British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mynki

1949 Godless florin

Hi,

Does anyone have one in UNC condition or better? Please PM me if so with details. Looking for UNC / CGS 78 / MS63 64 or better condition.

Thanks in advance.

Oh for gods sake!!!! :lol:

That's the second time I've made a 'typo' this week on here. Could someone kindly edit the thread title please?

Thanks for the heads up. :)

• Like 1

:D

Mynki, LCA have one graded CGS 78 @ £450

Here

Hi Nordle

I have actually seen that particular coin and so emailed London Coins about it. To date I have not had a reply, so I called earlier to be told they're not sure if they have it in stock and will call me next week to discuss....

I'm not entirely sure what to make of that to be honest.

Sounds like business as usual for them, I recently bought a coin from them and over a month later it was found listed in their next auction for sale.

Edited by Nordle11

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 6:29 PM, Nordle11 said:

Do you mean they didn't sell it you and it appeared in an auction? Or that you bought it, but they left it in their catalogue?

Sorry yes I bought it and received it and then they still listed it without checking their stock. I think it was Paulus who kindly informed me he'd seen it in the auction after I'd posted on here that I had purchased it. I did email them to say and they removed it but who knows how long it could have been listed before they noticed!

I actually have sympathy for them having been in the same position myself. Running a business with stock levels creates a  problem one way or another.

In my case, mark 1 website was basic with everything done manually - adding or removing items or invoicing required me to physically check the stock was there before I could risk sending out the payment request. Postage was calculated once the items were found and packed. If I forgot to remove something it would often be ordered at a later date only for me to pull my hair out looking for it. Its beauty lay in the complete flexibility permitted. To generate the payment link you only had to order something.

Mark 2 is a completely different beast. Because the platform allows for integrated stock and invoicing, I now have to get the stock levels right as it will not accept orders where stock level =0. I also have to weigh each item to enable the system to calculate postage. Of necessity those rates have to be simplified. It makes the admin easier, but you lose flexibility.

4 years ago I was asked to get a group of catalogues (~200) together for someone. This I dutifully did and wrote them down on a list. I lost the list and am still finding catalogues that I thought I should have but which went at the time. At one point I had two 1926 shillings listed. These sold within 24 hours of each other, but manual me only removed one of them yet still thought I had done both. Needless to say more orders came in for the listed piece.

It isn't as easy as you might think. It is like B&Q having 2 items in stock at location A. This doesn't consider the one left at checkout when the person decided they didn't want it, nor does it allow for the untidy customer who sticks it back in the shelf - somewhere.

8 hours ago, Rob said:

It isn't as easy as you might think. It is like B&Q having 2 items in stock at location A. This doesn't consider the one left at checkout when the person decided they didn't want it, nor does it allow for the untidy customer who sticks it back in the shelf - somewhere.

Hmmmm

I have a 'hobby' business selling through ebay across three ebay shops. In total we have around 1500 listings, with only a fraction of those being unique so I'm aware of potential issues as we've had our fair share ourselves as I'm sure you can appreciate.

That said, the coin in question is in my humble opinion a considered purchase, so I would at least have expected one employee to confirm that it was or is no longer in stock. There are plenty of ecommerce software packages out there which will monitor stock levels as long as they're updated accurately which can be purchased reasonably so really London Coins should have a more accurate view of what they have in stock. Leaving a coin in a catalogue is of course forgivable as details will have to be sent to the printers well in advance of the actual event and it makes no sense not to sell them if they have a willing buyer before the auction etc. .

Apparently I'll now have to wait for a lady to call me back next week as she's off this week. This doesn't strike me as potentially good business practise, in the meantime I may stumble across something similar and purchase that resulting in them losing a sale. In short it's difficult for me to have too much sympathy when there appear to be other employees working there, I actually had my debit card in hand when on the phone to them too.

1 hour ago, Mynki said:

Hmmmm

I have a 'hobby' business selling through ebay across three ebay shops. In total we have around 1500 listings, with only a fraction of those being unique so I'm aware of potential issues as we've had our fair share ourselves as I'm sure you can appreciate.

That said, the coin in question is in my humble opinion a considered purchase, so I would at least have expected one employee to confirm that it was or is no longer in stock. There are plenty of ecommerce software packages out there which will monitor stock levels as long as they're updated accurately which can be purchased reasonably so really London Coins should have a more accurate view of what they have in stock. Leaving a coin in a catalogue is of course forgivable as details will have to be sent to the printers well in advance of the actual event and it makes no sense not to sell them if they have a willing buyer before the auction etc. .

Apparently I'll now have to wait for a lady to call me back next week as she's off this week. This doesn't strike me as potentially good business practise, in the meantime I may stumble across something similar and purchase that resulting in them losing a sale. In short it's difficult for me to have too much sympathy when there appear to be other employees working there, I actually had my debit card in hand when on the phone to them too.

That will be the famous Semra then

I got this one from London Coins auction (December 2014)

1849_florin_03_ww_01_cgs_78_uin_2175_130

• Like 1

That's a great looking looking coin Paulus.

If you don't mind me askiing, did they have CGS grade it before offering it for sale?

1 hour ago, Mynki said:

That's a great looking looking coin Paulus.

If you don't mind me askiing, did they have CGS grade it before offering it for sale?

Yes, it's graded CGS 78 (UNC). It is UIN 2175 so it was graded quite a few years ago, not for that auction. And in all likelihood, not graded at the request of London Coins.

Edited by Paulus

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 0:22 PM, Paulus said:

That will be the famous Semra then

It was.

Spoke to her this morning, she was pleasasnt and helpful. So I too should also own a CGS78 1949. Should be here in a couple of days. :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mynki said:

It was.

Spoke to her this morning, she was pleasasnt and helpful. So I too should also own a CGS78 1949. Should be here in a couple of days. :) 

I guess you won't be too disappointed if you actually receive 1949 florin ... ???

2 minutes ago, Guest said:

I guess you won't be too disappointed if you actually receive 1949 florin ... ???

You do seem to be quite insistent that it is a 1949 @Mynki:P

How do guests manage to post without logging in with a username?

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

How do guests manage to post without logging in with a username?

I wondered that too, don't remember ever seeing that before the upgrade. Coinery managed to do it too I think, perhaps a glitch somewhere?

If you're not logged in it'll still let you post, it just assumes you're unregistered. The majority of other things it won't let you do however.

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 0:29 PM, Paulus said:

I got this one from London Coins auction (December 2014)

1849_florin_03_ww_01_cgs_78_uin_2175_130

I couldn't see any listed in the London Coins auction december 2014! Is this correct?