British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
secret santa

LCA March 2016

Does anyone know who "Elstree" is ? It seems strange that he/she is selling some coins that were purchased quite recently (Last year in one case) unless something unfortunate has happened. Some lovely pennies.

Think if he wants to be known as elstree collection thats his buisness and not for a forum.

Sorry if i was a bit sharp.

Yes i know whos collection it is but if he wants to keep it private,would not like anyone to say please :)

Does anyone know who "Elstree" is ? It seems strange that he/she is selling some coins that were purchased quite recently (Last year in one case) unless something unfortunate has happened. Some lovely pennies.

Well I've no idea who he is, but will certainly look forward to seeing what he is selling come the March 16 LCA.

Any outstanding examples you can quote would be welcome.

Well I've no idea who he is, but will certainly look forward to seeing what he is selling come the March 16 LCA.

Some nice pennies on the LCA site.

Think if he wants to be known as elstree collection thats his buisness and not for a forum.

I consider myself told off - subject closed.

A lot of secrecy, well no big deal it is his or her business. I don't recall Colin Adams or Ms. Norweb having any issues with his & her coins. A well-known collector (as opposed to investor) might have a reputation and therefore provenance that would add to value reached at time of sale IMHO.

Edited by VickySilver

Not sure Vicky and i know we are going off the subject.

Provenance on PENNIES i dont think adds much premium if any at all.

If a penny is £2k + as an example its because its nice and possibly scarce obviously there are exceptions.

I would not be bothered if its Ms Norwebs or Ali Bongos.

Nice coin and a good price i would be happy.

Dont think its secrecy more to do with privacy.

Some of the best collections currently of pennies the owner wants to stay private and doesnt want bells ,drums and bands playing.

Pete.

Perhaps Secret Santa is playing games with us all, and the Elf tree is where he grows his ‘wonderland’ pennies.

I have already sent him my Christmas ‘wish list’ letter, and can’t wait until the big day arrives………..but please no chocolate coins this year………..just your 1843DFF would make me very happy!

Perhaps Secret Santa is playing games with us all, and the Elf tree is where he grows his ‘wonderland’ pennies.

I have already sent him my Christmas ‘wish list’ letter, and can’t wait until the big day arrives………..but please no chocolate coins this year………..just your 1843DFF would make me very happy!

Are you sure you've been a good boy ?????

Some nice pennies on the LCA site.

Yes indeed - thanks Pete. Hadn't realised they'd already be on the website. Some absolutely brilliant specimens there. Will fetch a lot of money. I think those bidding estimates are very conservative, given the very high quality.

Yes have to agree but gets peoples interest,another reason why i have to go :)

Some date gaps, and I'm a little dubious about the 1882 no H, but this is more than made up for by the exceptional quality elsewhere. All I can do is save a bit between now and then, and go all out for one specimen. Wouldn't be able to afford more than one, especially with the 17% buyer's premium on top. Don't want to lose out completely on this rare opportunity though.

• Like 1

Think you will find not many gaps.

That is just a few of the scarcer ones i think will be sold.

The 1882 no H has been discussed numerous times and not one i look for anymore as always have doubts.

Pete.

One of the gaps I'd like to complete in my collection is the F74, F76, F77 and F78, to complete all 1874 variants. Unfortunately there are no 1874's in those specimens on offer in the Elstree sale.

You never know, maybe they've just not added the whole collection yet..

You never know, maybe they've just not added the whole collection yet..

Clearly we don't know the circumstances underlying the sale. The vendor may still be in two minds about the remainder of his collection, or may have just decided to sell the ones already listed.

Possibly some more will emerge at a subsequent auction, or maybe, as you postulate Matt, there will be further additions to this auction, given that it's still nearly 3 months away.

Well I'm not 100% sure but I really don't remember seeing the Gouby X, the 1909 Freeman 169 or the 1922/27 just to name a few when the preview first came out, so maybe they're just slow in the process of getting the whole collection up.

We can be hopeful, at least!

They always only post a few at a time, just enough too dangle the carrot

They always only post a few at a time, just enough too dangle the carrot

That's good news, this should be a bloody good one for the penny lads then if they've started by listing this lot!

I'd love that Gouby X. £300 it's not going to happen.

Too right, double that's not going to happen either..