another £700 for a point difference in grade, silly eh :rolleyes:

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=1875+halfcrown+&category=1-2&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1&currency=usd&thesaurus=1&order=0&company=

Thanks also for your input Vicky, I have been stating your same observation from the start of this topic, but Mike knows best. It's a debate and opinion Mike, no hard feelings ?

image.jpeg

Edited by azda