British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi All. I have recently acquired a 1601 Pledge Pattern Penny. It is the extremely rare copper version, BMC 4. It has what appears to be slight traces of red wax on it, therefore I am thinking that it may possibly have been in a auction catalogue previously? As far as I have found, there were 6 specimens recorded (3 of which are apparently in museums) and off the top of my head I think I saw one for sale by baldwins or similar which was described as a 7th example. It would be nice if the coin were one the original 6 and would be great if I could trace some sort of provenance. Does anyone have any auction references to the sale of a copper example? I know that it has not traded hands in many years so would presumably be from a fair few years ago. Any help would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

One sold by Colin Cooke in the Alderley collection, It is online at the website

Hi Chingford, it is not the Alderley example, I am assuming it would have been sold many years prior to that one.

If anyone does have the realised prices for the Alderley sale however, it would be interesting to see what it made against an estimate of £5000-£6000

It didn't sell at that auction, Neil Paisley sometimes reads the boards and maybe able to let you have some of the details of any subsequent sale

The three examples listed in Peck that weren't in a museum were the Lockett coin, which GC got from Slaney, and the other two were listed as in the Brooks and in Peck's own collection. The Alderley example was listed as ex Brooks and Peck, so the waters are somewhat muddied. If not the Alderley one, it would need a picture because you can't be certain that those are the only 6. He listed the pieces he saw, but that is rarely a full list.

The Slaney coin is given as ex Brice, Montagu, Murdoch, Manton & Lockett. The Alderley as ex Brice, Montagu, Peck, Brooks, Noble and Entwistle. See where I'm coming from?

Hi Rob, I see what you mean when you say that the waters are somewhat muddied! I think it may prove difficult to trace it if it is one of the originals mentioned in Peck. I fully expect that there may be examples that Peck did not view so it could be an extra example. Does anyone know where I could find a picture of the Slaney coin?

20 minutes ago, loose54 said:

Hi Rob, I see what you mean when you say that the waters are somewhat muddied! I think it may prove difficult to trace it if it is one of the originals mentioned in Peck. I fully expect that there may be examples that Peck did not view so it could be an extra example. Does anyone know where I could find a picture of the Slaney coin?

GC posted it on a thread on this forum. http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/6147-a-love-of-impossible-reality-excited-an-incredible-a-dream/#comment-56642