British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mynki

Sorry to bore you all again - grading

Not a boring question at all, Mynki - we all have to come to terms with the 'grading question'.

Now, I'm more or less a complete newbie but comparing the strike & detail remaining against Rob's similar 1852 Florin (www.rpcoins.co.uk), I'd say this was more EF / gEF, although I may be dead wrong! (There may, for instance, be known issues with the '49 that I'm unaware of which would influence the grade).

For what it's worth, I think it's a pretty coin (a little too 'busy' for my taste), but my eye keeps getting drawn to the scar on the obverse. I guess, as with most things, it's all subjective but that's my two penneth'.

It might just be eyes but the pictures look more like a drawing rather than a photo, maybe photoshop?

They look un - enhanced to me, it's a combination of how they've been lit along with how both your eyes and your monitor resolve such high magnification.

9 hours ago, Mynki said:

Can I ask your opinion on this coin :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-Florin-1849-Uncirculated-6377-/161943088766

What do you all think, grade wise?

Thanks in advance.

I'd go for GEF/UNC - disappointing carbon spot in the O of FLORIN.

Nice coin generally, though 

• Like 2

I would say UNC.

I'd also say it wasn't UNC. The Thistle on the REV has wear for a start plus the OBV has far too many contact marks.. GEF or slightly better for me.

I agree with Azda, too many contact marks on the obverse to call this coin UNC. For comparison I have attached picture of truly uncirculated piece.1849oo.jpg.51dee0763202a7455b26e3e47b3c6

Falling clearly short of UNC for me too! Bag marked and over exposed, preventing a good assessment of any lustre (if any)!

As stated above there are too many things going wrong.

Shame really...no cigar on this one.

Looks unc and is the best date, but it also requires sunglasses. It looks un-naturally bright.

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

Looks unc and is the best date, but it also requires sunglasses. It looks un-naturally bright.

Indeed, I'm thinking / hoping that's due to poor photography (not my pics) rather than being cleaned.

There seem to be so many of these about, that may have had a quick (or long) dip, the seller believing it will improve them / help them sell. To me it's just a warning sign when a 100+ year old silver coin is very bright and shows no toning (I happen to like natural toning)

Dippity dip on the last. I really like the first coin's reverse but as has been stated, lots of bag chatter on the obv. That would probably go 55 at the TPGs...

• Like 1

Haha, bag chatter, what great term for it :D 

Yes, bit of clanky conversation between the occupants! Never quite sure how this tends to concentrate on the obverse but guess the rims are not protecting...

Please note the lots of bags of Chatter on the obverse also as vicky mentions.

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up buying a different godless florin in the end.

6 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Hopefully when you get it slabbed it will be a good one.

It's already slabbed by CGS.@ 78 :) There's a pic in my other thread.

• Like 1

OK, first of all I don't own this coin, but I did take the pics. The red marks appear to be miniscule fibres. At the Wakefield coin fair, one of the official CGS grading chaps had a look and offered his unofficial opinion on grade, I have to stress he did say it needed to be scored by three graders and so this was only his opinion. Anyone care to guess the magic number he suggested?

1858%20Shilling%20obverse.jpg

1858%20Shilling%20reverse.jpg