British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

timbo

1922 27 reverse penny

????? :o

Chris P we really need a facepalm smiley..

Chris P we really need a facepalm smiley..

:huh: facepalm?? And if we get this, an index to help the fossils please.

Come on Rob, I have no doubt you 'fossils' can use google images! :P

Come on Rob, I have no doubt you 'fossils' can use google images! :P

You're as bad as my kids. If in doubt, their first recourse is to Google too. You are also using a completely new language

Having followed your advice I now know what it is, however, I can only conclude the internet is full of garbage. Why so many images of complete banality?

I'll remind myself not to banter with you Rob and if your kids' first port of call is to google everything then that's a shame. It's very much an Internet phenomenon and so the most appropriate media to find information on it, would be the Internet, hence my suggestion. I don't like the fact that you assume I just google everything either because I'm young or because I suggested for you to do so.

Edited by Nordle11

I don't mind banter, it's just that people brought up in the internet age have a different working mindset to those who had no option but to read books. On more than one occasion the reply to my question on this forum has been to use Google. It doesn't come as second nature. My kids read some books, and I'm sure others read them too, yourself included. I don't believe you can do without them. With a book on the shelf the information is always to hand whereas with the internet the search for information comes down to rankings. i.e. you may or may not find the article of interest 6 months down the line. It may have been removed, it may have been superseded, it is not permanent.

I very much doubt there is a book on emoticons.

I find the internet as big a minefield as eBay hence my reluctance to use it extensively. Many things that have been peer reviewed are subscription based which limits the amount of useful content. For every decent article, you then have the free for all that is Wikipedia, which for all its help has much content akin to a Swiss cheese. A couple of years ago I looked up three coin related definitions and found that two of them were way off, in fact one was the complete opposite of reality. Only the blissfully ignorant can afford to rely on Wikipedia, yet it is quoted on many occasions.

Yesterday I happened to look at the definition of halfcrown to see what was written. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_crown_%28British_coin%29

This also scores highly on the inaccuracy front. In a little over 4 lines of description there are 4 clear mistakes. The box of 'facts' on the right hand side is full of omissions/mistakes too. Why bother getting people to write these things if there is nobody to check it and put it right. This is how misinformation is spread, and the complete freedom to publish anything and everything without any checks is why I have a problem with the internet culture. We all get things wrong, and as individuals on this forum we have the ability to rectify mistakes, but in the wider world this is rarely going to happen because nobody is beholden to anyone - see the thread on contacting eBay sellers to try and correct them for example. It's their listing, so they are right and everyone else is wrong. End of.

Edited by Rob

Rob

Look at the hand because the face ain't listening.

I get this after buying Mrs Peter's luuvley daughters with their 1st cars.

I check the roof lininigs for footprints.But hey...What will be.

Again, it was banter, nothing more. Being under 30 on a forum where the average age is much higher you can appreciate that it is vey condecending to compare me to your kids and this was my point. I disagree with much of what you have said about the Internet however we are different generations and I can accept that, but what I didn't do was try to undermine you in any way by suggesting something that is clearly insulting, regardless of your intentions. You're a smart man Rob and I hold your opinion in very high regards, just please don't talk down to me like that.

Edited by Nordle11

For what it's worth I also love books! But you can't escape the amazing resource that is the www, which books can never hope to compete with.

I think the point you're missing about the web, Rob, is not everything has to be peer reviewed to be of value. For instance, when I put into Google 'frontera won't start clicking sound under bonnet (made up, by the way)' the information I find on the frontera owners' club forum that tells me 'ah, yes, there's a relay behind the nearside front light. It's a bad wet area for fronteras, just pull the connectors off and give them a rub with some emery paper,' I feel a very happy chappy! I think your librarian would be stumped trying to ordering you in a book with that snippet of info. in it, and you'd have to catch the bus for a week.

A lot of the most useful knowledge comes from the experience of others, they don't always have to be academic. ;)

Register ready to sell 16000 firm

Who is this Timbo ummm rather pain at the rear end.

Sounds like a Nigerian scammer to me

Edited by jacinbox

He has Prax showing up as a friend on his profile. How did someone like Prax befriend this guy in the first place?

Yeah just a random guy, he took over 7 months to post pics on his thread :D

Don't forget that you can add a friend and it shows up that they are your friend without the other person having to approve it, that's probably what happened.

Again, it was banter, nothing more. Being under 30 on a forum where the average age is much higher you can appreciate that it is vey condecending to compare me to your kids and this was my point. I disagree with much of what you have said about the Internet however we are different generations and I can accept that, but what I didn't do was try to undermine you in any way by suggesting something that is clearly insulting, regardless of your intentions. You're a smart man Rob and I hold your opinion in very high regards, just please don't talk down to me like that.

I'm not putting you down for being youthful. No.1 kid is 29, no.4 is 22. ie. the older kid is older than you (?). Both are frighteningly conversant with all things internet, as I get the feeling you are too

For what it's worth I also love books! But you can't escape the amazing resource that is the www, which books can never hope to compete with.

I think the point you're missing about the web, Rob, is not everything has to be peer reviewed to be of value. For instance, when I put into Google 'frontera won't start clicking sound under bonnet (made up, by the way)' the information I find on the frontera owners' club forum that tells me 'ah, yes, there's a relay behind the nearside front light. It's a bad wet area for fronteras, just pull the connectors off and give them a rub with some emery paper,' I feel a very happy chappy! I think your librarian would be stumped trying to ordering you in a book with that snippet of info. in it, and you'd have to catch the bus for a week.

A lot of the most useful knowledge comes from the experience of others, they don't always have to be academic. ;)

True. I can't disagree with that. It is just that every time I look at Wiki by chance, I see so many glaring errors that it is misinformation. The average person has considerable faith in what is written in Wikipedia, so it should at least attempt to be right. It would help if the author was contactable, so at least in true eBay style you could plead with him/her to correct it - even if to no avail. Major errors in 3 out of less than 10 coin related pages viewed is not good.

Edited by Rob

Well, it is possible to edit articles on Wikipedia if you disagree with them Rob!

And if you register as a user then your edits will appear linked to your user ID (as opposed to your ip address). After which you have privacy of an ID, can track your entries, edits and articles and have more editing tools available to you. You could upload your current blogs as articles if you wished ... it might even get you linked to others who share your interests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Why_create_an_account%3F#Benefits_explained

Just an idea!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Well, it is possible to edit articles on Wikipedia if you disagree with them Rob!

And if you register as a user then your edits will appear linked to your user ID (as opposed to your ip address). After which you have privacy of an ID, can track your entries, edits and articles and have more editing tools available to you. You could upload your current blogs as articles if you wished ... it might even get you linked to others who share your interests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Why_create_an_account%3F#Benefits_explained

Just an idea!

Hm. That's quite interesting. It is very open to abuse if anyone can edit the articles though. Might try later if it will let me.

I think there's some sort of ranking on the pages where some are completely open to be edited and some are locked. I've edited one, once, and it did it straight away without any problems. It was the article on 50ps.

And water under the bridge of course Rob :)

I should also perhaps add as an extra to the below quote...

"A lot of the most useful knowledge comes from the experience of others... "

This is why we love you, Rob, and the reason why this forum is great! ?

Any man that bought cider from Thatchers, when it used to be cider, is peer-reviewed as far as I'm concerned! :)

Merry Christmas chaps! (Sorry, got a 7 year-old lad...Christmas has only been days away for days!)

• Like 1

:D

Well put that man and merry Christmas too