British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
IanB

How important is a serif

I have a 1855 half penny that has some serifs missing on the I in BRITANNIAR. The top one looks like there is a dent on the upright with perhaps the smallest trace of a serif, the bottom one is just not there.

Is this a fault in stamping or can serifs just break off over time?

Does a missing serif make it rare?Missing serif.pdf

Serifs won't break off but it is probably a result of die fill, crud gets inside that part of the die and then becomes flush with the die itself, rendering what you have there. 

As a variety, it could be one and some do command a premium, but the copper boys will be better suited to comment on that. 

Nice little error though :)

Thank you Nordle, that makes a lot of sense. I guess whenever machinery is involved in any form of production then small bits of dirt and grease will find its way onto the item no matter how clean they try to be