British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Chris Perkins

New Forum 23/12/2015

The forum was upgraded last night. It seems to be up and working, but there are likely to be little things that will need perfecting. I'll also need to add some minimal advertising.

Please report here if you notice any issues.

So far the quotes don't seem to be showing up properly and signatures aren't right - these are both being re-built in the background.

Mmm ..  I guess my only comment so far is it's very different. 

Instead of buttons to find which topics have been updated with new material I just get a stream of posts.  Which is going to get a bit difficult to navigate to find the one thread I'm interested in when there are another thirty replies about Victorian pennies..

Very different from how I used to navigate.  But I guess see what others think..

It's also all quite .. big.  What I see on my laptop now looks very much the same as what I get on my phone.  There's a lot of white space etween posts .. presumably to leave space for my avatar and sigs.

Before they were different.

Sorry.  Feeling a bit Luddite today.  :P

Edited by TomGoodheart

I logged in and noticed that there were a few unread posts that the forum considered read. Maybe that's just a consequence of the migration but I'll see if it happens again.

I'm on my iPhone and in general most is working ok for me! Loving the new layout Chris, it's brought the forum well up to date and once everyone has had a play they'll get used to it. 

Good job and I'm sure everyone will come to appreciate the time/money you've spent getting  it looking new and fresh. 

My only qualm is that it hyphenates my words when they run into a new paragraph (on iPhone) which is a literary faux pas IMHO! :P

Ooooo, love that it makes your smiley a smiley before you submit :)

edit: I can see it makes the word whole again once posted so maybe it's just my phone!

Edited by Nordle11

Looks great on my Win10 machine, not tried it on the Ipad yet

:)

FYI - On my phone when I click on a thread with a new post it doesn't take me to what I haven't read but to the original post itself, then i have to find the last post. 

I had problem inserting a link, ending up just pasting the URL which seemed to work. Can't find a button to review what I've written before I post

Edited by davidrj
Just to see if it worked!

Can't see a member's list under this new set up.

5 hours ago, Chris Perkins said:

The forum was upgraded last night. It seems to be up and working, but there are likely to be little things that will need perfecting. I'll also need to add some minimal advertising.

Please report here if you notice any issues.

So far the quotes don't seem to be showing up properly and signatures aren't right - these are both being re-built in the background.

Chris, When I sign on, the following code comes up...2S100/1 "Page doesn't exist". If I hit activity after this code, then the Forum come up correctly. Just a fyi...

Bored at home so did a bit of UAT;

1. In ‘online Users’ > ‘Filter By’ = There are 2 ‘Members’, one with a period and one without

2. As 1949 says, there is no ‘Members’ section (the above only filters online members)

3. As above, when I click on a thread with a new post it doesn't take me to what I haven't read but to the original post itself, then I have to find the last post. Doesn’t happen every time but does happen on both laptop and iphone.

4. When searching a second time within the flood control limit, you don’t get the usual message of why but you get a screen that reads “Sorry there is a problem” then a time limit, then “Error code: 1C205/3”.

5. It isn’t possible to search anything less than 3 characters, I find myself doing this a lot for things like ‘Penny KN’ or ‘Gouby X’, you just get threads relating to pennies and Gouby.

6. It is probably part of the problem you are already aware of, but I cannot change my signature.

7. As above, you cannot preview your posts before submitting.

8. All my old notifications have disappeared, not too important though. But I did search through them sometimes to find content.

9. Is the store button supposed to take you back to Predecimal main page, because it just shows a blank page at the moment?

10. The message box interferes with my iPhone's diction, for instance I cannot put a period by double tapping space and it doesn't auto capitalize the first word of a new paragraph anymore

Questions

1. What is an ‘Expert Member’ which is a filter on the ‘Online Users’ section?

2. Do you automatically follow any thread you post in? Because pretty much every thread is in ‘Content I Follow’?

3. Is there any chance of lowering the flood control time limit for searches? It makes it very difficult to do anything quickly, but I appreciate it is there for a reason.

4. In the advanced search area, you can filter by number of ‘Comments’, ‘Reviews’ and ‘Views, what are the reviews?

Comments/New things

1. The new activity streams are really good, lots of ways to filter and you can also see threads that you have started.

2. Before on the ‘Calendar’ you could see whose birthday it was, but now it shows ‘1 birthday’ and you have to go into the date to find out who. Minor inconvenience J

3. I’m scared of the ‘Mark Site Read’ button being so close to the ‘Unread Content’ button. I’ve already accidentally clicked it once L

4. ‘Reason for editing’ is a nice little feature.

5. You can have group messages now as oppose to one message per person, excellent!

6. You can also add folders in your personal messages in order to group them by what you want, that’s very handy.

7. You can hover over a thread title and it will show the original post, and also the last post.

I hope that helps, overall I'm really enjoying playing around on all the new features, great update :)

Edited by Nordle11
  • Like 2

P.s - someone has liked one of my posts since the change but it doesn't say who it just says 'someone has liked a post you made' and that's it

Mmm ..  Just not to my taste.  Too much white space. 

Plus previously I had all the new posts listed as updated topics.  Now I get an entry for every post so there are five entries for Pledge Penny.  I can't see a way to just have it tell me there's a new post within that topic ...

New.jpg

Edited by TomGoodheart

Hard to test as I've read most of the posts in the last 15 minutes but have you tried looking at 'Unread Content' as I think it shows the threads and not every post. You're currently looking at 'All Activity'. If not, go to 'Unread Content' then 'Edit This Stream' and choose 'Topics' in the 'Content Types', I think that'll give you what you need Richard. 

Yay!  Cheers Matt  That worked!  :D

Not overly impressed. I now get emails because I 'follow' threads (which I never did before). email overload is a problem without the forum adding to the list. As with Tom, I think there is too much unused screen now. If the screen is there it is better used than not. It's as bad as a pdf in that respect. I assume this layout is to make it 'up to date in appearance', in which case I would like to revert to using Hengist Pod's square wheel.

Go to your account settings Rob you can turn off the notifications by email, it's just defaulted to that but you can change it to suit your needs.

The added functionality that came with the update by far outweighs the problem with the white space, but I do agree there is a big chunk of unused screen. Maybe this is where adverts are going. 

Edited by Nordle11

23 hours ago, Mr T said:

I logged in and noticed that there were a few unread posts that the forum considered read. Maybe that's just a consequence of the migration but I'll see if it happens again.

Doesn't seem to have happened again.

For some reason that I was never able to fathom I've always had two names to my account. One for signing in and the other for display.
The new system appears to have thrown away my signing in name and will only allow me to use the display name.
After a bit of frustration at having to sign in with facebook and being a slow learner I have now realised that my display name is now my signing in name.

It must be an age/luddite thing. :(

I tried signing in using Facebook, got an error message saying davidrj was in use by another user

11 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Go to your account settings Rob you can turn off the notifications by email, it's just defaulted to that but you can change it to suit your needs.

The added functionality that came with the update by far outweighs the problem with the white space, but I do agree there is a big chunk of unused screen. Maybe this is where adverts are going. 

Just a thought about that - it doesn't allow you to completely opt out, so I've gone for one e mail a week, containing all notifications. 

That's a good point actually, some of them are greyed out and you can't change them which is a little annoying. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

That's a good point actually, some of them are greyed out and you can't change them which is a little annoying. 

It is a bit. Not sure why a complete notification opt out isn't available. Maybe Chris can tell us. Might just be the way the software has been built.    

1 hour ago, davidrj said:

I tried signing in using Facebook, got an error message saying davidrj was in use by another user

I got the same message for my username, David. 

Edited by 1949threepence
spelling error !