British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

A worn hammereed but what? Short Cross penny.......

Hi All

I have what I think is a short cross penny, possibly Henry II. I have no idea about hammered coinage and really wouldn't no were to begin.

Could you kind folks please help me identify the coin. It is definately worn. Is it worth anything?

Hope the picture is OK

Thanks all in advance

Regards

Brian

post-8845-0-79588600-1450739116_thumb.jp

Never rains but it pours ... another penny though! :) Should be a challenge even for the experts!

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

I have to keep some consistency :D. I also like to give out a challenge. I can't even remember how I got this one. Its been in my OTHER box for a while! Just got curious.

Edited by bhx7

That striking band and crude legend??? On first glance I don't think it's short cross at all?

Edit: I've had a quick scan, but I just don't have the literature to get anywhere near this one. It could either be something incredibly exciting and crude from the Angevins, or a very crude contemporary short cross forgery? There's just that tantalizing bit of extra detail and positioning of marks in the reverse quarters that make this look unusual? The legends could also be fake, or crude emergency issue?? Interesting

Looking forward to hearing the outcome on this one! Some of the reverse legend looks to be ...ARD ON (maybe CANT, but that would fit?).

OR, of course, Richard I?

Edited by Coinery

I think I make out Henricus and civitasd???????, short cross penny

VLARD ON CANT, so Cl.2-4b i.e. Richard I.

Struggling a bit with narrowing it down further though due to no detail.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Definitely impressed. So is it worth anything at all or is it to worn.

Thanks

Brian

So maybe £8-£10 with the wind in the right direction ?

Still like the bronze stuff ?

Have a load of cut halfpennies and 4 hammered pennies, all London mint and Edward, I think. Just picked them up when picking up other items. Also quite a few Roman, but I do live only 2 miles from two Roman settlements!