British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
bagerap

1902 penny, which photo should I use?

I picked this up three weeks ago in a decades old Seaby envelope. I put up a phone picture at the time,

but I don't think these two taken with a fairly good Nikon are any better. Opinions please.

DSCN2989-horz-vert_zpsai8cdq0r.jpg

Nice coin the top one i assume is more of a likeness and would be the one i would keep.

The one below appears a bit dark ,but why you have the coin in hand your the best person to decide.

To make a decision i would say a picture between the two :P

It's got to be the first for me. To be honest though, it looks as if the former is too bright and the latter too dark, perhaps a middle ground will get the best of both worlds?

Great minds Pete, great minds ;)

Top picture for me also

Thanks gents. I'm starting to think that the phone pics were better than anything I can do with a camera.

DSCN2884-horz_zpsalgjkupo.jpg

Thanks gents. I'm starting to think that the phone pics were better than anything I can do with a camera.

DSCN2884-horz_zpsalgjkupo.jpg

Note to self. Don't try using the smallest tablet in the house when you have fingers like shovels.

• Like 1

Both sets of pictures are very good and can enable the viewer to determine the grade of the coin which is important. Less easy to know is the extent of the lustre on the coin but that will always tend to vary with the light that was used when the photo was taken , whether natural or artificial. Just as the light used when viewing the coin in the hand will affect the extent of lustre. It all depends on whether the picture is an aid to selling the coin or to capture the image for the owner's information and pleasure. Picture taken seconds apart will vary depending on light fluctuation. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

R

Thanks. I think that it just illustrates that I'm a truly crap photographer.

All in the lighting as has been said/beaten on, but personally I also like the more golden shade of the brighter first picture. Those are not bad at all, and better than my efforts, certainly!