British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
George111

Interesting metal detecting finds

Probably a fertility symble maybe the pot was given as a wedding gift

Nice easy going thread! Can't wait for the day that I can contribute with a find or two of my own! :)

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 3:34 PM, George111 said:

Found this Yestuday from another permission I've got I think it maybe a "block anvil" maybe used to make fine jewellry ect

Its made of solid brass and the green patina goes right into all the divits and chips knocked off it

the cast hole possibly used to "dish" the object being made its about 2" square and 1" deep

Wont say how old because I always seem to be wrong LOL but the patina may make it quite old

001 (640x480).jpg

002 (640x480).jpg

Bristol museum finds officer said he's never seen anything like it and can't find any recording's of one so has taken it to investigate further, could be unique :) 

Deffo bronze and used by silver smith to make fine jewellery there is evidence of specks of silver impregnated into the bronze  

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 4:18 PM, George111 said:

Found this yesterday

I think it could be a horse bridal decoration maybe medieval? missing a glass or agate stone centre piece its gold gilt and looks enameled

its got a flat metal bit on the back which may of clipped onto/behind the leather straps? tip to toe its about 2 1/2 inch's

005 (640x480).jpg

010 (640x480).jpg

Seems very likely this is an Epaulet probably Victorian

4 hours ago, Coinery said:

Nice easy going thread! Can't wait for the day that I can contribute with a find or two of my own! :)

Its a bit like carp fishing when your buzzer goes off you don't what it is till you get it out (dirt fishing)

18 hours ago, George111 said:

Roman lead sling shot

006 (640x480).jpg

Seriously!

Post medieval lead Whirligig "musical toy" 1600-1800

001 (640x480).jpg

I vaguely remember something like this as a kid, a big loop of string was passed through the two holes, held by a finger at each end. It was spun, and by alternately stretching and slackening the cord, it could be made to spin first one way, then the other, emitting a whistling noise when rotating. I cant remember if mine was lead, but it did need to be fairly heavy material to provide momentum.

Had my first hammies of the year today, a very worn Lizzie halfgroat and an early C17 copper farthing.

Jerry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

I vaguely remember something like this as a kid, a big loop of string was passed through the two holes, held by a finger at each end. It was spun, and by alternately stretching and slackening the cord, it could be made to spin first one way, then the other, emitting a whistling noise when rotating. I cant remember if mine was lead, but it did need to be fairly heavy material to provide momentum.

Had my first hammies of the year today, a very worn Lizzie halfgroat and an early C17 copper farthing.

Jerry

Lead alloy whirligig or buzz disc, which has been cut from lead sheeting. The buzz disc is circular in plan and has a shape serrated edge. In the centre are two pinched off-centre holes, through which a looped string or cord would have been threaded.
The spinning disc would have produced a whirring noise when the tension was relaxed by pulling the hands apart

Barrel tap and valve 18th to 19th century

009 (640x480).jpg

008 (640x480).jpg

• Like 1

These could be post medieval thimbles I've not really looked into it tbh, the larger of the 2 can just about fit on my little finger the other barely fits on the tip of it

026 (640x480).jpg

Nice thimbles, I would place them both late C18 to early C19. The left hand one is quite unusual.

Jerry

Must e a childs it barely fits on the tip of my pinky

14th century scabbard chafe (Dagger end cap)

014 (640x480).jpg

Very nice, I've only ever found one of those.

Horse harness mount post medieval I would think, its minus the loop/hook at the top which held onto the harness

010 (640x480).jpg

I know its a coin well token really but very emotive because of where its from and the date plus it may of been a love token for their safe return :)

020 (640x480).jpg

022 (640x480).jpg

I think this is another horse harness mount probably post medieval minus a simular loop as the other I presume

011 (640x480).jpg

Not got a clue what this might be or age ? scewer handle? fork/knife handle ?

002 (640x480).jpg

003 (640x480).jpg

Looks likely, George.

Like the crotal bell. They are very scarce on our side of the Severn. I have I think two from my 30 years hunting.

Jerry

Rein guide ring probably off a shire horse's ploughing harness 18th-20th century

013 (640x480).jpg

Cone shaped lead weight probably for loom weight or fishing cast net weight could be roman/medieval ? 

007 (640x480).jpg

Edited by George111