British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

GateGateGo

Photography 101

So, having shot all my coins thus far by camera 'phone in shoddy light conditions & with flash, I grabbed a two minute window today & re - shot my 1928 Half Crown in natural light only. The results can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128616359@N08/

To me, this is a much more representative account of how the coin looks 'in hand' and I intend to follow suit for all my coins when time / daylight permit, using my Nikon D3200. Obviously, the surface scratching isn't really visible without artificial light, contrast & ludicrous levels of magnification, but what are your opinions? Is this approach honest (as I believe it to be)? How do you shoot your coins?

I'm pretty sure that even Emma Stone (hands off, she's mine!) wouldn't look great with crap lighting & 50 X magnification, but what's the consensus here as to the 'correct' way to shoot?

Regards,

Frank

My current set-up is:

• Camera: Panasonic DMC-LX7
    • "The DMC-LX7 is equipped with a 24mm ultra wide-angle LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMILUX lens featuring outstanding F1.4 brightness at wide-end and F2.3 at tele-end. The extraordinarily rich amount of light allows not only using higher shutter speed for blur-free images in lower light situation, but also giving impressive expression by reproducing exquisite gradation and mellow defocus. The Nano Surface Coating is applied to minimise ghost and flaring."
  • Macro: On
  • Tripod: Yes, 8" from lens to coin
  • Lighting: Single desk lamp angled at 45 degrees at 2 o'clock to the subject. 6500K Daylight white bulb.
  • Flash: No
  • Zoom: 0.2 m
  • White Balance setting: Auto
  • Shutter on 2s timer
  • Pictures cropped in Paint.net

Example:

1936_hc_03_rp_coins_1000x500.png

I have also had good results in natural daylight, but you have to wait for the right conditions and the amount of light is variable. I much prefer being able to control the amount and angle of the light.

You may find this article useful:

http://coinimaging.com/photography.html

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 2

Thanks for that detailed breakdown Paulus, I've been trying to get some good pictures on my Canon and can't work out why they aren't very good. I have some ideas to try now and that picture is a stonker! Do you know if you get the same sort of results photographing bronze, or will the metal not make a difference?

• Like 1

Just to add - I do use daylight for my photos because I just can't get the lighting right from a controlled source, I think my problem is the bulb I'm using from reading your description. Do you get them from somewhere in particular or will the local DIY shop stock them as standard?

• Like 1

Hi Matt

Here's a bronze example using the same set up:

1910_1d_01_1000.pngp

I should have added, the background can be important, worth experimenting. I bought some different coloured crafty materials from the local Tescos (sheets of non-relective foam-like material. Depending on the tone of the coin you are photograhing, lighter or darker backgrounds may work best.

The key to the bulb is that you get best results with daylight white - the local DID store should stock them, I got mine on-line. Often bulbs are 'warm white', giving a yellow hue, which in theory can be corrected using the white balance settings on the camera (if you have them), or post production, but I have had far better results with daylight white bulbs. Thanks to Stuart (Coinery on here) for that tip (he even sent me some!) :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, Paul - just what I'm after & much appreciated! Those pics of yours are epic!

Let's be seeing some of your daylight shots, Matt - don't be coy ;)

Thanks for the sample Paul, and also the tips on backgrounds, that hadn't even occurred to me except from an aesthetic point of view! 

I'll have a look next week in the DIY places near me but failing that I'll probably check online, I'll make sure that they're daylight white in that case. I always prefer keeping the pictures as taken, not necessarily for a true picture but more so that I don't have to spend the time changing each one! Just me being lazy haha :)

Frank, just realised the signatures are no longer showing up! My site's normally under my posts - www.mypennycollection.wordpress.com

Despite the website name, last weekend I added all the 50ps that I collected when I first started out, the Olympic series is what got me into coin collecting in the first place! Didn't feel it was worth starting another Wordpress just for them. Looking forward to getting the 50ps with the new bust too :) 

• Like 1

My first attempt at Flickr and one of my first attempts at photographing a coin

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29132520@N02/?

• Like 2

Paulus

Congrats on your pictures.:)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IanB said:

My first attempt at Flickr and one of my first attempts at photographing a coin

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29132520@N02/?

Really nice capture Ian, considering that's your first attempt as well!

Matt, those shots are pretty good, I reckon - particularly if, like me, you've struggled to get the right conditions. I (kinda) started collecting via current coinage, too - actually, it was through buying bullion coins to 'stack' which led me to the moderns and, after only a couple of months, to predecimal.

That's a damn sight better than my first attempt was, Ian - are you starting with George VI? I reckon there's some good value to be had there.

Paul, your photos are bang on, I reckon. As for your collection, well... *unbridled envy*

• Like 1

On 9/1/2016 at 8:36 PM, Paulus said:

Hi Matt

Here's a bronze example using the same set up:

I should have added, the background can be important, worth experimenting. I bought some different coloured crafty materials from the local Tescos (sheets of non-relective foam-like material. Depending on the tone of the coin you are photograhing, lighter or darker backgrounds may work best.

The key to the bulb is that you get best results with daylight white - the local DID store should stock them, I got mine on-line. Often bulbs are 'warm white', giving a yellow hue, which in theory can be corrected using the white balance settings on the camera (if you have them), or post production, but I have had far better results with daylight white bulbs. Thanks to Stuart (Coinery on here) for that tip (he even sent me some!) :)

Paul, do you use a bulb that lights the room (one that spreads out if that make sense) or like a spot-light type deal that you can point towards the coin? I'm looking at a couple online now but I don't know what would work better..

2 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Hi Matt, it's a simple cheap desk lamp like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lloytron-L961BK-Flexi-Desk-Black/dp/B002TLC3EY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1452511686&sr=8-7&keywords=desk+lamp

The rest of the room is lit by daylight through the windows, or a ceiling lamp, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Hope that helps :)

That's exactly what I needed, thanks :) 

I posted this elsewhere but, on the advice of Paulus, this is probably a more logical place to post it. I have been messing around with my lighting rig and wanted to show you the difference between my old set up and the new on the first coin I purchased, what do you think @Nordle11@GateGateGo@Peter? Would you believe it is the same coin?:

joined.thumb.jpg.1aa2e49b76e4160b5adf9ef

It's obviously the same coin as it has the same surface marks, but the colour is an improvement.

PS. Why does everyone have to be addressed as @ when they already have a username which is sufficient to find them? Damned fashionable trends. Indifferent emoticon required here.

Yes a really nice improvement on the colour as Rob says. Are you also using the daylight bulbs Paulus mentioned?

Also the reason for the @ is because it gives you a notification to say someone has mentioned you, to save missing the post if it is directed towards you (like I did when bagerap posted). 

Use natural daylight and highest makro settings.

image.jpeg

Both images taken with an old Olympus 7.1mp camera with no tripods or extra lighting just a steady hand and daylight

image.jpeg

Edited by azda

Yes NordIe have been using a daylight LED lamp and a Nikon COOLPIX L120 14MP Digital Bridge Camera on a tripod with Macro on. The camera is about 8 to 12 inches from the coin. I struggle to find time in the day when I can use natural daylight due to work and the kids :) This may change as the days get longer again!

Edited by Nonmortuus

3 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Yes NordIe have been using a daylight LED lamp and a Nikon COOLPIX L120 14MP Digital Bridge Camera on a tripod with Macro on. The camera is about 8 to 12 inches from the coin. I struggle to find time in the day when I can use natural daylight due to work and the kids :)

Very nice setup. This is the problem I have too (work, not the kids) and our street is fairly narrow so there's only a couple of hours when I get 'great' light for taking photos. So it's not necessary to use a macro lens, just turning up the macro settings with a normal lens?

No Macro lens as yet. I just turn on the in built marco setting and try to ensure that the coin takes up as much of the view screen as possible while leaving just a little bit of wiggle room so I can straighten the coin when editing it, cropping it down and joining two pictures.

I spent 3 or 4 hours the other night playing with the angle of the lamp and found that having it pretty much directly above the coin bought out the most toning and depth/ It is still a work in progress and once I do have some free time and natural daylight to play with I will retake a few and see how they compare.

• Like 1

Non

I love the improvement.Daylight bulbs look the way to go until Spring.My hands are not as steady as Dave's despite going on the wagon in 2016.

I'm going to save myself for a couple of Cubans and malt for the balmy Summer evenings.B)