British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Chris Perkins

New Forum 23/12/2015

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

It is a bit. Not sure why a complete notification opt out isn't available. Maybe Chris can tell us. Might just be the way the software has been built.    

It's an extra job but if all else fails you can always setup a rule in your email account to forward all emails from the site to a specific folder, and not show every email in your inbox. 

I imagine that things will be changed/ironed out as the feedback rolls in. 

11 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

It's an extra job but if all else fails you can always setup a rule in your email account to forward all emails from the site to a specific folder, and not show every email in your inbox. 

I imagine that things will be changed/ironed out as the feedback rolls in. 

Good thinking :)

I've just tried the forum on my tablet (2013 nexus 7) and it's fine. But on there, I did get a little pop up window asking me if I wanted to allow or block browser notifications, so I clicked block, and now under notification settings, I've got a red box with a white cross in it saying "browser notifications disabled". Of course, this will also apply to private messages, si I may change back.  

I put a cross in every possible box. We will see what happens.

Have we lost all of the people we had in our friend list too? It looks like you now have to follow people :wacko: 

Sorry, don't worry about this post

Edited by Nordle11

Another think I've noticed Chris is that when clicking on unread thread I'm taken to the first post whereas previously I went straight to the last page of the thread (ie the first 'unread' post.

Oh, and I messaged you a couple of times but had no reply.  Of course, you might be busy ... 

I haven't been / am not around much these days, but if you want my opinion :

1. it looks good - I think the appearance is better 
  2. I'm seriously bothered by what people say about not being taken to the latest unread POST within a topic. Is there an equivalent of the former 'View New Content', which unlike 'Unread Content', was to do with unread POSTS not merely unread TOPICS?
  3. What happened to the old link that took us to the main predecimal site?? Once in the Forums, there's no way out! 'Home' only keeps you in the Forums. 
  4. I haven't tried uploading any pictures within a topic - are thumbnails now a useful size instead of the tiny little useless things they were before?

That's it for now, If I see anything else I'll let you know!

On 23/12/2015 at 2:21 PM, 1949threepence said:

Can't see a member's list under this new set up.

Found a workaround - if you click on the search bar and then change 'All Content' to 'Members', you can then just search without anything written in the box and it brings up every member. Then you can sort by Join Date, Post Count, Name or Reputation, just as you could before.

One problem is that if you click on next page or a different page number, it treats it as a new search and you get blocked by the flood control for 15 seconds. It still works, just takes a bit longer navigating the usual.

Just playing around with it, it seems that if you first sort by something like 'Post Count' and then click page 2, it goes to page 2 but defaults back to sorting it by 'Name'. Then when you try and sort it again by 'Post Count' you just get diverted back to page 1 again.

Another workaround for that, you can go through the pages after sorting - by changing the page number in the actual URL itself, but you can't do it by using the buttons.

On 12/30/2015 at 2:40 PM, Nordle11 said:

Just playing around with it, it seems that if you first sort by something like 'Post Count' and then click page 2, it goes to page 2 but defaults back to sorting it by 'Name'. Then when you try and sort it again by 'Post Count' you just get diverted back to page 1 again.

Thanks Matt - that works to a point, but when you click "sort by", then they just come up with "Sorry there is a problem, please wait 2 seconds". Says this repeatedly.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Thanks Matt - that works to a point, but when you click "sort by", then they just come up with "Sorry there is a problem, please wait 2 seconds". Says this repeatedly.

Hmm, strange one. I tried on both ipad and laptop and when I first sort I do get the flood control but after 15 seconds or so if I refresh the page it works ok. The timer does go down as well as opposed to staying on '..wait 2 seconds'.

There is no members search option on the phone version. 

I don't know if any of this is helping but I'm just posting whatever I notice. 

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 9:51 AM, Chris Perkins said:

The forum was upgraded last night. It seems to be up and working, but there are likely to be little things that will need perfecting. I'll also need to add some minimal advertising.

Please report here if you notice any issues.

So far the quotes don't seem to be showing up properly.

Sorry, not been around much lately. Happy New Year everyone. I will look closely at the new forum issues and see what I can do!

43 minutes ago, Chris Perkins said:

Sorry, not been around much lately. Happy New Year everyone. I will look closely at the new forum issues and see what I can do!

Thanks Chris, it would be nice to get the signatures back too, did you say the other day that that was being attended to?

I notice that the link to Steve's (Accumulator) penny collection has disappeared from his posts under the new regime. 

Signatures were apparently being re-built, but they don't seem to be back so I'm afraid we may have to manually put them in again (really sorry about that).

I'm going to make Nordle11 an administrator now, as he seems to be fixing the problems (or offering work arounds) before I get a change to even find the cause! 

I added a ‘Members’ section to the ‘Browse’ menu and lowered the search flood control limit a little for the regular posters so it's a bit quicker now.

With regards to the last post when you click on a thread with new posts that you haven’t seen, it seems like a known bug, other forums have built their own workarounds for this but there isn’t quick and easy fix :( 

• Like 1

Maybe one for you Matt.

I know it was mentioned on another post and had happened to you.

When i try to post something it brings up a quote from another thread and i cant remove it.

Would also just like to say hat off for helping the site to run more smoothly.

It might be me (probably) and sure i am doing something wrong .

Pete.

I thought it was a caching problem (computer related, as opposed to forum related) although if it's happening for others it might be the way the forum is caching your data. I'll have a look when I'm at a computer and see if I can do anything about it. 

No idea, the caching is already off on the forum. It'll be something to do with individual computers, you could try to clear the cache to see if that works but after that I have no idea :blink:

On 1/22/2016 at 2:26 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Maybe one for you Matt.

I know it was mentioned on another post and had happened to you.

When i try to post something it brings up a quote from another thread and i cant remove it.

Would also just like to say hat off for helping the site to run more smoothly.

It might be me (probably) and sure i am doing something wrong .

Pete.

Oddly enough I'm getting exactly the same thing on a different thread - this one's clear. But tried to post something on a thread I posted on last night, and it just brings up the last thing I quoted and locks the page, so I can't even type any text - what's that all about?  :mellow:

44 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Oddly enough I'm getting exactly the same thing on a different thread - this one's clear. But tried to post something on a thread I posted on last night, and it just brings up the last thing I quoted and locks the page, so I can't even type any text - what's that all about?  :mellow:

I'm wondering if this is a compatability issue, as I've just tried on both my tablet and phone, and would have been able to post normally in the same thread that's blocking me on the PC.  

Having a look at something now and seeing if Chris wants to do it, it's not a quick fix.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Having a look at something now and seeing if Chris wants to do it, it's not a quick fix.

Cheers Matt.