British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
George111

Interesting metal detecting finds

I would say die pressed too, and as before the rococco design suggests a late Georgian or Victorian date. A nice find, I presume as it contalned cork remnants, the cap of some sort of stopper, perhaps from a vanity set, eg a scent bottle. 

Jerry

I think you are right about it being the lid of some sort of stopper, however I reckon it was chased by hand using small punches. The metal would have been domed in a block then filled with pitch to support it and someone would have quickly chased the design into the metal, probably taken about 15mins to do.

6 hours ago, IanB said:

I think you are right about it being the lid of some sort of stopper, however I reckon it was chased by hand using small punches. The metal would have been domed in a block then filled with pitch to support it and someone would have quickly chased the design into the metal, probably taken about 15mins to do.

I think you are right. This dealer has a lot of these scent bottles for sale, very similar tops.

http://www.bryandouglas.co.uk/silverware/scent_bottles/scent_bottles.htm

Jerry

I have to agree it does seem to be very likely Victorian vanity/gentleman's bottle type "flip top" lid and the bit missing may of had a hinge attached like a ink bottle lid it just looks so hand made must of been a very expensive press die seeing its such a complicated looking design  

Not been out much lately found these two really don't know what they are.

Maybe horse harness mounts they are made of lead

001 (640x480).jpg

Hiya,

Possibly hand cut curtain weights, my Grandma used to use similar shaped bits of lead.

What would the "saw" looking lines be needed for if being used as a weight sewn into hem of curtain?

I have certainly seen lead hem weights, but with two holes, like large buttons, to sew through. And I agree, why the serrations? Do they both have only one hole? If two, I would have thought them to be childs 'whizzers', the musical toy that was spun on string and made a noise.  With only one hole, they must have been nailed to something, or maybe spun like a top with a nail. Bit of a puzzle, quite honestly.

Jerry

Not a hole it does not seem to go all the way through could be "bunged up" though I know what your on about whirly gig toy but the marks on my 2 don't look like whirly gig tooth shaped

001 (640x480).jpg

Perhaps they are some kind of farmers token?

That's  if they had any tokens this size?