British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
pies

Seeing private messages

Hi Chris, i can still see private messages between other members which i dont think i should

Pies, I think what you're seeing is the messages left on someone's 'feed' and not the actual private messages. I've just sent you one as a test, try and find it somewhere that isn't in your private messages.

Yep its defo the feed but i thought that was like a PM, or am i now confused:)

I just sent you another message, I did the exact same thing then edited out my post to say 'Don't worry' in the New Forum thread haha :)

I've just checked All Activity and I also see what looks like a pm between two members.  Confusing.

Chris?

Check the above Richard :rolleyes:

I guess members need to be more alert to where they are posting then!

Indeed, there have been a couple of messages I have seen that I don't think were intended for the wider public. Perhaps it may be prudent to add a small note near the message box to say it will be viewable by all? (If that's possible)

15 hours ago, TomGoodheart said:

I've just checked All Activity and I also see what looks like a pm between two members.  Confusing.

Chris?

Tom, I've just sent you what I believe to be an actual private message as a test - I clicked the "message" box. It doesn't appear on your feed.    

Yes. That worked!

• Like 1

I've just had a conversation with secret santa that appears in my feed. This was not received as a message, but something else. In fact it doesn't appear in my messages at all even though it was intended as a private communication. How was it sent?

Edited to say that it appears as a conversation when added to your feed. You can access a member via the online user list, then at the top of the activity is a box to add to someone's feed. This is not the same as a PM which should be accessed via the message button above this. I think this is why some things appear to be in the public domain and others not.

Edited by Rob

18 hours ago, Rob said:

I've just had a conversation with secret santa that appears in my feed. This was not received as a message, but something else. In fact it doesn't appear in my messages at all even though it was intended as a private communication. How was it sent?

Edited to say that it appears as a conversation when added to your feed. You can access a member via the online user list, then at the top of the activity is a box to add to someone's feed. This is not the same as a PM which should be accessed via the message button above this. I think this is why some things appear to be in the public domain and others not.

This is correct. It is a 'feature' of many online forums.

People should ensure they select 'private' message if they don't want the world reading what they write!

I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Why would anyone want to add to another person's feed other than for mischievous reasons? You aren't replying to a post and it isn't private. Odd.

Somewhere I've seen a whole list emerge of who liked my posts - this is under the new forum arrangements - but can I remember how I saw it? Can I hell.

ETA: Found it - just me being a thickie :ph34r: 

Edited by 1949threepence

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Why would anyone want to add to another person's feed other than for mischievous reasons? You aren't replying to a post and it isn't private. Odd.

I think the idea of the feed is a sort of halfway house between a totally private message and a normal post on the forum. It's obviously still between you and the person you are communicating with, but is available for all to see if they click on your profile. Maybe an item that might be of common interest, which you could refer to on the forum, possibly in a topic related thread, viewable by all. 

A totally private message is sent by clicking on the dark blue "message" bar at the top of the page, which you see when you click on someone else's profile, and will send a totally private message to that individual - unviewable to all except you and that person. Obviously you can't see the message bar on your own profile as you won't be sending a private message to yourself.  

Edited by 1949threepence

I think you're right there, it's probably also a feature better used on forums of a different nature - because it's a pre defined layout that comes with whoever provides the forum it's there when you buy it from them. As above, there should probably be a warning message saying its viewable by all!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

I think you're right there, it's probably also a feature better used on forums of a different nature - because it's a pre defined layout that comes with whoever provides the forum it's there when you buy it from them. As above, there should probably be a warning message saying its viewable by all!

It's obviously (and understandably) causing confusion, so hopefully it will be better signposted in the near future so that the difference between the two functions is crystal clear and hits you in the eye as soon as you see them.