British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
IanB

1897 Penny

I am trying to have a go at grading and identifying any issues before purchasing and this coin has caught my eye on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151909645381?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have looked at the Rotographic book Collectors Coins (Ihave the 2014 version) also checked some of the auction sites and I think it is the standard 1897 penny.

However it just looks too clean, does it look like it might have been cleaned? I can see some fine line in the bottom right hand corner of the reverse.

Also the description mentions it is stained on the obverse, is that something I should be wary of?

I am going to estimate its grade at VF on the obverse but slightly better on the reverse.

If I am right, its not an expensive coin but I want to start sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Any help and guidance gratefully received.

It is better than VF but looks cleaned.

It definitely looks harshly cleaned to me, and the stain reduces eye appeal (and therefore value) for me - two reasons why I would be avoiding it regardless of the price. GVF possibly better.

And it's an auction of course, so impossible to say at this stage whether it is expensive or not ...

Edited by Paulus

Yeah definitely cleaned, I imagine to get rid of any verd it had because there's a spot left where the tide meets Britannia's legs.

I wouldn't buy it. It's not that brilliant a coin, and it's been cleaned.

1897 isn't a scarce date, and there are far better specimens out there, which you probably won't have to wait too long to see. .

You don't want to invest in an inferior coin and later on upgrade, only to have wasted money on the original. Better to buy a decent example rigght now.

Lots of fine lines, soft focus photograph, big scratch across Vickie's mouth. Not so great and I suspect that in the cold light of day those hairlines might jump out at you.

OK, if you could pick it up for around the current price it would be an interesting way of learning how a coin compares with eBay photos and possibly a useful learning experience. Though whether you think a fiver or so is worth such a lesson is up to you!

Personally I think I'd be inclined to look for a better example straight off.