British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
richtips86

New Year, what new coin would you most like?

28 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Well, I checked all 35 of my 1965 sixpences and not a single one has the 'I' to gap. Sorry :(

Thanks for trying, but as I said I'm not surprised. Finding the more difficult 1964 took me some time to achieve, but the 1965 is proving very hard.

2 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Thanks for trying, but as I said I'm not surprised. Finding the more difficult 1964 took me some time to achieve, but the 1965 is proving very hard.

I found 2 of the 1964s in the same 2000. Again, not easy.

• Like 1

There are several of the rarer varieties I'd like, but my main aim at the moment is a really decent Freeman 1 - I believe there's one coming up in the March LCA.  

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I found 2 of the 1964s in the same 2000. Again, not easy.

I have 39 of the 1964 sixpence. 38 of them have the 'I' slightly to the left of the bead. One has the 'I" on the bead.

Again many gaps/upgrades - if I'm keeping it realistic, a 1643 Oxford Crown S2947, a Durham House groat and an Ethelbert 1d.  2 of the 3 would represent a good year.  

On 1 January 2016 at 0:27 AM, DaveG38 said:

There are loads of gaps that need filling in all denominations, but one specific very basic mundane, ordinary but difficult to find variety would be nice, and that is a 1965 sixpence with the 'I' of 'REGINA' to a gap. You wouldn't believe how difficult to find this type is. I've got both types of 1964 but not 1965, and I have been looking for about 15 years, so this would be nice to find in 2016. And very likely inexpensive - I'm a very cheap tart to run. No gothics or Una and the Lions for me.

I've only found 1 of the rare 1965 varieties in around 15 years, a very difficult variety to find. I still check each one I come across. 

I'd have to choose the 1847 Sixpence for my coin of the year. Believed to be unique, it came up in auction a few years back and I didn't bid believing it would sell for way over my budget. When I checked the results, it sold for less than what I would have bid :(  . . although I don't know what the winning bidder would have topped out at, I might have won it.  I learnt my lesson. 

• Like 1

My hopes are all pennies - but my oh my still many. But heres my list:

1868 to 1873

1877 to 1885

1915 and 1916

All in Unc condition.

That is 19 coins what an ask will be chuffed if i get 10 this year.

9 hours ago, hazelman said:

1868 to 1873

1877 to 1885

1915 and 1916

All in Unc condition.

I wish I'd known this a couple of months ago. I could have let you have an 1873 unc - I had upgraded to BU. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, just.me said:

I'd have to choose the 1847 Sixpence for my coin of the year. Believed to be unique, it came up in auction a few years back and I didn't bid believing it would sell for way over my budget. When I checked the results, it sold for less than what I would have bid :(  . . although I don't know what the winning bidder would have topped out at, I might have won it.  I learnt my lesson. 

Oh, do you remember what auction? I remember it being listed as unconfirmed and assumed it hadn't surfaced since it first appeared in 1973.

Yes, believe it was DNW by recall. Rob is the man for this sort of thing - even though my area! I can assure you that the price would have been multiples if the buyer was challenged (not me).

Hm, searching the DNW archive returns nothing, hopefully someone else knows for sure.

46 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Hm, searching the DNW archive returns nothing, hopefully someone else knows for sure.

It was DNW. Lot number 1773 Auction 29/09/10

I was unsure if the coin was genuine but Peter Davies assured me he believed it was. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I can assure you that the price would have been multiples if the buyer was challenged (not me).

I agree, it sold for £850 +commission, which for a unique date is an excellent buy, if it was a unique dated Penny, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at what that would reach. The estimate was only £300-£400.

2 hours ago, just.me said:

It was DNW. Lot number 1773 Auction 29/09/10

Ah thanks - search failed because the word 'sixpence' doesn't appear anywhere in the description...

Hard to say anyway - the 7 seems higher than the 7 on 1848/7 overdates (https://www.noble.com.au/auctions/lot/?id=348628&i=2&ret=1 image two or http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-BRITAIN-RARE-QUEEN-VICTORIA-SILVER-SIXPENCE-1848-7-OVERDATE-/201462017575?hash=item2ee8126e27%3Ag%3AyC8AAOSwo6lWO4JG&nma=true&si=gwvOxw5gErliYmxltoHXSob%252ByIo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 for example).

That's because Bole's collection was all sixpences.

11 hours ago, Mr T said:

Actually that's probably not terribly conclusive - the last two digits were probably hand stamped and there was probably more than one die produced.

A couple of 1933 pennies would be fab.

Hazel I have a 1863 penny that I may want to flog. Its UNC in my opinion but quite conservatively graded PCGS MS 62 RB.

Drop me a PM if you are interested with an offer.

On 02/01/2016 at 1:52 PM, hazelman said:

1868 to 1873

1877 to 1885

1915 and 1916

All in Unc condition.

I also have a 1865 for sale. I can send pics.