British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
George111

Interesting metal detecting finds

An incomplete copper alloy locking buckle minus the locking handle of Roman/Medieval period

012 (640x480).jpg

Possibly a Roman "Hob nail"  1st-4th century

002 (640x480).jpg

On 10 January 2016 at 3:50 PM, George111 said:

Not got a clue what this might be or age ? scewer handle? fork/knife handle ?

002 (640x480).jpg

003 (640x480).jpg

I know nothing about these things, but the first thought that came into my head was bottle stopper? Either used as it is, to stop insects from entering, or maybe even more functional if little holed discs of leather were passed over the lump at the end to form a cylindrical tube of leather, much like you'd thread on a tap washer?

Edited by Coinery

10 hours ago, George111 said:

An incomplete copper alloy locking buckle minus the locking handle of Roman/Medieval period

012 (640x480).jpg

Such a simple yet brilliant design that it remains unchanged today!

8 hours ago, Coinery said:

I know nothing about these things, but the first thought that came into my head was bottle stopper? Either used as it is, to stop insects from entering, or maybe even more functional if little holed discs of leather were passed over the lump at the end to form a cylindrical tube of leather, much like you'd thread on a tap washer?

I think its more likely to be similar to these because something was attached but was snapped off

http://www.ottomanimports.com.au/?i=1254/kebab-skewers-barbecue-or-grill-40-for-a-set-of-6-new-stocks-in

8 hours ago, Coinery said:

Such a simple yet brilliant design that it remains unchanged today!

Don't fix want an't broke LOL

Don't know what a ram/sheep's head has to do with wine, I was thinking more lamb kibab's

Barrel tap key to stop the farm labourers from nicking the Zider 

023 (640x480).jpg

Bit of a "none runner" LOL toy lead horse cant know what age but the leads got high amount of lead sulphate deposit

maybe the saddle ect is of its period roman, medieval, relatively modern  who knows

019 (640x480).jpg

Probably post medieval child's or very small woman's double barley twist ring maybe had glass stones decorating it,

barely fits on the tip of my pinky finger  it was once gold gilt as I can still see small bits of gilt that remain. 

028 (640x480).jpg

027 (640x480).jpg

Post medieval 1800-1900 "buckle" ring was possibly gold gilt slightly larger than the last ring

029 (640x480).jpg

Another buckle ring bit of a basic pattern on it and is smaller than the other and looks older

031 (640x480) (2).jpg

031 (640x480).jpg

Blacksmiths "cut off" anvil tool looks old but don't know what age it could be   

005 (640x480).jpg

004 (640x480).jpg

I know its not metal LOL but I had a signal from a metallic object so dug it out and this fell out the soil with the rusty nail :)

Flint Thumb/End Scraper of the Neolithic period dating from 4000-2000 BCE so anywhere between 4000-6000 yrs old :)

329.jpg

328.jpg

Silver gilt livery button post medieval I think, maybe a family emblem 

014 (640x480).jpg

Post medieval horse harness mount looks like the owners initials engraved into it, it looks like JB or TB

016 (640x480).jpg

Edited by George111

I thinks it supposed to be a George III half penny all detail has been rubbed/smoothed off but has a interesting stamp mark maybe a company promo or freebe ?

011 (640x480).jpg

Think this is too oval in shape to be a shield boss so probably another post medieval horse harness decoration

011 (640x480).jpg

012 (640x480).jpg

• Like 1

Lead sewing palm guard/thimble probably post medieval 1600-1700

015 (640x480).jpg

Lead trade weight cant see any impressed stamp marks so possibly lost before they were added could date anywhere

between 1400-1700

024 (640x480).jpg

025 (640x480).jpg