British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
MACKSILKY.

Odd 1862 penny obverse ?

Hi guy's can anyone see anything strange with this 1862 penny. Don't know whats gone on with the ribbon and at the back of vics neck where the space is. Any idea's.

cheers jim.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like severe (multiple) die clashing to me, often seen on earlier bun pennies though rarely to this degree.

Jerry

Here is one of my 1862 Pennies with some of the same Die Clash. Not as extreme as yours though.

Coin - Victoria 1862 forum.jpg

• Like 1

Thank's brian, looks like vic's got a new wig ?. Dose anyone else have a similar die clash like mine or brians.

Regards jim.

Mack, This is not just like your die clash, but something has started to happen on this one. Maybe earlier in the minting cycle?

All the Best

Bob

On the Web at:     www.RLCcoins.com
On Facebook at:   RLC Coins

IMG_7421.JPG

• Like 1

Hi guys

Any chance of explaining what exactly is die clashing and why is it it happening only at this place on the coin and not on other parts?

Thanks

Hi Ian, a die clash is where the dies attempt to strike when there is no planchet present. Invariably it will be the highest points on both dies that hit first and this is why the clash is where is is. 

Thank you once again Nordle for pointing me in the right direction.

Happy New Year to you 

Another one chaps i've come across, this one a bit between mine and brians. Note the position of the die clash and the ribbons.

This one also has a very weak low colon dot between F and D. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1