British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
palves

ID please

Can you please help me ID this coin.

I do not have better pictures.

Thank you in advance.

PA

post-5518-0-67978600-1450715790_thumb.jp

post-5518-0-03057100-1450715801_thumb.jp

waiting the experts I try

Edward II

Penny

London

class 10cf2 with HYB' at the end of the legend ...

Matteo :)

I'm going 10cf3

Just out of interest, what is it that swung you for 2 Matteo? :)

I'm going 10cf3

Just out of interest, what is it that swung you for 2 Matteo? :)

the crown ... I used the SCBI 39 ( the North collection ) and I find that this coin is quit similar to n605 and others

Agreed re the usual hook. I finally decided on 3 because of the overall height of the side petals of the central lis. The upper arch of the side petals tower well above the other ornaments, that's what swung it for me.

Will have to revisit it again later. All good fun! :)

Just out of interest, how useful do you find the majority of images in the SCBI book? I always imagined them to be grainy and of limited use, do you find it generally useful?

This is the link to the UKDFD homepage for the Edward Penny series...

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/edwardian-Pennies/Edwardian%20Pennies%20P1.htm#The groups

Edit: make sure you scroll right to the bottom of this link :)

Edited by Coinery

Thanks for the link ... I have to admit that I knew already it.

About the images in the SCBI are not of good quality but there are so many exemplares that usually you can find all you need .. for example for class 10cf3 I discovered that many pennies have chin broken ...

Usually I use first the galata guide ( there are geat images ) and then the SCBI

Usually I use first the galata guide ( there are geat images ) and then the SCBI

Yes, I generally go Withers, then a quick scan in North Hammered Coinage, before a minute crawl of Rod Blunt's pages. I might have a look at acquiring the SCBI book in the new year? In time it might be nice to pick up a few of the coins from that collection! :)

Does anyone have a preference for a particular edition of the SCBI 39?

Absolutly !! In fact I have bought the SCBI 39 especially because I've got two pennies published on this book ...

I think there is only one edition of the SCBI 39

• Like 1

Very welcome expertise Matteo, we need this level of knowledge alongside Rob and Clive (and now Coinery of course (and many others on here I haven't mentiioned I am sure) )! :)

I will get that far back in history eventually!

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 2

Nicely put, Paulus, it's great to have collectors with Matteo's understandings amongst us...and on young shoulders, too, if his profile is anything to go on? :)

I asked about editions because I thought I'd glanced somewhere on the net something about updates/updated???? I obviously can't find it now (of course, and typically), but thought I'd better ask anyway. :D