British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

secret santa

No signature function ?

The signature function seems to have disappeared ? I have added my website URL to my personal settings but it doesn't appear whenever I add a post and the old way of adding it to my signature isn't there unless I've missed it.

No you're right, it's gone. I did outline some problems/issues with the new site in the thread that Chris started but I just think he hasn't had time to work out the niggly bits from the change yet.

I have re-enabled signatures (they seemed to be off in the upgrade) and note that some people seem to have their old ones back again.

I'm afraid others (inc me) may have to add them again manually.

Good news! Mine and a few others seem to have been imported automatically without re-adding them so fingers crossed its just done it for all!

So you're an Admin now Matt?

Stand by for some questions / enhancement requests! :D

I've dabbled at forum maintenance before, fire away it'll be good practice haha :P

OK, here's the first question:

Permissions and thresholds for edit your own posts

Newbies are often a bit frustrated that they cannot edit their posts, even a minute after posting, just to correct typos etc.

I believe this improves after a certain number of posts, and maybe improves still further after even more?

One such newbie has just been voicing his frustration with me (privately)

What is the purpose of enforcing such restrictions? Do you know what the thresholds are? Can they be eased?

• Like 1

By the nature of the provider of the forum, the guest group cannot edit their posts and there is no ability to change this setting. This is normally the case though, I don't know why it's setup this way but maybe it's just the standard across the board for all forum providers.

Maybe an extra incentive to sign up?

I do know the thresholds, I don't know why they are set the way they are though but they can be changed. I don't want to go changing anything just yet though haha.

I'll have a chat with Chris about what he minds and doesn't mind me changing, he might have reasons for certain things.

3 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

By the nature of the provider of the forum, the guest group cannot edit their posts and there is no ability to change this setting. This is normally the case though, I don't know why it's setup this way but maybe it's just the standard across the board for all forum providers.

Maybe an extra incentive to sign up?

I don't mean for guests, I mean for newly signed up users, who are signed in when they post

Just now, Nordle11 said:

I do know the thresholds, I don't know why they are set the way they are though but they can be changed. I don't want to go changing anything just yet though haha.

I'll have a chat with Chris about what he minds and doesn't mind me changing, he might have reasons for certain things.

Thanks Matt :)

17 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Thanks Matt :)

Nope, he's got no qualms about it. The new guys have 10 minutes to edit now, that should be plenty?

I should think so, are there further thresholds depending on the number of posts?

4 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I should think so, are there further thresholds depending on the number of posts?

All the Numismatic Research Group members have 2 hours to edit.

1 minute ago, Nordle11 said:

All the Numismatic Research Group members have 2 hours to edit.

Thanks for sorting that out Matt :)

No worries! :) it's good practice trying to sort something out as opposed to just mindlessly browsing the functions.

Next question (and last one for now!)

When someone likes a post, the poster gets a notification that 'someone' likes it, and the post shows with n number of likes. Is it possible that the notification can say who has liked it, and the post can list names (a-la Facebook)? 

• Like 1

Yeah I was looking for that at the moment because that was a useful function before. If I can I will change it I will, in the meantime if you visit your own profile page when you get a like it shows who made the like.

Edited by Nordle11

I think it's done now, I just liked your previous post have a look and let me know ;) 

Just now, Nordle11 said:

I think it's done now, I just liked your previous post have a look and let me know ;) 

Yey you've done it already, top admining!

:D thank you kind sir.

I'll look through some of the other things in new forum thread while I'm waiting for the second session of the snooker masters finals to come on ;) 

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

:D thank you kind sir.

I'll look through some of the other things in new forum thread while I'm waiting for the second session of the snooker masters finals to come on ;) 

Congratulations on your new role, Matt - well deserved :)  

• Like 1

Is 'no signature' a significant problem given we know the person concerned from their id and avatar? Surely a link to somewhere could be incorporated into a member's profile rather than cluttering up the post?

Another techie question regarding the new forum software. Previously we could upload 500kb pictures per post but that now seems to have changed to 500kb per thread, so if I've uploaded a picture into a thread at max 500kb i couldn't add another picture again into that Thread, why has this changed?